“Another wonderful visit”

Ranked #68 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Another wonderful visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I love this small luxury hotel. I came with my daughter in May and decided that my husband had to experience Dar Zemora for himself and it did not disappoint! It is a wonderful place to chill and relax and nothing is too much bother for the staff. Everything is done with a smile and willingness to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
The weather was gorgeous, food delicious and we can't thank everyone enough. We will be back next year.
Sally and Tim

1 Thank timp1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Difficult to find the words to describe just what a stunning place Dar Zemora really is, but here's some; beautiful, serene, magical, perfect to name but a few!
Myself and my partner stayed for 5 nights and I already want to return.
There are no faults to be found at Dar Zemora, it really is the most wonderful place I've ever had the pleasure to visit.
The staff are unrelentingly attentive and we were treated like a King and Queen!
The food is magnificent, every meal was fresh and utterly delicious.
The room was sublime, authentic and we were left wanting for nothing.
I could go on and on (as I already have to everyone that will listen) but I do not want to ruin the surprise, if you're here because you're considering booking a stay at Dar Zemora, then just do it, we did and it was the best choice we've ever made!
See you next year ;)

1 Thank MrMichael1987
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

As a repeat visitor to Dar Zemora who has just returned from his latest visit, I read the preceding review with dismay. I am replying because I don't recognise the description and think it unfair.

We can at least agree that the hotel is beautiful. For my part, I have always thought that it would make an idyllic honeymoon destination and am sorry that it disappointed (other couples have seemed more than happy). I think that the pricing of its rooms is in line with other choices at this end of the market.

Whether to stay in a riad in the Medina or in the Palmeraie is a matter of choice. I have done both and much prefer the peace and tranquility of DZ with its easy access to the centre for sightseeing etc, to being in amongst the noise and bustle of the centre 24/7. Easy access involves an efficient (and reasonable) fixed price car service to take you in and collect again in response to a telephone call when you are ready.

Food is a matter of taste; I haven't seen any other guests queuing up to put their takeaways in the fridge! On the contrary, the tasting menu is highly recommended - try the quail with bechamel sauce. As to the hotel not commenting on the reviewer bringing in his own food, it may be that he misinterpreted the endless efforts of all the staff at DZ to meet the needs of the guests. My experience is that nothing is too much trouble.

The review is out of line with the overwhelming number of positive reviews of DZ and no-one should be influienced by it.

Room Tip: Perla Suite for privacy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

We seem to have become a bit addicted to the sanctuary that is Dar Zemora! I've never returned for a fifth visit to anywhere else. Writing this review on our leaving day, sitting in dappled shade on the terrace of the Zahara suite, where Amina has just brought wonderful coffee after another delicious breakfast. We met some people here we met before..I think this is their ninth visit! I have a confession to make, which is that we don't really come for the delights of Marrakech (many though they are), we come for the special atmosphere of Dar Zemora, and the sun, to rest and recharge. I gather from Youseff (and its plain to see in the guest book) that more and more guests are returnees. From what I can see, the age of couples ranges from early thirties to sixties. I brought my twenty six year old daughter earlier this year, and she loved it, still describing it as "the highlight" of her year. One of the relaxing things is that staff are discreet, and not always hopping about checking if you need anything. Sure, you may occasionally have to go and find someone if you want an extra mint tea...but it means you are left in peace to relax. The staff are all very good, and nothing too much trouble. The food, as always, delicious. We are both "foodies', so really appreciate Jamillas cooking. No doubt there will be a sixth visit....

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We came here on the final stop of our honeymoon in March 2013 and all I can say to others is: don't do it!
There is no question that hotel is not beautiful - but you'd expect nothing less for the price: £295 for a suite and £195 for a double. Remember: this is Morocco and sterling goes a long way!
Despite the claim on its website, the hotel is not "a short step away from...Marrakech’s Medina". On the contrary, the hotel is hidden deep in the Palmeraie and you need a not unsubstantial taxi ride to get both there and away.
While this could lend a wonderful air of privacy and exclusivity, the problem comes with the *appalling food* served here, starting at breakfast with the stale pasteries, the cheap, sugary yoghurts, the low-quality, cardboard breads. The fact that the food was so inedible made the measly portions a blessing.
We had a (very expensive) tasting menu dinner on our first night and honestly, I felt sick halfway through and couldn't finish it. There was - quite literally - nothing that wasn't beige, soggy and entirely bland. Not a vegetable to be seen. It was like student cooking at its very, very worse. I was still feeling icky the next day.
We were here for three or four days and ended up getting a taxi to take us to the nearest supermarket and stacking up on food for breakfast and dinners. We were so frustrated with the hotel that we were completely unembarrassed to ask them to keep our food in the fridge and asking them for it at every mealtime. The fact that they never commented this weird state of affairs suggested they were either used to people doing likewise - or didn't want to know that their chef was substandard. (Which explains how the chef gets away with being quite so appalling!)
It wouldn't have mattered so much had we not been paying a king's ransom for our stay - and if we'd been able escape to nearby restaurants As it was, however, the exclusive situation of the hotel left us feeling trapped.
Please don't make the same mistake as we did and stay here. Morocco is overflowing with wonderful hotels that don't rip you off when it comes to the all-important details ....like food.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MidnightMoon2013
Lindsay K, Owner at Dar Zemora, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
The Palmeraie is a location of choice for visitors to Marrakech. Dar Zemora is one of the closest and more easily accessible hotels to the Medina of those located within the Palmeraie.
Our food is highly commended as can be seen by other reviews as to quality and cost both before and subsequent to this reviewers 2 night stay, 6 months ago.
The hotel has no recollection of any request being made to store food in the hotel's fridges, let alone serving it to a staying guest, which would not have been done without detailed discussion between the Management and the guest.
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This was our second stay at DZ and it was good as the first. DZ really has a charm about it, especially if you want peace, tranquillity and put a premium on not feeling like you are in a hotel but a house / villa that happens to have guests. Having previously stayed in the Zahara Suite we tried the Pavilion Suite, which has its own pool and 2 bedrooms, of which we only used one. We are glad we made the switch - the hotel was virtually empty ( totally other than us for 2 days and then just 2 other couples) but the privacy in the Pavilion is excellent. The bedroom was good, with a v good bed & the sitting room v good as well, not that we used it that much. Staff v good and helpful. Their food was as good at the restaurants we tried and we have been to Marrakesh 6 times before. We wouldn't go anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

My wife and I chose Dar Zemora to stay for a short break in Marrakech after extensive research on Trip Advisor. We were looking for a lovely, charming boutique hotel where we would be made to feel valued. We didn’t want to stay in the Medina as we felt that after a day’s sightseeing, it would be nice to relax and unwind a short journey from the hubbub and bustle. As it turned out, we loved the sights, sounds and smells of the main square and the souks, adored visiting the Palace and other sights recommended by the wonderful manager, Youssef, but as we expected, were glad to get back to the peace and tranquility of the hotel for the evenings.

We enjoyed the dinners very much – the mix of International cuisine on two nights a week and Moroccan tajines served on five nights meant we could really enjoy high quality food, whether it was a reminder of home, or a sampling of what the locals eat. We particularly enjoyed the Moroccan evenings, and must throw in a special word for the chef, who not only cooks beautiful Moroccan cuisine, but makes a crème brulee style dessert to die for. The chef also accommodated my wife’s rather picky eating habits and omitted foods she does not eat. We did eat out a couple of nights, but found that the food served at Dar Zemora to be outstanding in comparison.

Our research told us that the staff would be attentive and caring, and agree they were both. No request was too much trouble – Youssef even went out on our behalf to buy a particular type of cooking oil that my wife wanted to try at home but was unable to find in the souks (more likely, did not know how to ask for it). Although there was a large family party staying in 3 rooms whilst we were there, we did not feel that we were neglected at any stage. The staff were warm, friendly and welcoming – but not intrusive. Our room (we stayed in the Perla suite) is absolutely lovely with a charming indoor lounge and a large outdoor lounge terrace where we ate our breakfasts.

It was a very enjoyable stay, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to others who would like to experience the joys of Marrakech, with a little luxury thrown in.

Room Tip: We chose one of the two suites, but from what we could see, all the rooms look lovely and are beaut...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple