“The perfect place”
Review of Riad Kniza

Riad Kniza
Ranked #14 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This is my first review on Trip Advisor and this was our first trip to Morocco and as our honeymoon we wanted something special... Riad Kniza didn't disappoint.

First of all we loved Marrakech. It was a culture shock at first and with the mixture of sights, sounds and smells, it's an assault on the senses but you can't help but get swept along by it's charm and the friendliness of it's people.

Down an anonymous side street on the edge of the medina, Riad Kniza in total contrast is an oasis of calm. From the moment we first entered to the moment we left we felt like nothing was too much trouble for every one of the polite and friendly staff. They all speak English very well and were very patient when I insisted on practising my not so good French!

Meals could be taken pretty much when and where we wanted and the food was delicious. The riad doesn't have a restaurant as such so evening meals have to be ordered in advance and, although a tad pricey compared to eating in the square, the food is superb... you have to try the lamb tagine cooked with figs, apricots and almonds.

The building itself is just stunning and each room is unique. The quiet courtyards, cool rooms and relaxing roof terraces have all been refurbished beautifully in traditional Moroccan style and are adorned with an impressive collection of antiques. The icing on the cake is that everywhere is kept spotlessly clean.

We had a package which included transfers, a couple of excursions, dinner for 2 with wine, free soft drinks and a complimentary massage along with the usual breakfast and I'd highly recommend it, it's great value. On the subject of excursions, the guide was great, very informative and helpful but I'd avoid buying anything on the guided tour of the souks as it was a bit overpriced and the spices we bought didn't seem to be the same thing that they demonstrated to us in the shop!

Thanks to everyone at Riad Kniza for making our stay so perfect... If you are planning a trip to Marrakech look no further.

3  Thank justinminns

Reviewed 26 September 2012

I just opened an account so I could write about my experience here. Riad Kniza is an amazing place, completely magical. You would never expect this quiet oasis to be nestled in this derb with all the busyness right outside and around the corner. Hicham and Amina were wonderful from the moment we began emailing about a month before my trip right up until the second we left. Always sweet and ever accommodating, they made our short stay in Marrakech fulfilling and enjoyable. Since my boyfriend and I were only staying in Marrakech two nights (our first and last night in Morocco), they set up a half day tour of the city when we arrived with a wonderful guide, Moustafa.

Moustafa was amazing; he was incredibly informative and genuinely cared that we learned about the culture and history of Morocco and Marrakech. He also took us through the souks, which would have been intimidating that first day without him. After we told him the sites we were interested in seeing, Moustafa explained exactly what we'd go over that day and how to pick up our tour by ourselves on the last day when we were back in Marrakech. That last day was a breeze (besides the heat), and we felt very comfortable when we revisited the souks as well (and was even able to find certain places we wanted to go back to without any problems).

We had a quick lunch the day we arrived at the Riad by the pool (before our tour); it was cooked fresh and was DELICIOUS (skewers). Breakfast in the morning (on the terrace!) was also very good and our waiter for both meals (I didn't get his name) was very sweet and professional.

The rooms were AMAZING! The first night we stayed in a "Deluxe Double Room" and it was delightful. Everything in the Riad is adorned with these gorgeous antiques and this room was no exception with its lamps and mosaic dresser (with matching mirror!) and canopy bed all decorated with rose petals (even in the toilet bowl!). The last night we stayed in the "Royal Bahia Suite." We learned Bahia means beautiful and beautiful is an understatement. We did not see how the Deluxe Double could be trumped (except maybe in space) but my goodness this was an exquisite, splendid suite!

Again, none of this would've mattered if it weren't for their lovely staff. Thank you so much for making our first trip to Morocco so special.

3  Thank Christina L
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Staying at Riad Kniza was everything we'd hoped a Riad experience would be.
We appreciated the authentic Moroccan decor and particularly enjoyed the serenity of the rooftop terrace.
The service was exceptional.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

My husband, son and I stayed at Riad Kniza for 6 nights this last July. We have lived in and traveled to many places, and there are few hotels where hospitality reaches these heights. The staff, front desk personnel and tour guides were all extremely polite, well-informed, patient and considerate. No matter how many times we asked for assistance, had a special request, needed a tour book or laptop loan or simply wanted yet another tray of their excellent mint tea with pastries, their response was always friendly and efficient. My husband and I would many times wake up early to take a stroll or shop in the Medina, leaving our teenage son sleeping-in until late in the morning. No matter at what time he awoke, the Kniza staff would invariably make his breakfast available to him and take it to his room without even mentioning the fact that breakfast service was long over. Their hospitality in fact went beyond our stay in Marrakesh. A few days ago (almost 2 months after we visited them), I asked for their help to obtain tracking information I was having trouble getting from a carpet supplier that was to have sent my purchase to the US. Kamal, the hotel Director, was kind enough to contact the supplier for me and, undoubtedly thanks to his intervention, I finally got my purchase sent and tracking number provided. You do not find this level of assistance anywhere I know.
Physically staying at Kniza was also a fantastic experience. The rooms are beautifully decorated and comfortable. The whole feeling inside the Riad is of elegant tranquility and simple beauty. Its location is excellent and easily connected to transportation services and main attractions. We hope to again visit this wonderful place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ana S
Reviewed 15 September 2012

What a fantastic experience in Marrakech! The Riad was a perfect oasis in the busy life of the Medina. We wondered where on earth we were going when our driver dropped us off at the gate of the medina, but after a couple of minutes of tagines and donkeys and grapes and prickly pears and raw meat and live chickens and fast scooters ......................!!!!!! , we were taken into a beautiful, calm, serene home, where everything you could wish for was given to you.

The breakfast was wonderful and the Moroccan dinner was just excellent.

If you want to stay in Marrakech, i would highly recommend this riad, especially the four-night package. Just perfect!

Room Tip: We had the lowest price room on the ground floor which was just excellent!
2  Thank jmr507
Reviewed 14 September 2012

If you're staying in Marrakech, I'd recommend you stay in a Riad. If you're staying in a Riad, I'd recommend you stay in a Riad Kniza.

The building has been beautifully restored and decorated and is kept meticulously pristine and clean. It is in the Medina so just outside the door there is a taste of the real hustle and bustle of this wonderful city.

The staff are helpful above and beyond any holiday staff I’ve seen in the past and I will genuinely miss some of them (especially the smiley Samira).

We will definitely be returning to Marrakech and won’t think twice about looking elsewhere for our accommodation.

1  Thank paullonghurst
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We spent four nights here last week, and the rooms, service, and meals were all impeccable. Samira at the front desk was incredibly friendly and helpful, and the servers at the rooftop restaurant always made us feel welcome. Our dinner on the roof was our favorite meal in Marrakech. Riad Kniza is perfectly located on a small, authentic (read: chicken coops, butcher stalls, etc.) market street -- easy to find once you get the hang of the winding streets, and about 15 minutes' walk from the hectic main square.

Room Tip: Suite Yacout was gorgeous
1  Thank mfp718