“Incredible Place!”

Ranked #23 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Incredible Place!”
Reviewed 16 December 2007

from an unassuming street in the Medina, we entered the magnificent Riad 72. We could not have imagined how stylish, beautiful and relaxing Riad 72 would be within. We were greeted with a brethtaking courtyard with lanterns and water features, a banana plant reaching to the stars and Moroccan arabesque features abound.

Our room was a delight - the bed on a mezzanine level with a luxurious ajoining bathroom with local soaps and other products.

Descending the bookcase - staircase was a lounge adorned with roses and magazines, Morrocan fruit and cushions.

Service was attentive and friendly. The breakfasts were plentiful, mint tea in the afternoon a glorious ritual and the restuarant food in the evening was homely and beautifully cooked. This was a place to cherish, to relax in, be inspired by and remember forever.

• Liked — Great surroundings
  • Disliked — nothing bad....
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stokeysaint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Ireland
Reviewed 7 November 2007

Riad72 is a wonderful place to stay. It is a perfect for couple's. Romantic, quite, clean and the food is wonderful.

There are only 4 rooms in the riad we stayed in the the 'Amal' room which has a wonderful bathroom with a huge bath.

At least once during your stay you should have the house chief cook you dinner.

The riad also has a lovely roof terrace with deck beds for catching the sun.

The only complaint would be there was a bit of a wait for the food.

• Liked — Bathroom
  • Disliked — Wait for food.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank higgyIreland
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 April 2007

This was a fantastic and elegant hotel. The food was excellent and the space outstanding. We had the suite just at the top of the entry stairs and it was outstanding -- lots of open space and as nice a hotel room as I have seen.

The service was excellent, the view from the room outstanding and the touches in every corner of the hotel elegant and modern.

It is pretty hard to find and the locals, of course, are no help, but once we got close, we were able to find it and get help with our bags (service was great). I say that the locals were no help "of course" because asking a local for directions to hotel is almost certain to get you the standard reply of "that hotel is closed/not any good/never heard of it...but my cousin/uncle/brother/father/son has a very fine hotel....follow me". The hotel is not closed and it is grand, so keep looking!

We stayed at Hotel Fez in Fez, which was also truly spectacular, so if you liked Hotel Fez...I think that you will like Riad 72.

• Liked — utter beauty
  • Disliked — hard to find
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gsbdiver
edinburgh
Reviewed 22 April 2007

My wife and I stayed here for 6 nights in the cavernous Karma suite , followed by 4 nights at Kasbah Tamadot then another 2 nights in 72 (suite again). I`m a fan of minimalist design and booked this riad because of it`s style and the fact it only had 4 rooms (more European/Japanese than Moroccan i hasten to add). The location is excellent for both through the awful Jeema-El-Fna square and the upmarket Gueliz area. A beautiful Riad with the most charming staff I`ve ever encountered we had a wonderful stay here. Mustapha who runs the Riad is knowledgeable, helpful and happy to sit down for a chat ( when the phone is not glued to his ear! It`s a busy place). Brahim (a qualified lawyer!) is the most charming person I`ve ever come across with a deilightfully ever present smile , nothing being too much trouble for him- I enjoyed chewing the fat with him at the end of the night. Fatouma`s cooking could potentially be a solution to world peace (I may send her recipes to the UN) and she catered for my wife`s dietary needs perfectly. In fact her tagines were better than those I had at La Foundouk and Le Comptoir. Assiz couldn`t have asked how I was any more often if he tried and the 2 young women who worked there floated effortlessly and efficiently around this oasis.

Our room was truly vast with a stunning 25 foot high carved wooden ceiling and cupola and lovely tadelact bathroom that would have made John Pawson proud (although the bath could have been a few feet longer). The curtain to the bathroom however is not suitable for the shy person though and certainly would not have fitted in with the main tenet of the Bauhaus ,especially in the aural sense. It must have been worse in the smaller rooms. In my eyes a pointless peace of design for design`s sake. Doors work better people. The terrace is one of the highest in the medina and holds great views once you`ve mastered the tricky steps up and not whacked your head on the little entrance to it. A few health and safety tips wouldn`t go amiss like handrails and a mind your head sign. Dont book if it`s a pool your after- it`s pretty much a big bath on the terrace. There is also a small hammam where you cn have your skin removed from your muscles!!

I loved the serenity of the courtyard, the little water feature and huge banana plant and we both made ourselves so much at home that we felt part of the furniture ( so much so that I`d raid the fridge at night when everyone had gone leaving a note as to how much beer I`d scoffed- I`m an honest soul).

The main drawback for us which would affect our return and I presume would be the same for every riad in the medina- the call to prayer at 4 am. It`s a part of Islamic culture and I`ve no right to complain but it drove me nuts. It was loud as hell and woke us up every day.

Although this riad is tucked in the backstreets of Dar El Bacha we were never troubled by anybody even at 3 am. In fact if and when you do become hopelessly lost in the world`s biggest rabbit warren people, especially kids, will offer to take you back for a tip- well worth it.

All in all a great place to stay with great staff. There are plenty of riads to choose from so check them all out and if we went back I`d certainly try others to compare such as Farnatchi or El Fenn but this one should be near the top of your list.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank modtastic
Sheffield
Reviewed 9 January 2007

We didn't stay at this Riad, but ate there on recommendation of our guide book and I just wanted to say how wonderful it was. This is a beautiful Riad and, although we couldn't see inside the rooms, the roof terrance and courtyard were really lovely. The staff were fantastic, the service attentive and the food delicious. I have attached some pictures to demonstrate how attractive this Riad is, excuse the darkness from the mood lighting! I hope you can still see that the decor was really stunning.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2006
4 Thank MissScarlet78
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 January 2007

I would HIGHLY recommend this Riad to anyone visiting Marrakech! My visit was last Nov-- I was provided transport form the airport, and arrived at the Riad only to be greeted by Brahim (who speaks excellent English), and a wonderful meal by Fatima (the master of the kitchen.) My room was extremely roomy and very comfortable. The decor is incredibly serene and "zen" like-- a welcome change after traversing the many alley ways of the medina. Brahim was able to arrange for a guide as well as assist w/other conveniences. The following morning I had a hearty breakfast on the terrace.

The Riad is not centrally located but, this could be a bit of an advantage if you like walking and observing street life. I made reservations by contacting the Riad directly and they were very responsive to my requests. Please note that this Riad has only 3 rooms and a suite; however, it is very spacious.

The Riad is very well maintained, extremely clean, and has a wonderful staff. It even has a small hamman (by appointment.)

I also had the opportunity to meet the owner, who has/manages another Riad in the medina (Riad 12).

An excellent bargin and a pleasant surprise!

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a description of the room if a photo is not available.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
5 Thank Carolyn W
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2006

We have just returned from the wonderful Riad 72, and our stay couldn't have been better. We booked the Amal Suite, and really recommend this as a place to stay. The staff at the Riad were incredibly attentive, and did everything they could to make our stay a success.

Like one of the other reviewers, I was not too keen on the souks and attitude I got from some of the native Morrocan men, and so it was a delight to return to the Riad for some peace and calm.

We had 3 excellent breakfasts (included) and only on Sunday was the breakfast a bit basic. We also had dinner in the Riad once, which was nice, but nothing special. We ate out one evening in the square and once at the Maison de Arabe. The dinner at the Maison de Arabe was very expensive, and whilst my food was nice, my partner suffered from horrendous food poisoning following this meal. We also thought that the restaurant was lacking in any atmosphere and seemed very "corporate" in style.

The roof terrace is a lovely place to have breakfast (depending on the weather) and also to spend some time if the weather is good. There is a small plunge pool there, but it's only about 4 feet x 3 feet, so it really is just a space for a dip.

There are guests of different nationalities staying there during our trip, and, given the Riad is so small (only 4 rooms), the whole place is very friendly.

I would definitely recommend the Riad to anyone looking for a relaxing stay, although my views on Marrakesh itself are not so positive.

• Liked — The helpful and attentive staff
  • Disliked — Nothing