“Not 5 star...and devoured by moustiques”

Dar Ayniwen Villa Hotel
Ranked #12 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My usually accurate sixth sense in choosing hotels failed me with this one.
The hotel is too far away – 20 minutes – from the city center, so really not well located if you’re going to Marrakech for the first time. It’s a hotel that is better suited for people who have already seen and done everything in Marrakech and are just looking for a place to relax. The hotel is unfortunately and inaccurately presenting itself as a 5 star property, which is far from what it really is. Our room was shabby, with outdated flea market furniture, musty closets, an uncomfortable mattress and stained bedspread. During our stay there was a sewage odor in the bathroom that never went away. One morning the hot water took forever to arrive. There was a cockroach (the big variety) one evening when returning to our room. All this would be “acceptable” (it is Africa after all) but NOT at the prices that Dar Ayniwan is charging. With dinner (not exceptional), you are easily reaching 600 - 650 euros per night. There must be other hotels in Marrakech in this price range that are offering a real 5 star experience. What Dar Ayniwan calls a “spa” is so small it cannot be used by several people at the same time. Worst of all for me was being devoured by mosquitoes, it was just terrible, so if you do come here bring a good spray with you. The hotel really should try and address this problem; perhaps it’s not so bad during the winter months.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Dom L
darayniwen, Propriétaire at Dar Ayniwen Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear Mr Dom L,

Thank you for posting this comment a second time, as it was removed by Tripadvisor moderator once before.
I will not answer your comment as you have just copied ( is this legal? ) a comment that was written in 2006 titled "georgous settings, tired rooms, mosquitoes about"
For info, plumbing was redone in Dar Ayniwen two years ago, we have strong treatment for insects. Ous furniture are antiques...Matresses are new Etc...things I can prove.
Not a mosquito around this year because of the drought.
SO as it is not true feedback there is no point.
For your information, I do live on the property, so if you had all the problems you have mentionned I would have known, but so far we have happy guests, Thank God.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at Dar Ayniwen for 3 nights as part of a 7 night break to Morocco (see separate review on Domaine Malika).

The house and gardens are simply beautiful, and the pool is a delightful break from the heat of the day. Service is first class, and quietly done - if you want a drink from your sun lounger simply raise a little white post (found next to each longer) and a waiter will arrive forthwith.

We stayed in the Tiwaline 1 suite. This was very tastefully decorated with period Moroccan furniture and the bed was very comfortable. The air conditioning was a delight at bed time. The room also had a minibar.

We tried the Hamman one day which was fabulous.

After only 3 days we were a bit sad to leave, and would definitely come again - indeed we met 2 families whilst we were there that had done exactly that many times before.

A must visit if going to Marrakech.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2012 via mobile

I found this hotel on Trip Advisor after reading what felt like a million other reviews for places all around Marrakech. The positive reviews for Dar Ayniwen really are a testament to how lovely it is- Stephane and Aziz and the team simply cannot do enough for you, the hotel is beautiful, and the location has the perfect balance between being convenient for the city yet still being an oasis of calm.

We stayed in the Tiwaline 1 suite which far surpassed my expectations, and ate at the hotel four times during our 6 night stay- each time was lovely!

During our stay I visited the spa and had a hammam and massage with the on site beautician which was to be recommended.

I would not hesitate to reccomend Dar Ayniwan and look forward to returning there in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank QuirkyKat
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I was worried that the reviews of Dar Ayniwen were too good to be true but it lived up to expectations. We stayed recently for a week which gave us time to see everything in Marrakech and time to enjoy the beautiful villa, gardens and pool. Marrakech is very chaotic so it was bliss to be able to come home and relax in beautiful surroundings. From the moment we arrived it felt like a really special place. The service is excellent and all the staff are friendly and helpful. Aziz, the manager, is always happy to give advice on restaurants and sight-seeing. We had dinner at the hotel on three occasions. The food was really good and the atmosphere with the pool lit up was amazing.

I've never wriiten a review on Tripadvisor before but I enjoyed my stay here so much that I just had to share it. I pretty much planned the date of my trip around the availability of the hotel and I'm so glad I did. Dar Ayniwen is a reason to go to Marrakech.

Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Having booked this hotel around 9 months ago for our honeymoon and as a complete suprise for my wife all I can say is that we were overjoyed by the quaint guest house.
The hotel boasts such character and charm with perfection oozing in every corner.
We stayed in one of the private villas with a hot tub and it was so traditional in style, Perfectly clean and comfortable. We could not have asked for anymore on our 7 night stay here.
We ate at the hotel most lunch times and about 3 evenings all of which were not disappointing. The food served here beat what we experienced in all of the recommended restaurants we found on trip advisor.
The manager aziz was very helpful and arranged our every need to perfection. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and the waiters were extremely attentive.
Most of all we would like to thank the owner of the house, Stephan. You have done a grand job to make this such an exemplary five star hotel with a guest house personal touch. We enjoyed every moment of our honeymoon and we thank you for that.
Luke and Sophia

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My husband and I have travelled extensively and stayed at a number of 4 and 5 stars hotel, however, Dar Ayniwen is one of the best properties we have experienced to date. It is situated in the Palmerai area of Marrakech just outside the city, which is a pleasant change from the hectic atmosphere of the medina. It is easy to get the best of both worlds as the hotel provides a free shuttle service.

What makes Dar Ayniwen special is the 'country house' atmosphere of the main building due to the fact this was and remains a family home, coupled with the extensive and well maintained grounds, as well as the secluded independent suites set around the garden.

The service provided by Aziz, the manager, and his team exceeds expectation as they are all very helpful, well informed but not at all pushy. Additionally, we ate twice during our stay there and found the food to be authentic and excellent, accompanied by a well priced wine list.

All in all, Stephane has achieved the highest standards in terms of the property, the grounds that it is set in, the food and the service, as well as being a gracious host himself. We look forward to a return visit.

1  Thank jchowdhry
darayniwen, Owner at Dar Ayniwen Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear JChowdhry,

We were all very thrilled by your compliments. It is a great feeling for us to know that we have succeeded in offering a good vacation and a relaxing stay. As I have many time promised I will always look to improve service and comfort for our guests at Dar Ayniwen and look after its garden.
We are also very thankful for your comment and hope that we will have the opportunity to meet again.
Kind regards
S.A.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Just came back from staying here for three days for mine and my wife's minimoon ( a brief honeymoon if you can't do the real thing straitgh away!). It's an amazing place - it feels more like you are staying at a friends villa than a hotel. There no signs around and other visual pollution you get in a lot of hotels and for me that makes for a much more pleasant environment. You get welcomed by the owner who explains the history of the house. The gardens are truly something special - there are many different varieties of plants to enjoy and then on top of that there are aviaries, pathways, courtyards. It makes for a great setting for the hotel and is good fun because when you are bored of the pool you can go for a wander and get lost in the gardens. Our room was out of this world - huge, really interesting decor, a hot tub - you get the picture!

Last time I came to Marrakech I stayed in a Riad in the city. It was nice, but for me this place is infinitely better. You get a free shuttle service into the city anyway and none of the noise and hassle + gardens wander about in. We actually left the hotel once in our whole stay - chilling by the pool, eating and enjoying the house was just too relaxing.

We will be going back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
darayniwen, Owner at Dar Ayniwen Villa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2012

Dear Mike B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you have enjoyed your minimoon with us. And I am up to have one with my wife too, now. We haven't done the real thing either yet ;-)
I will ensure our Team also receives a copy of your comments as an appreciation of their hard work. I am glad that you had a great experience with all our facilities and enjoyed your suite.

We do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.