“Fascinating”

Ranked #28 of 163 things to do in Marrakech
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This is a bazaar which mostly offers spices and other specialty goods.
York, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

You need to visit at different times of the day to get the full experience. At sunset watch the food sellers arrive and set up their mobile cafe's in the center, the smells of the charcoal burners and various food cooking is intoxicating, and the atmosphere is unique.

1 Thank SJS240

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Watch out for the snake charmers...”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

You are warned before entering the square to watch out for these people, and that if you want to take pictures, make sure you ask first and pay them a small amount (10 Lira) before taking a picture. I got my phone out to try take a sneaky photo, when before i knew it a guy comes over to me and has a snake around my neck, forces me to grab its head so that it wont bite me, has my phone and has dragged me over to 1m away from the cobras! he is then over the other-side taking photos of me, comes back, shows proof of the photos, then proceeds to start kissing my head with the snake and demanding 300 liras, The reason i was standing a large distance away from the snakes in the first place was because i was freaked out. In the heat of the moment i managed to get them (two harassing men at this stage) down to 100 lira. Way too much, but felt like a small victory at this stage. I was shaking nervously for a good 30 min after this... Moral of the story, ask for a photo, pay or stay well away. great yarn afterwards though...

5 Thank Jason K
New Delhi
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Took a Walk, Lot of good things to buy”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I like the place, very interesting. I can not buy as I am a careless traveler so I can't take care of things you get there. It is close to old Madina area

2 Thank harapila
Cambridge, United Kingdom
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“I'm not really sure why this is rated.”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

If you just decide that you are going to wander around the medina, you will at some point in time and place in the maze end up going through here. I think my boyfriend and I while trying to find the 'spice market' final realized that we were in it. It doesn't really look or feel all that different from the other areas with shops. Although there may be some spice shops, it definitely isn't a spice market. I wouldn't set it on my list of 'must visits', but I would trust that you'll end up going through here, whether or not you realize it is another question.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank calitocam
Newark, Delaware, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not Exactly What The Guidebooks Make Of It”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Most guidebooks claim that this small square set well inside the Medina caters to sellers of supplies and artifacts devoted to "B;ack Magic". Moroccans are a superstitious people and believe in magic. The shops and stalls here are supposed to have exotic potions, powders, dried animal parts and all kinds of paraphernalia pertaining to the black arts. The reality is different...A handful of Berber pharmacies and apothecaries and alot of other merchants selling everything from rugs, to crocheted beanies.

Visited April 2014