“Slept badly - very noisy; disappointing food; location” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel El Andalous

Hotel El Andalous
Ranked #335 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Slept badly - very noisy; disappointing food; location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Good things first: the room was spacious and it and the bathroom were very clean. Some of the staff were very helpful.
BUT: the hotel was very noisy. On three of my seven nights, building work (very loud hammering) started at about 11pm; the reception staff were of variable help in getting it stopped. Secondly, although it was nice to have a room overlooking the pool (very pretty area) this also meant it faced the night club The bass note from the music meant I couldn't get to sleep.
The food was very disappointing. When one sees the spices for sale in the markets one would expect to find these used in the cooking. No such luck - food horribly bland.
Also, the hotel is not a 15-20 minute walk from the centre of Marrakech; it takes 35-40 minutes to walk to the Jemaa al Fna - too far to take a post-dinner stroll to it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

After reading some reviews i began having second thoughts after booking this hotel and even tried to get it changed but i couldn't as it was too late but thank God that didn't happen as i enjoyed my stay here, It was only for 4 nights but i hoped it was for longer. It's located at a pretty decent place as it's nowhere busy and only a 10-20 min walk to the square. To the people that said staff are not friendly here were wrong because they were. They always smiled and greeted my family, even they're English wasn't bad but still needs to improve. At breakfast even though it was a buffet the staff were actually bringing some of the food to us which was nice of them. Food was more or less the same each day but i was cool with that. The rooms were spacious but i did have slight troubles with the card system to open them. They were cleaned every day and i had a good view from the balcony. My only real problem was the wifi as we were on the top floor so signal didn't reach so had to sit at reception to use it when i needed it but even that started to work but it was too late as it was the evening before i left. Overall it was a decent hotel (not as bad as people have said in their reviews), it had good service and a good atmosphere to and it also had a nice relaxing area outside by the pool. I enjoyed my stay here and hope i will come back many times. Really recommend this hotel. The people who gave bad reviews must have been having a bad day.

Room Tip: Lower floors for better wifi signal, higher floors for better balcony view and less noise at night d...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I was booked for a week but only stayed for 1 night. My room 330 had a horrible smell, the air conditioning worked like a jack hammer compressor and the noise kept me awake all night. Breakfast was cold, cold coffee, food looked like yesterday's left over and there wasn't much to choose from. The table cloth was dirty and the waiters looked like zombies, looking busy but actually doing nothing. My room had flaking paint and needed refurbishing. No shampoo or soap or jel or anything and this is supposed to be a four star hotel. Wifi did not work except from lobby. An awful experience I couldn't take it for more than a few hours. No reimbursement was offered. Defenitly a NO GO HOTEL !

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Wenzu

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Gavle, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

By arriving, and I have stayed many times in this Hotel It has been favorite since 1986 When I w i was first time her. Specially I want to thank anis he helped me a lot one eveneng when I lost my Cellular Phone :) Overall a frindly hotel wit good service and very nice Andalusian atmosphere

I will come back many times me and my all friend

Dr. Olav Andersen
Sweden

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

PLEASE READ - My family stayed 4nights at this hotel, and I have to say it is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in Marakech (Having stayed at 3 other hotels previously). The staff are not welcoming, they hardly speak to you throughout your stay, not even a 'Good Morning' or a smile.

I loved the atmosphere of my previous hotel in Marakech which made me want to come back - they were very welcoming. But it was a shame that this hotel was broken down to refurbish.

The Location - is not 10mins walk from the famous market, it is more like 25mins, Mcdonalds, Pizza Hut are like 15mins drive from hotel.

WIFI - They claim to have Wifi, but it not does not work everywhere, and if you are lucky it will work for 5mins. We asked the reception about this, and they said that they cannot do anything about it as their Wifi is like this.

Rooms - We had booked 4 rooms, and when we went in, the rooms were smelly - and none of the toilets or bathrooms had any locks. They cleaned everyday, but did not change the bed sheets.

The only nice thing about the hotel is the pool, which is big and cleaned every morning. The Spa there was nice but not the best massage ever...also, we asked for a 1hr body massage and was given a 30mins massage, and they tried charging us for 1hr.

The Breakfast - was exactly the same everyday, no change in one item at all, boring and dull - porridge and buns, scrambled egg (plain), some fruits and thats about it.

Checking out - they just asked for room numbers and gave us a bill of 462Dh! Which was their Morroco tax?? Which they did not tell us beforehand - we were lucky to have this ammount of money, as usually at the end of a holiday, you just about have enought money for a taxi to the airport! They had no expression or 'We hope you enjoyed your stay'...just took the money and walked off.

I read reviews here and booked this hotel - but if you really want a good holiday, do not book this place - A hotel atmosphere makes your holiday more memorable!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Mabz55
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

The food. Oh dear, what is it about countries that have an abundance of spices and fruit, that the food they serve is not reflected in their menus.
When you first see the evening meals for the first time, your heart has a warm glow and your taste buds race in anticipation. And that is as good as it gets!

In England food served at that temperature would not be acceptable, and as for taste....nothing.
It is at this point one should mention that at all meal times the locals wear their coats in the dining room. Yes, it was December when I visited, but I don't expect to have to put on my coat when eating in the hotel.

There is a microwave located next to the buffet, my only regret is that I didn't find it sooner. It certainly made my breakfast more pleasurable when I did. I didn't find it soon enough for the evening meals.

Rooms overlooking the pool are good, the higher the better. Yes there is noise from the bar downstairs, but you manage to 'tune it out' after a while.

The hotel dining room staff, how so many can do so little, yet look so busy. When you have the chance, and there will be plenty of opportunity, observe and you will see for yourself. You will have to ask for everything all the time, spoons etc , nothing is replaced.

When I first entered this hotel I had such high hopes for it, (I had been to the city before in another hotel). But after a day or so............

Room Tip: Find the microwave asap, you will need it. Also when you have to be very persistant if there is some...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank P009
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We spent two weeks in Morocco. Five days at this hotel, then hired a car and drove to the Draa valley for a few days before returning for the remainder of our holiday. We found everything we needed was available in the hotel and the staff courteous and friendly. The meals were buffet style with a good variety of choices and changes of menu. Our room had two very comfortable double beds which appeared to be the standard furnishing in every room, as well as the usual chairs, table, dressing table and wardrobe. The bathroom was equipped with both bath and shower, whb and bidet, the WC was separate. Overall a pleasant stay and we'd be happy to return.

Room Tip: Lift doors are sometimes noisy, a room away from the lift will be quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple