“ALL AROUND GREAT HOLIDAY!”

Tropicana Hotel Club Paladien
Ranked #430 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“ALL AROUND GREAT HOLIDAY!”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Me and a group of 4 friends stayed in this hotel for a week in Aug 11.
We paid 250 GBP each with EasyJet Holidays, I would say that this is very cheap for the hotel.
When we arrived, we checked in at reception quickly, the receptionist was very polite and told us that were not able to check in until 3pm (we arrive at the hotel at 11am). However after filling in our documents the porter advised that we can check in now (approx 12), I thought this was very good, you can apprietiate that the cleaners need to ensure the rooms are cleaned.
The porter checked us in and took our bags up to the room for us.

Once there we were ready to hit the pool, I must say the pool is very spacious however you need to get there early to get a bed! But we were able to lay our towels down on the grassy area which was fine.

They have a snack bar by the pool, with a good but limited menu, however the food is ok.

If you need to go into town of an evening you need to catch a short taxi ride from the hotel to the main centre, you need to negotiate your price before you get in the cab never pay more than 50Morrocan Dirhams they usually back down.

The souks and the medina are very good for cheap deals, as with most holiday places the people do hassle you, but if you ignore them or tell them no they will leave you alone.

If you would like to have somewhere sophisticated and nice place to drink I would definatley suggest the Sky Bar, its a roof terrace bar on top of a beautiful hotel looking out onto Marrakech!!

In regards to the rooms, they are spacious, and the cleaner comes every day to clean the rooms and change the towels, they are very trusting.
We also broke our shower head one evening getting ready, by the next evening the cleaner had reported it and a new shower head was fitted. The beds are comfy and spacious.

The staff are very friendly, as long as your friendly to them.

If you need an iron you can rent of a deposit of 200 dirham which is far.

I wouldnt suggest getting the food from the resturaunt if your b&b as they will charge you 13 dirham as a set price and the food is very limited, they have plenty of resuraunts in the town.

I would say of the below points to look out for :

* Make sure you tip the porter when you arrive and he takes your bags, as they do not allow food or drink to be bought in the hotel, however the porter let us slide with our duty free drinks.

* When in the streets be aware of the young boys begging, they try to get money from you.

* Get round the pool early for a bed.

* They have no fridges in the room, however we bought ice from the local supermarket and filled the sink to keep our drinks cool.

Overall it was a lovely hot holiday, fo the price we paid you cant beat it.!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank StaceyJ123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
portugal
Reviewed 23 August 2011

A large hotel on the outskirts of Marrakech so a car or taxi is essential to visit the sights. A somewhat scruffy but adequate room with reasonably comfortable beds. The hotel has a large swimming pool which provides music all afternoon and evening for your entertainment whether you want it or not! Buffet meals are quite good, although the size of the dining room necesitates two sittings if the hotel is full. All in all reasonable value.

Scotland
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We spent our first holiday in Marrakesh in July and really luved it, this is a great hotel but quite far from the centre but...mind you we enjoyed that bit as it was nice and quiet, The no 1 bus takes you into the centre. Bus stop is at the bottom of the road ocross from the
petrol St. No bus stop sign but you will see other people waiting.
There is also a supermarket down the same road as the bus stop and a couple of blocks down the road. About 10 min walk, go in the morning when it's cooler. Another tip take your ruck sack to get your water back into hotel... They'll think you've been out walking as your not aloud groceries in your room. I luved Marrakesh I hope you do too, think we will be back again:o)

• Stayed July 2011
Alloa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We have just returned from a week in this hotel and had a lovely, relaxing time. The hotel was very nice with good amenities. Our room was nice and clean and the cleaning service excellent (the only thing was that we had only 2 small towels on the first day but after asking at reception we received extra ones). Our balcony overlooked the pool so we had a nice view. We loved the pool and it was very welcome in the heat! There aren't any parasols around the pool which initially concerned me but there is a large area of shade under the trees which is more than adequate - I think this is why they don't bother with parasols.
The hotel is a little out of the way but is a short taxi ride to the main square - DEFINATELY agree a price before getting in a taxi. Our rep told us to expect to pay about 30MAD during the day and 50MAD at night. When we went down we agreed 40MAD before getting in the taxi but on the way home the driver tried to charge us 100! As soon as we refused he backed down - they just totally chance it! If you hadn't agreed a price before setting off though, it would be very hard to contest this at the other end. There is a supermarket not far from the hotel (ACIME - ask your rep for directions - pretty easy - right and then right out of hotel and then left and all way up to main road, forking on right hand side of garage) - probably feels further away because of heat! Good due to water etc being much more reasonable here than in hotel - 5MAD (about 40p) instead of 20MAD and about £1.60! If you want to buy alcohol you have to go in the morning and you have to take your passport! The hotel does serve alcohol (luckily as we realised a lot of other local hotels do not) but it is very overpriced.
We found all the hotel staff very nice, apart from the majority of the reception staff - upon arrival I asked, in French, if they spoke English and was almost scoffed at as if to say "of course!" - this turned out not to be the case in the majority of situations though and to get pretty much anything at reception I was forced to consult my French dictionary and speak in broken French! I was a bit upset as I was already trying my best and using whatever French I could - I thought being quite respectful. The hotel, overall, did seem to cater much more for the French guests, I suppose as they all speak the same language. A couple of times at the bar we were ignored as there were French guests to serve, even if they arrived after us. The breakfasts definately catered for the French - mostly just pastries and cakes every morning - quite repetitive. We really enjoyed the evening meals though - excellent. Would definately recommend half board as not that many places to eat nearby and the evening meals were nice. Also, on the Friday night they put on a Moroccan night - moved all the tables outside along with all the buffet tagines etc and put on musicians and belly dancers for entertainment - brilliant!
Jemma el Fna (the main square) and the Souks are definately sights to behold but we found one day enough - the intensity with which you're bombarded is overwhelming - if we were able to browse and observe things in more peace we would actually have bought more. Every time we even glanced at anything we were accosted. There are no prices on anything - be careful you're not fleeced (as I was) - if they suggest a price probably offer 1/4 of this and this is much more near the actual reasonable price! Beware of the henna ladies as well - it is lovely to have it done but make sure you agree a price before they start - some of them grab you and start putting it on without your consent! I didn't agree a price before hand and paid double what other girls at the hotel had paid - I paid 300MAD so about £24 (I had baragined this down from 500 already!) This was for my foot and ankle (one leg).
Beware of "illegal" guides offering to take you places - we went on a proper trip to the mountains organised with the reps which was safe, insured and not too expensive. You also get a guide and a proper coach. We had taxi drivers and even hotel staff trying to take us places for money - the reception staff member was visibly annoyed when I refused his offer! Stick to proper events. We probably wouldn't go again at this time of year as the heat was pretty unbelievable and not sure if I would return to a Muslim country again during Ramadan (it just meant that some things weren't open when they would have been etc although it was interesting).
Overall though we had a lovely time and the bad points above didn't affect us that much (I have just made sure I included them more for advice for others!) Wonderful, interesting, different, very hot! holiday.

Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights, half board at the beginning of August. We arrived at about 7pm, just in time for dinner, so quick and speedy check in and down for dinner. Good selection of tagine, meats and fish, along with veg, potatoes and pasta. Vast salad bar and dessert counter. A bottle of water at dinner is 20dh, this amount appears to be the norm in Moroccan hotels.

The rooms in the hotel were a little strange. We had a room with 2 toilet rooms and a bathroom. It was kind of like 2 seperate rooms with a dividing sliding door! Don't get me wrong-the extra toilet was handy with 4 girls all in one room. Sachets of shampoo and soap was provided. Very large balcony with plastic table and chairs. The air con wasn't great however, but as we were only staying for 2 nights, I didn't worry too much! I was able to sleep all night without discomfort. The furniture in the room was a little tatty, and the tv didn't work, but then we don't go on holiday to watch tv...! Our room over looked the road that runs along side the hotel, so no view, but we were there for 2 nights and only used the room to sleep in!

Breakfast was very good. Pancakes, omelettes, pastries, bread, cheese, yoghurts, freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee etc..

The pool area was very nice. You can hire towels at the pool side for 100dh deposit-this is returned when you return the towels-you can also exchange them throughout the day for clean, dry towels. Activities went on throughout the day, aqua-aerobics, volleyball etc. The pool is cold when you first venture in, like all outdoor pools but a great relief in the summer heat of Marrakech.

There is a snack bar by the pool side, however, another guest warned me that this was very expensive and the cafe just outside the hotel (out the main door, turn right, cross the road and walk a little to the right....basically adjacent to the hotel pool) was just a fraction of the price! My daughters and I went and all ate well for £6 in total...not each! £6 for 4 people to have pizza or panini and chips+drinks!!!! There is a strict no bringing food into this hotel policy! There is a large sticker on the front door, and a security guard that will stop you from bringing it in!

The hotel has a hairdressing salon, clothes shop and a tabacco shop (although we saw signs, we never saw this shop!)

We walked to Majorelle Jardins from the hotel (via the Acima supermarket on the main road) and it took us about an hour-we used the map that we'd been given at the airport and used hotels as landmarks to guide us. 40dh each entrance fee, and my 7 year old was free. Nice to walk round for an hour or so, and our suntans looked stunning in the photo's due to the vibrant colours around the gardens. The museum attached was closed for refurbishment, but we just wanted to go and see what all of the fuss was about. Grande taxi back to the hotel was 50dh-probably a bit over priced, but it's the amount I paid for all taxi's in Marrakech no matter where the destination was.

Taxi's are readily available outside of the hotel, day and night. The hotel is about a 10 minute taxi ride away from Djemaa square. 5 minutes from the train/supratours stations. Free wifi in the reception area and by the pool. Staff were all friendly. Would I return? Yes! It's a great base for exploring Marrakech-I have no doubt that we will be returning :-) Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
uk
Reviewed 10 August 2011

hotel has great pool and lovely grounds and rooms are nice. location is long way out with nothing local - just a small shop. food in restaurant in evening ok - nothing great. breakfast is poor. just cakes, some funny tasting cereal, weak tasting orange juice, cream cheese, and meat. omelette if you are lucky as chef turns up at approx 8.30am when breakfast starts at 6.30am. drinks are a rip off. £2 for a bottle of beer. 24cl- not even a half. there is draught but staff always say its not working. spirits are £5 and cokes are £2 a bottle. staff in restaurant are slow and miserable.bring your own alcahol from duty free and to eat if you leave the hotel - turn right at entrance and right again . 100mtrs on leftis small restaurant. pizzas £1, drinks 50p, salad 70p kebab and fries £2.50. - reccomended place. shame really as nice hotel but if you are not french then you are not catered for.. ! - more a 3 star hotel..

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Place to eat just outside the hotel turn right and right again. Bottle of water £2.00 in hotel so buy out side and bring in. Taxi if they offer to take you to the mountains it costs, the price of the Taxi and tip for the guide ( there was 3 of us he look for 450D we gave him 300D )+ all the stops on the way there and 100D for a 3 course lunch. This all adds up.
Found some of the staff nicer than other they where very nice if you tip. ( no one tip me to do my job) felt safe in hotel would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo