“Disconnect from Marrakech”
Review of Kasbah Le Mirage

Kasbah Le Mirage
Ranked #171 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The place is nice, clean and quiet. We go there to relax far from the noise of the Medina. The kitchen is not surprising, in any case it has not awakened my taste ! There is a spa that I find in average. Fortunately there is a pool and that the place have beautiful rooms ..... However I was there like at home, many thanks to all the Moroccan staff !

Room Tip: the first floor is more quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BelkacemJ

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Was great until today accused of eating external food on the premises, security had seen this apparently, didn't realise all movements were scrutinised. Explained the food was bought here, verified on bill, but no apology! Came back yesterday with bags from a supermarket with food gifts for home, I suspect that was the real issue. Sell gifts at the hotel then if its a problem, oops that's the idea, its remote and away from commercialism. Such a pity as til now was going great. Sure when I'm back I will look back in this as a non event and write a more positive review, til then...

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank gdecdpw
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I went with my wife for a week and it was perfect, the roof terraces, water features, and tiles created an incredible atmosphere that was beautiful but very unique so many wonderful nooks and crannies to explore. At times it felt more like staying in someones home than a hotel (in a good way). The staff are incredibly attentive and nothing is too much for them.

The food is simple but very hearty and there is a very well stocked bar for a muslim country, the hotel is next to an oasis and local village which is very basic. The grounds are very well kept and the entire building very clean at all times.

Heading into town took 20 minutes for about 10 euros and it was far better than staying in cramped dusty Marrakech. Camel trekking, quad biking, rock climbing, and other activities were run from the hotel and people travelled from all over to do them at the hotel. The numerous roof terraces were the highlight, the highest one had a hot tub and stunning 360 views of the surrounding desert, oasis and atlas mountains. There were about 5 in total all in different orientations to the sun and catching lovely breezes. They were perfect at sunset lounging on the sofas with a shisha.

If you want the corporate-identikit-hilton feel this probably isnt for you, if you like something a little more cultured and unique this is a real find for you.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dan B
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We just got back from our two week holiday at the Kasbah le Mirage hotel in Marrakesh.
We had a very relaxing holiday and the hotel is nice, but here are a few points of interest;
- the kitchen is not very good, i would even say bad. We had half board (halfpension, so breakfast and dinner). For dinner you get to eat tagine 6 out of 7 days, this does not have to be a problem if it were a good tagine. The food we got served was hardy spiced at all, every tagine tasted exactly the same (courgette, carrot and then fish or meat in it, sometimes with couscous, most of the time without). That is really a shame because we know how nice the Marrocan cuisine can be (we have been to Marocco before). If you like to eat form the menu (a la carte) there is a range of dishes (that are not Maroccon) to choose from. Like salads (washed with tab water so i was sick for two days), omelettes, pasta's, fish and chips and grilled meat with chips. After 15 days we had tased everything on the menu at least once. There is not much choice and dinner and lunch menu's are very similar.

- the prices for lunch and drinks are fine, but sometimes the prices are a bit strange as you can eat a pizza for 45 dirham, (~4,50 euro) and you pay 7 euro's for a coctail of 3,5 euro for a bottle of beer. the wines are very reasonabel priced ; cheapest bottle for 9,5 euro's up to 22 euro's with the highes beeing 38)

- If you are in this hotel for only a few days you can have a good time, the pool is very nice and big and the rooms are good and clean. But if you stay here for a week or longer , maybe this is not the best place to go to.

-The hotel is situated 30 minutes drive away from the medina/Marrakesh centre. Every taxi ride you take is a hassle for money, but you pay at least 100 dirham (9 euro's) for one way.

- Walking outside of the hotel; there is a very poor village, with houses that are not finshed and apart form that there is nothing. no road, no shop, no nothing. just so you know.

- Marrakesh is not the place to go to if you want to see a lot of cultural stuff. in fact you can see everything there is in one day. then another day for wondering around in the souks and the new city (Gueliz) for shopping (in european style, and prizes!) and then you have seen Marrakesh. (personally we liked Istanbull much better, but that city is much bigger and there is much more to see).

- we did a cooking workshop with www.soukcuisine.com with Gemma (a dutch lady who lives in Marrakesh for 7 years) that was wonderfull, the best day of our trip!!! loved it!

- we also went to the Atlas mountains and visited some berber villages and drank mint thee there, it was a nice experience to see the surroundings.

All in all we had a nice holiday because we we needed a break and we wanted to relax!

- If you like sunbathing near a (cold) pool and read lots of books.... this is the place to be! do not go there after june, because then the weather gets to hot. (the last few days of our trip it was 39 degrees celcius). we went there from 22 may- june 5th.

The hotel itself has a lot of potential, but they needs a better kitchen!!
p.s the hotel is definitly not worth 4 stars!!! (i would rate 3)

Room Tip: do not go to room 107; (sesame) the bathroom does not have a door , and not shower curtain. and the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rosevanderrijt
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Anytime I think about this place, I have to wipe away a tear because I miss it so much. I'd hop on a plane and come back here in a heartbeat if I could.

As other reviewers have said, it's wonderfully serene and remote -- a sharp contrast with Marrakech itself, which I was surprised to find not so different from New York City where I live, even in the off-season; noisy, quite crowded, tons of traffic. So, it was a relief to be in a hotel outside of the city and away from all of that. It does come with its drawbacks; the twice-daily free hotel shuttle (which, when I was there, ran at 10a to/1p from and 3:30p to/7:30p from the city) might be a bit limiting if you were planning a very active vacation. Then again, you can always call a taxi to take you into the city if you need an earlier start, and the hotel staff are more than happy to arrange that for you if you don't speak any French, even before they come on duty themselves if necessary. (Thanks, Yassine!)

Once I got used to the shuttle system, I found that it was actually a good thing because most of the sights and attractions in Marrakech are quite small, so if you're here for more than a couple of days (I was there for 10 nights), it's a good idea to only go into the city for half-days to do 1 or 2 attractions each day. And then spend the rest of the days lounging on the rooftop terrace, enjoying the quiet and the wonderful weather!

The hotel does seem to cater mostly to couples (and rightfully so; it's such a romantic place), so as a solo traveler I felt a bit awkward at first, but the staff did everything to make me feel at home; they were very friendly and unintrusive. I only wish more of them spoke English so I'd been able to chat with them, since they all seemed like such good, fun, interesting people. :)

I booked the room with the half-board option, which consists of a set menu of either 3 or 4 courses of Moroccan cuisine every night. The food was definitely delicious, though I'm not a big eater so I'm not sure if I personally got good value out of it... but that's my own fault. ;) It was perhaps a tad lacking in variety, or at least it became evident that they're not used to guests staying longer than a week, as after the first week, there were several repeats. It's also worth mentioning that the set menu is the only way to eat Moroccan cuisine at the hotel restaurant, as the a la carte menu is almost entirely French, but you can still order the set menu even if you're not a half-board guest. I'm not sure how much that costs, though, but I did find that the a la carte menu items were very reasonably priced (nothing more expensive than 120 Dh, if I recall). Alcohol was also reasonably priced; you could get a bottle of wine for ~$10.

In short, I am completely in love with this hotel and am already counting my pennies trying to figure out when I can afford to come back again!

A couple of tips:

* I found that the rooms were a bit chilly; there didn't seem to be central heating. I normally always travel with my own fleece blanket, but I hadn't expected to need it... I regretted not bringing it! So, I'd advise you bring a blanket if you're going in the winter.

* If you didn't book a travel package that included a transfer to the hotel and you're coming from the airport or the train station, I'd highly recommend contacting the hotel to arrange one beforehand (thankfully they are very responsive to e-mail so you can take care of it that way if you'd prefer not to make a long-distance call), since most cab drivers don't know where it is and the road isn't exactly straightforward. (And 300 Dh is definitely a rip-off...)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Nara K
Reviewed 9 January 2012

What a wonderful place! Set in the middle of a small village outside of Marrakech. And what an adventure getting there. The cab driver was not entirely sure where he was going but he got me there safe and sound. 300DH well worth it as it is some distance from the airport. The hotel is very deceptive from the outside but wonderful decor inside. The pool was great, never tried the spa so no comment there. The staff was a delight and non intrusive. The food stunning! Such wonderful lamb dishes! Breakfast is a buffet of meats and pastries, excellent coffee! The rooftop terrace offered wonderful views of the Atlas mountains and surrounding countryside. With only 26 rooms you are guaranteed a private quiet time away from the noise of the city. They provide a shuttle into the city for a nominal fee. Will be going back for sure!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We were 10 adults going for a quad tour and ended up in this hotel for lunch and spa. The place looked very nice and we could even use the nice swimming pool. After the pool we went for a good lunch. The food was good and so was the service. After lunch, 4 people went to the spa and that's where everything went bad. The ladies were not professional at all. They have no real massage technique, they are rough, don't care about asking if the pressure is right and, worst of all, as the place is not closed, they talk and talk and talk between them all the time !!! What a very bad and expensive experience !

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business