“Luxurious Oasis in the Midst of the Old City”
Review of Riad Kniza

Riad Kniza
Ranked #18 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Bellevue, WA
“Luxurious Oasis in the Midst of the Old City”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

If you decide to stay in the Medina (that is, inside the walls of the old city), I recommend this gem of a hotel that provides a peaceful, luxurious oasis that is still close to the action. The moment you check in you're served traditional mint tea with an assortment of bite-sized pastries, and welcomed in the most genuine display of hospitality that you feel like an honored guest. The hotel is stunningly beautiful, authentic and cozy, complete with open-air, indoor courtyards, a lovely swimming pool, and a rooftop terrace where they serve breakfast. The service is outstanding - the entire staff warmly sees to all your needs, and helps set up outside excursions for you if you wish.
My husband and I stayed in the Senior Sultan Suite, on the first floor overlooking the main courtyard. It had a modern bathroom with all the conveniences a Westerner could wish for (even a hairdryer), and a beautifully decorated sitting room where a bottle of cold water and a tray of fresh fruit is provided upon your arrival. The suite also comes equipped with an air conditioner.
With a complimentary ride to and from the airport, it helped me feel safer in my first moments in Marrakech, and it's one less detail you have to worry about.

1 Thank Capybara22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
south east
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Amazing riad; pure opulence and indulgence and fantastic staff for whom nothing is too much trouble. The stay (booked direct) included airport transfers, a tour and soft drinks during the staff just added to the experience. It is truly a superb place to stay in an excellent location; just inside the medina but also walking distance to the new city. We will definitely go back, for longer if possible! So glad we followed the advice on Trip Advisor and booked here!

1 Thank TeeJaytraveller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

My Mum and I stayed in the Qamar Room during our wonderful week-long stay at Riad Kniza. We decided to stay there because of all the great reviews on trip advisor, but our main criteria was the fact that Riad Kniza is one of the few riads in Marrakech actually run by Moroccan people.

We were amazed by the beautiful architecture, as well as the sense of detail, which make you constantly look at every corner, be it in the couryards, the pool area or our gorgeous room. We also highly recommend having breakfast and meals on the roof terrace, as this is just amazing!

We enjoyed the opportunity of having a hammam and massage session, as well as a day trip to Essaouira, all perfectly organised. A special thank you to Abdou (you know why..) and to Kamal for picking me up sick! While I was sick indeed on that day, they both brought me back to the riad and called a doctor who came quickly, and treated me very efficiently!

All these factors combined made our stay exceptional, but the amazing staff there truly deserves a dedicated comment: we were constantly treated like princesses!
Kamal, Amina, Samira, and everyone working there are an example of kindness and professionalism, being sufficiently discreet, but greatly helpful. Everything is made in order to please and satisfy guests, and nothing is impossible here. Shukran to everyone!

While we arrived there with certain expectations, we probably left even happier than we thought we would be. We will definitely come back to Riad Kniza for our next time in Marrakech, and would warmly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank anna_vitetta
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 September 2011

This was the most wonderful vacation I have experienced in many years and it is all due to the beautiful Riad Kniza and its staff. Upon entering the riad, you are greeted warmly by the host and are given drinks and immediately feel like you have entered a magical garden of delights. The rooms are beautiful, with their moroccan tile, plasterwork, hanging lamps and lovely carved furniture. The staff keeps the entire riad spotless and we always had a selection of cookies and fruits to eat everyday. Every morning we either had a delicious breakfast in our rooms or downstairs in one of the lounges. The courtyards are tranquil...the only sound you hear comes from the fountains. Every amenity has been furnished for your pleasure, and the staff is there to await your every desire. We ate on the rooftop terrace one night and it was truly a wonderful dining experience. From our own personal waiter, to the fabulous food and Moroccan wine, to the lovely view of the Mosque, it was really memorable. We met the owner of the Riad, who became our most charming companion. One day he even took us on a walking tour of the Medina. Awesome! I never felt like I was in a hotel, more like I was a guest in a friend's beautiful home. The Riad is located within the walls of the old city, the Medina, which is awash with the sights and sounds of the marketplaces, souks, and city squares. I was with my two daughters and we did much shopping within the Medina. It was a lot of fun bartering with the store owners to get good prices on our purchases. The three of us will be traveling back to Marrakech..sooner rather then later and we will definitely be staying at the Riad Kniza.

Room Tip: Any room you choose is a wonderful choice....
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 September 2011

My husband and I began our Moroccan trip at Riad Kniza. We spent 4 days being totally pampered at this beautiful riad. Every room and public area is beautifully decorated with stunning fabrics and antiques along with exqusite contemporary and traditional moroccan paintings. Our room was the Junior Suite Loubana. On our arrival it was covered with rose petals. The scent was heaven! The staff treated us as if we were the only guests. The warmth and friendliness was beyond compare. The daily breakfast was served to us on their beautiful roof top terrace. The elegance in presentation and the warm service added to the sumptuous meal. We choose to eat several dinners here and they were all fantastic. After extensive research of riads for our trip we hit the jack pot! Opulence,warmth of staff,and a great location made this a magical experience.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Just what you need after a trek through the narrow streets of the Souks. On your doorstep is the bedlam of one of the most vibrant and colourful markets in the world but you close the door and you are in the welcomed luxury of Riad Kniza. What makes the place special however is the staff. Looked after by Samira and her colleagues, particularly Mustapha, nothing is ever a problem - you feel very much at home. It is they who make Riad Kniza what it is. Don't even bother looking for alternatives, unless of course Kniza is fully booked!

Room Tip: They are all beautiful
Surrey
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The Riad Kniza is in a great location to explore the sights of Marrakech, taxis are incredibly cheap in the city so any sights which are too far to walk to can be easily reached by taxi. I have read some reviews which complain that taxis cannot drive right up to the front door - obviously not...this is Marrakech, an ancient city where the narrow streets arn't designed for 21st century vehicles! I'm not sure what these travellers had expected! The Riad is about a 2 minute walk from where the taxi drops you off.
The service at the Riad was exemplary and the food delicious. The Riad has a policy that you ring reception and ask for whatever you wish and they will bring it to you either in your room or on the roof terrace and nothing is too much. The staff are absolutley fantasic.
However, personally I did not like the Riad Kniza. I appreciate that I am going against so many other travellers and this is just MY opinion...
Although the service was faultless as I have previously mentioned, I found it an odd concept to call reception for a drink or snacks. I prefer a menu from which I can choose a cocktail or sandwich. I found that I would just have bottles of water as I was unsure what else could be provided. Obviously their system works but for me, no.
The Riad is very claustrophobic. I suppose any Riad in a bustling African city would be and as I have never stayed in one before I cannot compare. The wood panelling and the doors were, although beautiful to look at, very dark and gloomy. Our room felt dark, the one window looked into the central courtyard and did not let in much light. This combined with the dark furnishings, dark wooden shutters and doors made our room feel claustrophobic and dismal. It felt like we were staying in a museum (again, this is not my personal taste and obviously others would disagree!)
The bathroom was very basic, a bath with a shower attachment without a screen or curtain resulted in a flooded floor every time! There was a plug socket next to the bath which raised some safely concerns along with the lethally slippery polished floor! But, it was clean with complimentary toiletries and the staff decorated it with rose petals every morning.
The roof terrace was lovely - a wonderful escape from Marrakech on a hot afternoon. Unfortunately the pool is not on the roof so to cool off we had to run down 2 flights of stairs, have a swim and then dash back upstairs to the loungers on the roof.
Be aware that the calls to prayer will wake you up unless you sleep really heavily! Any sounds during the night seem to echo around the courtyards and we were woken up every night. Just make sure you bring ear plugs!
So, apologies to the vast majority of travellers who will be cursing this review but I personally would not rush back to the Riad Kniza. However, the staff and food were fantastic.

It is wonderful that the Riad Kniza is Moroccan owned and has remained traditional and authentic, but next time I would stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any which are light with windows looking out?
6 Thank chappalappa