“Average family hotel”

Tropicana Hotel Club Paladien
Ranked #432 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 23 August 2011

A large hotel on the outskirts of Marrakech so a car or taxi is essential to visit the sights. A somewhat scruffy but adequate room with reasonably comfortable beds. The hotel has a large swimming pool which provides music all afternoon and evening for your entertainment whether you want it or not! Buffet meals are quite good, although the size of the dining room necesitates two sittings if the hotel is full. All in all reasonable value.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

We spent our first holiday in Marrakesh in July and really luved it, this is a great hotel but quite far from the centre but...mind you we enjoyed that bit as it was nice and quiet, The no 1 bus takes you into the centre. Bus stop is at the bottom of the road ocross from the
petrol St. No bus stop sign but you will see other people waiting.
There is also a supermarket down the same road as the bus stop and a couple of blocks down the road. About 10 min walk, go in the morning when it's cooler. Another tip take your ruck sack to get your water back into hotel... They'll think you've been out walking as your not aloud groceries in your room. I luved Marrakesh I hope you do too, think we will be back again:o)

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We have just returned from a week in this hotel and had a lovely, relaxing time. The hotel was very nice with good amenities. Our room was nice and clean and the cleaning service excellent (the only thing was that we had only 2 small towels on the first day but after asking at reception we received extra ones). Our balcony overlooked the pool so we had a nice view. We loved the pool and it was very welcome in the heat! There aren't any parasols around the pool which initially concerned me but there is a large area of shade under the trees which is more than adequate - I think this is why they don't bother with parasols.
The hotel is a little out of the way but is a short taxi ride to the main square - DEFINATELY agree a price before getting in a taxi. Our rep told us to expect to pay about 30MAD during the day and 50MAD at night. When we went down we agreed 40MAD before getting in the taxi but on the way home the driver tried to charge us 100! As soon as we refused he backed down - they just totally chance it! If you hadn't agreed a price before setting off though, it would be very hard to contest this at the other end. There is a supermarket not far from the hotel (ACIME - ask your rep for directions - pretty easy - right and then right out of hotel and then left and all way up to main road, forking on right hand side of garage) - probably feels further away because of heat! Good due to water etc being much more reasonable here than in hotel - 5MAD (about 40p) instead of 20MAD and about £1.60! If you want to buy alcohol you have to go in the morning and you have to take your passport! The hotel does serve alcohol (luckily as we realised a lot of other local hotels do not) but it is very overpriced.
We found all the hotel staff very nice, apart from the majority of the reception staff - upon arrival I asked, in French, if they spoke English and was almost scoffed at as if to say "of course!" - this turned out not to be the case in the majority of situations though and to get pretty much anything at reception I was forced to consult my French dictionary and speak in broken French! I was a bit upset as I was already trying my best and using whatever French I could - I thought being quite respectful. The hotel, overall, did seem to cater much more for the French guests, I suppose as they all speak the same language. A couple of times at the bar we were ignored as there were French guests to serve, even if they arrived after us. The breakfasts definately catered for the French - mostly just pastries and cakes every morning - quite repetitive. We really enjoyed the evening meals though - excellent. Would definately recommend half board as not that many places to eat nearby and the evening meals were nice. Also, on the Friday night they put on a Moroccan night - moved all the tables outside along with all the buffet tagines etc and put on musicians and belly dancers for entertainment - brilliant!
Jemma el Fna (the main square) and the Souks are definately sights to behold but we found one day enough - the intensity with which you're bombarded is overwhelming - if we were able to browse and observe things in more peace we would actually have bought more. Every time we even glanced at anything we were accosted. There are no prices on anything - be careful you're not fleeced (as I was) - if they suggest a price probably offer 1/4 of this and this is much more near the actual reasonable price! Beware of the henna ladies as well - it is lovely to have it done but make sure you agree a price before they start - some of them grab you and start putting it on without your consent! I didn't agree a price before hand and paid double what other girls at the hotel had paid - I paid 300MAD so about £24 (I had baragined this down from 500 already!) This was for my foot and ankle (one leg).
Beware of "illegal" guides offering to take you places - we went on a proper trip to the mountains organised with the reps which was safe, insured and not too expensive. You also get a guide and a proper coach. We had taxi drivers and even hotel staff trying to take us places for money - the reception staff member was visibly annoyed when I refused his offer! Stick to proper events. We probably wouldn't go again at this time of year as the heat was pretty unbelievable and not sure if I would return to a Muslim country again during Ramadan (it just meant that some things weren't open when they would have been etc although it was interesting).
Overall though we had a lovely time and the bad points above didn't affect us that much (I have just made sure I included them more for advice for others!) Wonderful, interesting, different, very hot! holiday.

Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights, half board at the beginning of August. We arrived at about 7pm, just in time for dinner, so quick and speedy check in and down for dinner. Good selection of tagine, meats and fish, along with veg, potatoes and pasta. Vast salad bar and dessert counter. A bottle of water at dinner is 20dh, this amount appears to be the norm in Moroccan hotels.

The rooms in the hotel were a little strange. We had a room with 2 toilet rooms and a bathroom. It was kind of like 2 seperate rooms with a dividing sliding door! Don't get me wrong-the extra toilet was handy with 4 girls all in one room. Sachets of shampoo and soap was provided. Very large balcony with plastic table and chairs. The air con wasn't great however, but as we were only staying for 2 nights, I didn't worry too much! I was able to sleep all night without discomfort. The furniture in the room was a little tatty, and the tv didn't work, but then we don't go on holiday to watch tv...! Our room over looked the road that runs along side the hotel, so no view, but we were there for 2 nights and only used the room to sleep in!

Breakfast was very good. Pancakes, omelettes, pastries, bread, cheese, yoghurts, freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee etc..

The pool area was very nice. You can hire towels at the pool side for 100dh deposit-this is returned when you return the towels-you can also exchange them throughout the day for clean, dry towels. Activities went on throughout the day, aqua-aerobics, volleyball etc. The pool is cold when you first venture in, like all outdoor pools but a great relief in the summer heat of Marrakech.

There is a snack bar by the pool side, however, another guest warned me that this was very expensive and the cafe just outside the hotel (out the main door, turn right, cross the road and walk a little to the right....basically adjacent to the hotel pool) was just a fraction of the price! My daughters and I went and all ate well for £6 in total...not each! £6 for 4 people to have pizza or panini and chips+drinks!!!! There is a strict no bringing food into this hotel policy! There is a large sticker on the front door, and a security guard that will stop you from bringing it in!

The hotel has a hairdressing salon, clothes shop and a tabacco shop (although we saw signs, we never saw this shop!)

We walked to Majorelle Jardins from the hotel (via the Acima supermarket on the main road) and it took us about an hour-we used the map that we'd been given at the airport and used hotels as landmarks to guide us. 40dh each entrance fee, and my 7 year old was free. Nice to walk round for an hour or so, and our suntans looked stunning in the photo's due to the vibrant colours around the gardens. The museum attached was closed for refurbishment, but we just wanted to go and see what all of the fuss was about. Grande taxi back to the hotel was 50dh-probably a bit over priced, but it's the amount I paid for all taxi's in Marrakech no matter where the destination was.

Taxi's are readily available outside of the hotel, day and night. The hotel is about a 10 minute taxi ride away from Djemaa square. 5 minutes from the train/supratours stations. Free wifi in the reception area and by the pool. Staff were all friendly. Would I return? Yes! It's a great base for exploring Marrakech-I have no doubt that we will be returning :-) Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2011

hotel has great pool and lovely grounds and rooms are nice. location is long way out with nothing local - just a small shop. food in restaurant in evening ok - nothing great. breakfast is poor. just cakes, some funny tasting cereal, weak tasting orange juice, cream cheese, and meat. omelette if you are lucky as chef turns up at approx 8.30am when breakfast starts at 6.30am. drinks are a rip off. £2 for a bottle of beer. 24cl- not even a half. there is draught but staff always say its not working. spirits are £5 and cokes are £2 a bottle. staff in restaurant are slow and miserable.bring your own alcahol from duty free and to eat if you leave the hotel - turn right at entrance and right again . 100mtrs on leftis small restaurant. pizzas £1, drinks 50p, salad 70p kebab and fries £2.50. - reccomended place. shame really as nice hotel but if you are not french then you are not catered for.. ! - more a 3 star hotel..

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Place to eat just outside the hotel turn right and right again. Bottle of water £2.00 in hotel so buy out side and bring in. Taxi if they offer to take you to the mountains it costs, the price of the Taxi and tip for the guide ( there was 3 of us he look for 450D we gave him 300D )+ all the stops on the way there and 100D for a 3 course lunch. This all adds up.
Found some of the staff nicer than other they where very nice if you tip. ( no one tip me to do my job) felt safe in hotel would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We arrived at this hotel quite late around 10pm. However, we were still greeted by very friendly staff who helped us with our bags and made the checking in as quick as possible.
We were welcomed by our holiday rep the morning after and he gave us a lot of information on what to do there. The reception staff also provided us with giant brochures of all the activities to do in marrakech, there were also day trips to other places such as atlas mountains, agadir and essouria.
Breakfast was roughly the same every day, so you were eating the same things all the time. However, there was a lot of variety. Things like pastries, fresh fruit, freshly made pancakes etc.
The pool was the best thing about this hotel - the pool attendants were soo friendly and chatty. They made the stay there very very pleasant and enjoyable. The pool was nice and lively with loud music and a good atmosphere. There was never a dull moment with some of the pool attendants doing amazing tricks and strokes in the pool.
There was also a ping pong table and darts board wich could be used free of charge.
There was also a hammam/spa which could be used as well.
Most of the staff spoke french. However, their english was pretty good as well - good enough to communicate with them.
The rooms were a bit dark and the painting in the room wasn't to our taste at all. But the air conditioning was fab - was 40 odd degrees celsius during the day and the air conditioning worked wonders (both during the day and the night).
There was always taxis parked outside the hotel so you didn't need to walk very far to get one.
The entertainment on a friday night was ace. Dinner tables were set up outside by the pool and there was moroccon music, singers and a bellydancer. Was a very fun evening!
This hotel serves as a great base to go and explore the rest of the city. Loved this holiday did not want to come back home. Would definitely recommend this hotel to all my family and friends. If I return to morocco in the future I would definitely stay at this same hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011