“Oasis of calm amongst the souks”
Review of Riad 72

Riad 72
Ranked #26 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Oasis of calm amongst the souks”
Reviewed 8 November 2006

We have just returned from the wonderful Riad 72, and our stay couldn't have been better. We booked the Amal Suite, and really recommend this as a place to stay. The staff at the Riad were incredibly attentive, and did everything they could to make our stay a success.

Like one of the other reviewers, I was not too keen on the souks and attitude I got from some of the native Morrocan men, and so it was a delight to return to the Riad for some peace and calm.

We had 3 excellent breakfasts (included) and only on Sunday was the breakfast a bit basic. We also had dinner in the Riad once, which was nice, but nothing special. We ate out one evening in the square and once at the Maison de Arabe. The dinner at the Maison de Arabe was very expensive, and whilst my food was nice, my partner suffered from horrendous food poisoning following this meal. We also thought that the restaurant was lacking in any atmosphere and seemed very "corporate" in style.

The roof terrace is a lovely place to have breakfast (depending on the weather) and also to spend some time if the weather is good. There is a small plunge pool there, but it's only about 4 feet x 3 feet, so it really is just a space for a dip.

There are guests of different nationalities staying there during our trip, and, given the Riad is so small (only 4 rooms), the whole place is very friendly.

I would definitely recommend the Riad to anyone looking for a relaxing stay, although my views on Marrakesh itself are not so positive.

• Liked — The helpful and attentive staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Take breakfast on the roof terrace
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
7 Thank Ghostie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Chudleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2006

Following a horrid reception at Caravanserai my husband and I spent the second half of our honeymoon in Riad 72 Amal room. The difference was incredible.

The staff are so attentive and considerate it's impossible not to relax . The room was fantastic and really more of a suite with a huge tadelakt bath and shower, a small lounge area and a balcony outside overlooking the central courtyard and its banana plant.

Food was served wherever and whenever we wanted it with the staff providing great recomendations and constant smiles.

Staying alongside us was a timeout photographer creating a portfolio of Riad photography, he confirmed that it was in fact the best Riad he had seen in Marrakech,even staying in the cheapest available room!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — French Speaking
  • Tips/Secrets — Amal Room is fab
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
10 Thank Whiteways
Austin Texas
Reviewed 17 April 2006

I just returned from a week in Morocco at three different riads. Two were in Marrakech and one in Essaouira. My first glimpse of Marrakech came in the evening hours at Riad 72, and what a welcome glimpse it was. I came into the lobby so tired after four flights beginning in Austin, Texas and Brahim had me sit and relax next to the fountains while he brought me tea. I was hungry and luckily another couple was eating in that night so I was able to get the same meal as they. It was so delicious, a tangine and a bowl of the best soup I have ever eaten. My room was on the second floor and a little bit odd in arrangement. You enter into a small sitting area and have to climb a slightly rickety stairway to get up to the sleeping loft and bathroom. If mobility is an issue at all for you, dont stay here or in a riad period! Anyway, the staff, headed by Raja was very accomodating and every request was answered with a "no problem". I am ambivalent about Marrakech, or at least the Medina, it is fascinating but very tiring and I can not imagine staying there for an entire week. One piece of advice, whenever possible get small denominations of bills and coins.You have to tip everyone in this city, from bellboys to direction givers and street performers and children and I never had anything smaller than a 100 dirham ($11). Enjoy!

11 Thank JolieDiana
santa barbara
Reviewed 8 April 2006

We just returned from 4 nights at Riad 72, and the experience was incredible. The rooms were spectacular and the staff could not have been more helpful - each person went out of his or her way to make sure that our visit was pleasant. We had dinner at the Riad one night, and the meal was excellent, as were the breakfasts we enjoyed each morning. I can not recommend Riad 72 more highly!

9 Thank lauriesb
London
Reviewed 3 September 2005

Riad 72 is stunningly beautiful. The decor is a wonderful mix of traditional Moroccan and Italian chic. All of the rooms (there are only four) are lovely but if you can splash out and book the suite, it took our breath away. The staff are all wonderful - really friendly, attentive and helpful. The food is fantastic. Breakfast, which is included in the price, is a wide selection of freshly baked Moroccan breads, cakes and pancakes. Other meals are extra, but I would recommend having at least one dinner, the cook is fantastic (and a lovely lady) and her tangine was the best we had in Morocco. This is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the peace after the hustle and bustle of the city.

• Stayed November 2004