“Dated in almost every way”
Review of Hotel El Andalous

Hotel El Andalous
Ranked #359 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Dated in almost every way”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

After a long journey we were greeted by a rather cold display of customer service and sadly this didn't really improve anywhere else in the hotel during our stay.

It is very dated in decor - although clean for the most part - and certain areas should really have been highlighted for refurbishment by now. Specifically the rigid, steel sun loungers which look like they've been in use since the 40s and most of the furniture on the whole just looks shabby and outdated.

Our room was very simple but roomier than expected. No shower curtain in the bathroom which made for a nice wet room effect, and I did have blood on my duvet cover twice despite them "changing" this mid-stay. Thankfully duvets aren't really a necessity in the Marrakech summertime. The maids also have an interesting habit of removing the towels daily (despite us hanging them back up for re-use) and then not replenishing so every afternoon I would have to request new ones. The in-room safe is chargeable - so request this whilst checking in to save a further discussion.

Breakfast was sufficient to keep you going - absolutely nothing more though and again, very little in the way of positive ambience to set you up for the day!

The staff were able to facilitate simple requests, very occasionally even with a little smile, but in my experience of a City central, 150 room+ hotel the overall service was really under par - as described by most other reports prior to mine. A great shame as I know this will be the one and only stop in Morocco for many holiday-makers (as it actually could have been for us).

I wouldn't recommend as I believe there are far nicer habitats within a similarly close proximity and with a fresher approach to service, facilities and design.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Stayed at the El Andalous for one night at the start of a 17 day (self-lead) tour of parts of Morocco. Booked through Hotels4U who offered a free transfer-all went swimmingly, transfer at arrivals to greet us! We were the first drop off, as it's very close to the airport.

On arrival at the hotel, the receptionist was a little sharp-sent us off with the usual form and told us to come back in an hour and a half when our room should be ready! Great-30+ degrees and we're all in jeans and jumpers! Went back to reception after about 30 mins to change clothing to be told our room was ready afterall! Porter took our luggage to the room and all was dandy. 3 double beds in 2 rooms with a bathroom and small balcony. Clean although quite dark, but for the amount of time we were going to spend in the room, it really didn't matter. There was air-con, but I don't remember it being that great!

Like I said before, this was an overnight stop to start a mini tour, so my first port of call was to be the train station. When I asked the girl on reception for directions, she was insistant on selling me an excursion. She wouldn't accept that I already had a hotel booked in my next destination and wanted to charge five times the price of the bus/train! I was as insistant as she was, and she finally caved in and pointed left out of the front door. The hotel is about 10-15 minute walk from the train station and supratours.

On return to the hotel (from the station) we had purchased drinks from the local supermarket to be told that we were not allowed to drink them around the pool area. The hotel drinks were very expensive £1.75 (20dh) for a bottle of water! I had a very quick dip in the pool, but was also very quick to jump out, as it didn't look like the cleanest of pools!

Not many sunbeds around the pool, but there were many tables and chairs-mainly situated in the shade. Dinner was buffet style, served outside. Again wasn't overly impressed for a 4*. Due to exhaustion from the journey, we had an early night, but I gather from other guests that there was no evening entertainment, unless you wanted to pay through the nose in the club. Beds were very comfortable and I slept like a log, so outside noise couldn't have been much of a problem.

Breakfast was the usual pastries and pancakes, with freshly squezed orange juice and coffee-again, I have had better in Moroccan 3*'s.

Check out was at 12pm, but we were leaving before this time. Taxi's are waiting directly outside the hotel for onward travel, but agree a price before you get in the taxi. Would I return? Yes, as a base for exploring if the price was right, but it would not be my first choice in Marrakech.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
leicester
Reviewed 12 August 2011

the hotel is classed as a 4 star, i would like to meet the person that rated this hotel.
i rate this hotel as a 2 1/2 star. i cought a taxi from the airport its really not that far, may be 5 miles at the most.
Taxi shoulnt cost more than 120dhms which is about £10.00, but taxi drivers will try to get as much as possilbe off you, i got charged 200dhms but i know some poeple paid 250dhms!
location of the hotel is ok, bit far from any landmarks to walk, being really hot, about early 40oc, even waliking across the road was hard work!
rooms are basic for standard rooms, bed, tv, shower bath etc. air con. no firdge in room and you have to pay extra for room safe key, which is 25dhms per night.
staff ok but not child friendly. beds are clean and the rooms are kept clean.
this hotel has a towel problem, there where four of us in one room but only to towels, my kids are 1 and 5 years old. extra towels could take about 1-3 hours to arrive.
Breakfast is very basic, french bread, eggs, coffee, hot water and hot milk and sometimes a cook making pancakes. which actually was nice.
no baby high chairs, i asked for one and they looked at me as if i was mad!
They have no real understanding of a babies requirements. Baby cots are avilable but they should be condemned, not safe and stored under stairs next to a air conditioning unit. Jemaa el fna (main open market) is not too far from this hotel, should cost about 25/30dhms by taxi, and in the evenings the taxi fares are doubled!
i think if i ever went back i would stay at the La Mamounia, but not cheap and may be for a long weekend, rather than a week!
There is lots to see, but everything looks the same morrocan people are nice but can be easly upset.
pool was nice, sometimes the water was clear and sometimes had a green glow to it.
Drinks are expensive, about £2.00 for a bottle of water!
The hotel staff dont speak much english, so times they dont understand what you need.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mazter

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

berkshire uk
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I would like to start by saying i am not one to go out of my way to leave bad reviews or complain but in this case i feel it would be completely unjust and foolish not to tell people about what goes on within this hotel. My girlfriend and i stayed at this hotel as part of a four night break booked through Broadway travel. The trip was a holiday to celebrate her birthday and as we booked it in February it was eagerly anticipated. On arrival at the hotel our bags were taken which seemed normal as hotels usual take them to your room. This was not the case. We waited 25 minutes in the empty reception with me continuously asking for my bag but they refused to give it to me. After more frustrating time a man eventually came to take our bags to our rooms. Little did i know this would seem virtually irrelevant in hindsight. On day two we went into the city and to the mountains which were absolutely spectacular. On arrival back at our room a letter had been left on our bed from a company called Hotels Connect stating our bills had not been payed and we needed to pay an obscene amount of money. As i had payed Broadway travel in full 5 months previously i put this down to an error by the hotel and didn't worry. We went back downstairs to reception only to find out that when we payed Broadway travel they had given the money straight to another company which in the meantime between February and July had gone into administration and not payed the El Andalous for our stay. The hotel instantly started demanding that we not only pay again but we pay 3 times the amount that we had originally payed. I of coarse refused to pay this amount and gradually the hotel became more and more threatening. On day 3 we were captive within the hotel. The staff had called in extra security to stop us leaving the hotel and some guests had also been locked out of their rooms as well as having their baggage taken. At the time we went it was 47 degrees and the staff were refusing to give us water. The whole situation was strangely surreal and some guests were getting extremely upset (understandably as we were being held captive). Eventually after several attempts we were able to reach Broadway Travel through a relative at home and they reluctantly payed the bill with the hotel.
After this the holiday was ruined. It was such a stressful ordeal we just wanted to be at home. The fact that i had payed and trusted Broadway Travel back in February only to be told they had taken my money and given it to someone completely irrelevant was disgusting. This company should not be aloud to trade as this is obviously something they do with every holiday they book. Broadway travel notified us that the holiday company don't actually pay the hotel until 30 days after you leave. Ludicrous. In the current financial climate this is a problem that is more than likely to occur so i cannot stress how strongly i would avoid Broadway Travel. This is also something i would say for El Andalous hotel in Marrakesh. They new full well that we had payed our bills but we were treated like theaves. If something happened like this happened in this country trading standards would shut it down. I am fortunate enough to have traveled a lot but i have never ever seen anything come close to the things that went on those 3 days. Please don't let this put you off a holiday to Marrakesh but DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL OR USE BROADWAY TRAVEL. It is dangerous and you you are guaranteed a stressful experience. Thanks

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank onetimeadvisor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of August. I don't like to give negative reviews BUT this hotel was horrendous! I do not recommend this to anyone.
I accept that it was a low budget holiday but this was ridiculous. More like a 2* than a 4*.
The rooms were dirty, the staff very rude, food was stale and swimming pool was filthy. First holiday I've ever been to where I couldn't wait to get home.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JenniferHelen_11
Vallejo, California
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We spent seven nights at the El Andalous in Marrakech, Morocco in May 2010. The hotel was clean and well-furnished, had a pool and patio, and was in a residential and hotel district, within walking distance of the Place Jmaa el-Fna – if you don’t mind a pleasant, one-mile walk. However, not all was well in paradise. The service left a lot to be desired. After check-in, we went up to our room and found the key wouldn’t work. The elevator took forever and when I got down to the desk, the desk clerk checked the key and told me it was my fault. Back upstairs, the key still didn’t work. Downstairs I went again, only to be told I was a fool. Back upstairs to wait for a bellhop. And wait. The bellhop couldn’t open the door either. By now, an hour has passed. Another wait for a maintenance man to fix (replace) the lock.

That wasn’t the only example of “the customer is always wrong”. My wife ordered a pizza margherita for lunch on the patio. What was served was something different. When she politely suggested that she had ordered a pizza margherita, the waitress told her flatly “No you didn’t” and insisted on it. We make mistakes, but this time I heard my wife clearly. Another case of the customer is wrong.

There were other instances – for example, a missing coffee container in which I make my own coffee. However, to be fair, we found that the type of friendly service that we expect in the US was not common in Morocco. This was accentuated at El Andalous. The people in the cities or countryside were friendly, but many desk clerks and wait people did not seem to have a sense that they were there to please the guest. One notable exception was at La Mamounia, a famous Marrakech hotel that was the residence of Winston Churchill, when he spent vacations in Morocco. We ordered drinks and the waiter was friendly and attentive – superb.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TomLedig
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2011

lovely hotel, receptionist a bit grumpy but other staff, waiters and pool attendant all friendly. , Food and drinks expensive at hotel but a couple of great restaurants just 5 mins walk around the corner.

Room are large and clean, pool great and cleaned daily, loads of sunbeds but towels are out early, you can rent towels at the pool so you dont need to take them with you.

no hassle at the airport or at the hotel, loads of hassle in the main square, cannot cross the road without a local who then becomes your guide, who then expects paying when he gets you to the souks.

Room Tip: 314 overlooks the pool