“Hotel meriem... not worth your hard earned cash.”
Review of Meriem Hotel

Meriem Hotel
Ranked #347 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Marrakech, Morocco
“Hotel meriem... not worth your hard earned cash.”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Booked this hotel expecting good standard of service. But very disappointed with staff and how they treat people who do not speak French or Arabic- they just seem rude. The breakfast was not nice...tasted stale...nothing special. The price for additional food or drink was totally unexceptable ie very high. I personal hate the 6am to 10am breakfast buffet as I would have preferred to have breakfast when Iwas ready. I would rate this as 2 and half star....that being generous. My experience in ibis was far more superior and in future l will not rebook here. A complete rip off of my hard earned cash. Cant wait to fly back to UK.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sarah c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Have to agree with other people not a 4 star at all, 3 star.

went for a 3 nights break was very cheap, rooms are clean staff are friendly but the rooms are tired and old and need up-dating. no wifii in the rooms, but for the price I paid it was fine would have not been happy had I paid more. I paid 150 for flights and hotel.

the cab drivers will try to rob you from the hotel to airport it should not cost more than 50-70 dihrams just say no and walk along the road and get another cab.

location of hotel is good its in the new town of gellies and is 25-30 min walk to main square...or a cab ride 10 min away pay no more than 20 dihrams.

hotel breakfast is very average and get a room in the main building.

over all good for a cheap holiday.

Room Tip: cab fares do not pay more than 20-30 dihrams to the square they will try to rob you at any given opp...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank billa b
Cairo
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Location is quite central. Very close to center. Jamea el fena only a 1 eur taxi away.

Lot of restaurants around the hotel and staff were extremely helpful. Hotel is excellent choice if u will not stay in a riad (my favorite)

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank abdoatef
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

I have to agree with some of the other reviewers- this hotel would not receive a 4* rating in the UK. It is a little too tired and lacking in comforts.

However, it was actually better than I had expected, given the relatively cheap price we paid for our stay. The staff were pleasant, the breakfast was plentiful and fresh, the wifi was free (if occasionally patchy) and the lobby area was a great place to put your feet up with a cup of tea.

We ordered room service one night and were pleasantly surprised to taste some of the nicest Moroccan tajine and cous cous that we came across on the trip.

The pool area looked like it would make for an excellent place to spend a summer afternoon. It was very clean and carefully attended by the cafe staff.

The maid service was excellent- we always returned to a clean room and fresh towels.

All in all, we had a great trip and hotel meriem was an important part of that. I would recommend this place to all but those who expect a UK 4* standard.

Stayed January 2014
York
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I am very happy to stay in a premier inn in the UK, somewhere clean and comfortable. Traveling abroad we opted for a 4* to have a little luxury, but this did not come close to the same standard. The hotel was very dated and presumably got it's 4 stars in the 70s.

We arrived at around 9:30pm, we thought we had missed dinner but they said we could go through to the restaurant. There were cold left overs in the bottom of the buffet trays, including chicken pieces, potatoes, pasta and meatballs. There was also an unappealing selection of salad.
We went to dinner early the following day in the hope that the food was fresh and hot, (7:30 was the earliest which is not the best time for children) the selection was similar, two meat choices, rice and pasta.
We ate out for a couple of nights because we couldn't face the food, there were plenty of lovely places to eat around Marrakech and we were very disappointed that we had booked half board. All drinks including water cost extra.

Our rooms were a 2 star. There were no tea and coffee or bottled water provided. The shower was so weak and lost power when other rooms were using their shower and the bath was blocked. The bathroom was not a relaxing place to be and did not leave you feeling refreshed. The bed was uncomfortable and the mattress did not fit the base. The blanket was itchy and thin. My main complaint about this hotel is how smokey it was. We travelled with another family who were two doors down from us, and both rooms continuously smelt of smoke which increased in the evenings. There was loud banging noises throughout the night possibly the lift, we did not have a full nights sleep on any of the nights.

The pool was in the sun for about 2 hours of the day and was unusable as it was not heated. We spent most of our time wondering around Marrakech but really did want a pool day so we went for lunch at the Red House who let us use their pool for the day. If they had any rooms spare we would have swapped hotels in an instant.

We had a good holiday because we explored Marrakech and were with lovely friends but the hotel was so disappointing and I think the holiday would have been better if we had chosen differently.

Stayed December 2013

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We visited Marrakech in this X mas and stayed in this hotel for 4 nights half-board. Our stay in the hotel was not a smooth ride as there were some ups and downs though all the problems were generally sorted to our expectations.

I booked this hotel through Travel Republic and had some reservations due to poor ratings. I e mailed the hotel 4 times as I needed some clarifications however did not recieve a single reply. My wife then called the hotel few times, still did not get reasonable reply, presumbly due to poor English of the person at help desk. We therefore arrived hotel without much expectations. Our flight was in the evening and by the time we reached the hotel was around 10.30pm. The hotel reception lobby was very much spacious and appeared grand although looked rundown due to age. When we submitted our details the gentleman at the desk appeared bit uneasy and started to talk in the phone to someone, and we realised something is not right. After a long chat he gave us the room key and was profusely apologetic and stated we are temporarily given a quad room ,not a family room and the problem will be sorted next morning. He did his best to sort what appeared to be a problem at the time of booking.

The room itself was not bad, had 4 beds in dormitory style. It had AC , Fridge and good sized flat panel TV with several chanels including BBC world. WiFi connection good. Good sized balcony overlooking pool area. Spacious bathroom, with separate WC, though bidet in the main section. Shower over the bath. Plenty of towels, soap and shampoo,but limited supply of toilet rolls. Beds were made on arrival . Safe needed paying.

We had breakfast in morning in one of the resturants. Plenty types of bread, different types of pancakes, salads, bolied eggs and sweets,quorn ham,yoghurt, orange squash, coffee and tea, which I did not like as it was quite light coloured. Unfortunately the breakfast menu remained same every morning. Staff was helpful and courteous and some spoke very good English. Resturants close around 9.30pm.

After breakfast we went to reception and met with a lady who looked like the manageress. She was very fluent in English and offered us a superior room from next day and in the interim two double bed rooms. She took us to show the rooms, however we decided to remain in our rooms as we did not want to change rooms twice. Since we missed our dinner on the first night, she said we could take our main meal flexibly, We decided to take the lunch which was quite good. Plenty of salads, Morocccan dishes of beef, chicken , pasta , meatballs,bolied potatoes, bread name a few. Drinks not included. The main meal menu changed every noon and evening which was quite good and possibly best of all the meals we had in Marrakech.

One could get very good xchange rate at hotel , 13 d per £ without a commision. Only drawback was they accepeted cash only for xchange.

We checked into the superior room next day. It was good size, 2 separate sections with one double bed and twin beds in other section, TV in each section, AC, massive balcony, spacious bathroom, sofa suite, small fridge and a coffee table. Hair drier in the bathroom.No tea/cofee making facilities. WiFi and TV connection were not good as previous room Telephone in each room.We had to contact reception as the bath was blocked and wass promptly attended. All the rooms were clean. Bed linen, towels are changed and rooms are cleaned daily . When we needed extra loo rolls, domestics promptly supplied them.

Half-board passengers have a choice in selecting the main meal, everyday. We were provided lunch on the day we checked out, since we missed the dinner on first day.

Hotel provides several excursions. Since we had several of excursions through an independent provider we obtained only one with hotel. That was for Moroccan cultural show at Fantasia Chez Ali, 20 d per each with a complimentary drink. There were two pools, not heated, so we could not use it. There was a coffee shop near the pool. We did not use it. You can get a city map free of chrage from reception. They also would provide valuble tourist information. There were massage, hammam , sauna and gym services in the hotel. I cannot comment on them as we did not use them.

The hotel is in new town walking distance to medina/souks/Jemma ElFna square, reachable in about 20 min. Grand taxi would cost 50 d, which accommodates about 5 people. We were told a petit taxi, max. 3 passengers, would charge 20d from hotel to square. There is a cash mechine closer to hotel, which has options in English. I used my Halifax clarity card to withdraw money, though not sure what was the exchange rates.

Overall our experience with this hotel is positive. Although there were some issues, they were promptly sorted. Staff were helpful and flexible. Particularly worth mentioning about the lead lady at the reception, cannot remember her name, who went extra mile to accommodate our needs. I read many reviews about thefts in some hotels in Marrakech, which we did not encounter in Meriem. It may not be the most luxurious hotel, at the same time rates are not luxurious. It provides value for money. If you are after 5* facilities, this is not for you.

Would we stay in this hotel if we visit Marrakech again? Perhaps !

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking pools and with a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This hotel is really bad and I don't recommend it to anyone especially if you are British. The staff in the hotel seem to have much more respect for French people. The hotel is not 4* it's like a 2* hotel, I paid for a superior room and the first room they gave me was dark and dismal with a broken shower there was nothing superior about it!! I complained and they gave my mother and I another room this room was better than the first but it doesn't look like an upgrade I dread to think what the standard rooms look like. I paid for bed and breakfast here and I regret that so much as I just wanted to have a nice relaxing Xmas break with good food. The food they serve here is horrible there is not one thing in their buffet I can say is nice and worth trying. This upset me so much because on Xmas day all I wanted to do was have a nice breakfast and enjoy my day and all I got was a plate of poo.
I am so glad I never paid for all inclusive as the dinner is just as bad as the breakfast and definitely not worth the money. I read good reviews about this hotel when I did my research and to be honest I am confused to why there are so many good reviews because this is the worse hotel I've stayed in and I travel a lot. Stay clear of this place it's a waste of money. There is no iron (they make you pay for a service) No safe (you have to pay daily for that) and 1 English language tv channel the rest is in French. Horrible horrible horrible

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank michelle a
Hassna K, Responsable relations publiques at Meriem Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dearguest we are anxious to inform you that our staff is not a racist and respects all the nationalités.our customers are kings.
Our rooms are clean, copious breakfast besides a big variation of our proposed sideboard.