“Great flexible customer service”
Review of Meriem Hotel

Meriem Hotel
Ranked #350 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great flexible customer service”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We visited Marrakech in this X mas and stayed in this hotel for 4 nights half-board. Our stay in the hotel was not a smooth ride as there were some ups and downs though all the problems were generally sorted to our expectations.

I booked this hotel through Travel Republic and had some reservations due to poor ratings. I e mailed the hotel 4 times as I needed some clarifications however did not recieve a single reply. My wife then called the hotel few times, still did not get reasonable reply, presumbly due to poor English of the person at help desk. We therefore arrived hotel without much expectations. Our flight was in the evening and by the time we reached the hotel was around 10.30pm. The hotel reception lobby was very much spacious and appeared grand although looked rundown due to age. When we submitted our details the gentleman at the desk appeared bit uneasy and started to talk in the phone to someone, and we realised something is not right. After a long chat he gave us the room key and was profusely apologetic and stated we are temporarily given a quad room ,not a family room and the problem will be sorted next morning. He did his best to sort what appeared to be a problem at the time of booking.

The room itself was not bad, had 4 beds in dormitory style. It had AC , Fridge and good sized flat panel TV with several chanels including BBC world. WiFi connection good. Good sized balcony overlooking pool area. Spacious bathroom, with separate WC, though bidet in the main section. Shower over the bath. Plenty of towels, soap and shampoo,but limited supply of toilet rolls. Beds were made on arrival . Safe needed paying.

We had breakfast in morning in one of the resturants. Plenty types of bread, different types of pancakes, salads, bolied eggs and sweets,quorn ham,yoghurt, orange squash, coffee and tea, which I did not like as it was quite light coloured. Unfortunately the breakfast menu remained same every morning. Staff was helpful and courteous and some spoke very good English. Resturants close around 9.30pm.

After breakfast we went to reception and met with a lady who looked like the manageress. She was very fluent in English and offered us a superior room from next day and in the interim two double bed rooms. She took us to show the rooms, however we decided to remain in our rooms as we did not want to change rooms twice. Since we missed our dinner on the first night, she said we could take our main meal flexibly, We decided to take the lunch which was quite good. Plenty of salads, Morocccan dishes of beef, chicken , pasta , meatballs,bolied potatoes, bread name a few. Drinks not included. The main meal menu changed every noon and evening which was quite good and possibly best of all the meals we had in Marrakech.

One could get very good xchange rate at hotel , 13 d per £ without a commision. Only drawback was they accepeted cash only for xchange.

We checked into the superior room next day. It was good size, 2 separate sections with one double bed and twin beds in other section, TV in each section, AC, massive balcony, spacious bathroom, sofa suite, small fridge and a coffee table. Hair drier in the bathroom.No tea/cofee making facilities. WiFi and TV connection were not good as previous room Telephone in each room.We had to contact reception as the bath was blocked and wass promptly attended. All the rooms were clean. Bed linen, towels are changed and rooms are cleaned daily . When we needed extra loo rolls, domestics promptly supplied them.

Half-board passengers have a choice in selecting the main meal, everyday. We were provided lunch on the day we checked out, since we missed the dinner on first day.

Hotel provides several excursions. Since we had several of excursions through an independent provider we obtained only one with hotel. That was for Moroccan cultural show at Fantasia Chez Ali, 20 d per each with a complimentary drink. There were two pools, not heated, so we could not use it. There was a coffee shop near the pool. We did not use it. You can get a city map free of chrage from reception. They also would provide valuble tourist information. There were massage, hammam , sauna and gym services in the hotel. I cannot comment on them as we did not use them.

The hotel is in new town walking distance to medina/souks/Jemma ElFna square, reachable in about 20 min. Grand taxi would cost 50 d, which accommodates about 5 people. We were told a petit taxi, max. 3 passengers, would charge 20d from hotel to square. There is a cash mechine closer to hotel, which has options in English. I used my Halifax clarity card to withdraw money, though not sure what was the exchange rates.

Overall our experience with this hotel is positive. Although there were some issues, they were promptly sorted. Staff were helpful and flexible. Particularly worth mentioning about the lead lady at the reception, cannot remember her name, who went extra mile to accommodate our needs. I read many reviews about thefts in some hotels in Marrakech, which we did not encounter in Meriem. It may not be the most luxurious hotel, at the same time rates are not luxurious. It provides value for money. If you are after 5* facilities, this is not for you.

Would we stay in this hotel if we visit Marrakech again? Perhaps !

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking pools and with a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This hotel is really bad and I don't recommend it to anyone especially if you are British. The staff in the hotel seem to have much more respect for French people. The hotel is not 4* it's like a 2* hotel, I paid for a superior room and the first room they gave me was dark and dismal with a broken shower there was nothing superior about it!! I complained and they gave my mother and I another room this room was better than the first but it doesn't look like an upgrade I dread to think what the standard rooms look like. I paid for bed and breakfast here and I regret that so much as I just wanted to have a nice relaxing Xmas break with good food. The food they serve here is horrible there is not one thing in their buffet I can say is nice and worth trying. This upset me so much because on Xmas day all I wanted to do was have a nice breakfast and enjoy my day and all I got was a plate of poo.
I am so glad I never paid for all inclusive as the dinner is just as bad as the breakfast and definitely not worth the money. I read good reviews about this hotel when I did my research and to be honest I am confused to why there are so many good reviews because this is the worse hotel I've stayed in and I travel a lot. Stay clear of this place it's a waste of money. There is no iron (they make you pay for a service) No safe (you have to pay daily for that) and 1 English language tv channel the rest is in French. Horrible horrible horrible

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank michelle a
Hassna K, Responsable relations publiques at Meriem Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dearguest we are anxious to inform you that our staff is not a racist and respects all the nationalités.our customers are kings.
Our rooms are clean, copious breakfast besides a big variation of our proposed sideboard.

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

leeds
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The stay was good as we spent 8 days in this hotel and it is value for money compared to other 4 star hotels in the area. i agree It probably has been a 4 star but is now a bit tired only the bedrooms.The staff were very helpful,rooms were cleaned every day. Mahmood the waiter was very helpful and kind when serving.
Breakfast was good and had a variety .Dinner was also good mainly Moroccan which we did not mind as it was halal.
Main attractions in Marrakesh were not far most of the times it took 30 minutes walk to get to Jamal Fina square
All staff especially the receptionists were very helpful, smiled and welcomed you all the time, The owner spoke to myself and asked if i enjoyed my stay at the hotel. He gave us complimentary mint tea and biscuits when we were leaving

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 1ayub
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

To begin with if you're looking for a luxury four star hotel this is not it. Three star at best but once you've gotten over that it's not too bad. We complained about our room as it was in a bad state of repair and we were moved to a superior room which was much nicer and closer to what you'd expect. The hotel has a very small gym and sauna but you have to pay £8 per hour to use them! Breakfast is a shambles with waiters rushing around but not restocking the little choice available, however dinner was really nice with lots of choice and good authentic cuisine! Cleaners are good they come every day and are friendly and efficient. Location is very close to the train station and once you get your bearings a short walk from Marrakech Plaza which is great. This hotel is very busy with lots of guests so it's very popular but I wouldn't return unfortunately. Think I'd dig deeper and go 5 star.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Monalisa121
Denia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We spent 5 nights at this hotel. It probably has been a 4 star but is now a bit tired. The staff were very helpful, the food a bit boring but it was value for money. The worst thing was the location, not in a particulaly brilliant area.

Room Tip: You need one with a balcony
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JuneD813
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

For around £30-40 per night this hotel does what you'd expect. I've read other reviews and wondered a little what people were expecting for the price. It is a basic hotel, clean but not spotless with pleasant effective staff from my experience.

It has a large pleasant foyer, petit taxis outside for which 25Dirhams gets you most places with some haggling, and smallish but functional rooms. We had to swap hours as the double bed we booked was two-singles but that was done with no fuss. Ours had working air-con (though it was a different unit from the original fitted to the room) & some great English speaking TV channels with movies on for free (Channel 2). All the floors were regularly bleached & mopped though occasionally the doors etc looked like they had some splashes up them from that kind of cleaning.

Being completely honest, the rooms were much smaller & older than the website pictures so i'm guessing there may be a slowish refurb going on. Also, having stayed quite a bit in Marrakech, the breakfast is quite limited by comparison to others (mainly breads & a little cereal). It was also quite chaotic & we ended up having to sit at tables that had not been cleaned from previous guests.

The only other minor downside was the hotel had a coach-party or two whilst we were there - given the price not that surprising. They arrived late, talked in the corridors until later & then were up early often shouting/dragging luggage about.

Overall though a perfectly acceptable hotel for the price & as I say you really are paying for a good central location - you can walk to some nice local restaurants (Bagatelle, Jo's, Trattoria) & shops in 5mins. Go with lower expectations than the website pictures (+ skip the b'fast) & use it as a base to enjoy the city!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilMN
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights. Its not a 4 star hotel but more like a 3 star.
Didn't hate it but didn't love it either.
The room: booked a double room; it's average in size. The bathroom
Is also average. No balcony. Please be aware that only superior rooms have a balcony and are larger in size (a bit misleading across some booking websites).
It was made up each day and swept.
Fridge and sitcom excellent.
Best thing was the honest housekeeping - nothing was taken. Having stayed in Marrakech 3 times before money was or makeup was always stolen from other hotels (worst being imperial holiday hotel).
Hotel: big and clean - 2 pools always clean as was the courtyard. Free wifi in rooms and throughout the hotel. 24 hour front desk - lovely older man in the evening who is very helpful.
Staff: mainly kept themselves to themselves - no pestering of excursions which was good. If you needed something they were attentive. Fairly friendly. I did hear a group of people getting told off for bringing food into the hotel ( I also did but they didn't say a word to me).
Breakfast: not the best in Marrakech that some hotels offer. Very Basic but did us ok.
Three sweet pastries (eg croissant)
Boiled eggs
French bread and Moroccan bread
Olives
Jam
Butter
Yoghurt
Cornflakes
On some mornings a lady will make a few Moroccan pancakes.
Major downside - once its gone it's gone.. They don't refill plates! So get down there early!
To be honest we went to a local cafe for breakfast and had a better one there.
Location: 5 mins walk from Zara and McDonald's
10 mins walk to train station
45 min walk to djem el fna /kotoubia
Taxi to katoubia should only cost 20 dirhams max
Taxi to al mazar cost 26 dirhams on Meter.
Everything is walkable if you don't mind the heat.
All in all - a clean basic hotel in a decent location with average rooms. would I stay here again? Perhaps.

• Stayed October 2013