“Magical Moroccan Experience”

Jnane Mogador
Ranked #202 of 1,139 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Magical Moroccan Experience”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Jnane Mogador for three nights during our first trip to Medina and had a fantastic experience. We were initially a bit nervous as two American girls but found wonderful guidance and comfort from the hotel and staff. Our first day there we made a fast friend in a member of the hotel team, Hassan, who helped us see a nearby mountain town, ride a camel, gave advice on food and a guide for a walking tour around the city. We also found that the food in the hotel was amazing, including a delicious and hearty breakfast for only 4 euro. The location is also incredible - right off the main merchant square in Medina, leading right into the souks. Everything was clean and safe and I can't wait to make plans for another trip. I even left behind a necklace in my room that the hotel staff found for me and is sending to my home in NYC.

I highly recommend this hotel and hope everyone has as amazing a time as we did. Happy travels!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights 2 weeks ago and loved it. The riad is in a great location (a short walk from Djemaa el Fna) and is beautifully decorated. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The highlight for us was the hamman downstairs in the riad. Whilst we were staying there was an offer for a hamman, full body massage and three course evening meal at the riad for 290dh! It was a bargain and really enjoyable. If you are staying here in the summer it is really hot and there isn't any air conditioning so sleeping is difficult! We would definitely recommend this place though.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 June 2011

After reading the great reviews and negotiating a good deal (30 euro/night) I was pretty pumped up. When I arrived I was unimpressed. Very nice people up at the terrace restaurant, however the people working at the desk tried to make me pay 38 euro/night using shady math and the omnipotent large calculator. Also, beware of recommendations here--we were directed to a food stall in the Djema El Fna that didn't exist. Decent location, very quiet but no amenities whatsoever. But it is cheap, clean and perfect if you are on a budget.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Had a great week in Marrakech staying at Jnane Mogador. It is located a few minutes from Jemma El Fna. The staff were friendly and the rooms were clean. We had a taxi driver arranged by the hotel to take us out on trips and I would recommend him. We used the Hammam and it also was good value and great fun.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I was a bit apprehensive because we were arriving in Marrakech without any hotel booking and a fairly tight budget. Since it was almost low season, we figured it'd be better to simply just show up and compare prices/rooms first-hand. Fortunately, we stumbled across this place! From the exterior, it looks quite posh and out of our price range - we almost didn't even walk in! But it turned out that the low season rates were actually very reasonable for what you get, and we managed to snag the very last room available due to a last-minute cancellation. The riad is really very beautiful and well-kept. I was most impressed by the architecture and the roof-top terrace. The ensuite double room, while quite small/claustrophobic-inducing, was very clean and nicely furnished. There was also a small TV and fan (TV didn't work). Overall, it was a very pleasant, peaceful place to lay our heads after a long, hot and crazy day in Marrakech. The location is excellent too - only about a 3 min walk away from "the big square." A great deal (especially if traveling during low season), but you still might want to reserve a room since they seem to frequently be full.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2011

First off, let me say I did not stay at this riad and I didn't eat there. But I visited it. My taxi from the airport dropped me who knows where and told me my riad was an easy walk. Right. As I wandered in the narrow alleyways I tried not to panic. People approached me from all sides offering to help and/or sell me something and I knew I needed to keep walking. Finally in desperation I saw the sign for Jnane Mogador and I ran inside. The owner was wonderful. He welcomed me to Marrakech, tried to give me instructions and when he saw it wasn't sinking in, he had one of his staff escort me to my riad, carrying my luggage in a little cart. Such kindness made my day. I intend staying there on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank AuroraSky
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 7 February 2011

My family, including our five-year-old boy, spent four nights here in January, and it was great. It was easy to find when we arrived, because it is so close to Plaza Jemaa El Fna. The staff was friendly and welcoming, making us feel at home immediately. The building itself it very handsome and well-maintained. Everything is very, very clean. There is a pleasant little restaurant on top, which is definitely worth a visit.

The rooms were very reasonably priced, and the beds were comfortable. The rooms were not large, but our room was large enough for the three of us. We were able to receive wifi in our room, which was very convenient.

Next time I return to Marrakech (and I will) I shall stay here again.

www.riderbymyside.com