All reviews rooftop bar la table swimming pool is superior room small balcony the main square moroccan style jemaa el medina mina hairdresser koutoubia jad morocco hammam french
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This is an average hotel at a good price in the most upscale district of Marrakech.
Luxurious feel in the lobby complemented by tea at check in.
My room, while perfectly fine had a problem with the door handle so they gave me a different room but this took some time. Replacement room was lovely, overlooking the pool (only 1 room on each floor overlooks the pool area; the others overlook the street). Bed was super comfortable and pillows were fantastic. Sheets, while clean and crisp, looked a little worn. Room was serviced daily - no complaints there. Bathroom was fine; a little worn out and the shower head didn't attach to the wall.
Pool area is nice and kept tidy throughout the day offering snacks and drinks (including alcohol - hurrah!). Prices are high but are on par with a European resort hotel.
My main gripe with this hotel is with their Wi-Fi; this was a working holiday for me between work trips and as such I needed a reliable connection for Skype, emails etc. I had contacted the hotel in advance and they assured me I'd be fine. For the first two days the signal was OK but went down a few times sometimes for no longer than an hour. No big deal. On the third day it just gave up entirely around 4pm and it wasn't back online until well after 5.30pm the next day. OK so everyone has tech difficulties. However, it was the manner in which the staff handled this which I had a problem with. They more or less told me that it was my equipment (I have a PC laptop and an iPhone) that was at fault, pulling out laptops in the lobby showing me a Google start page as if I was psychotic and fabricating the entire incident! Anyone at Reception I spoke to about it more or less ignored me until I got quite irritated and demanded further action or a refund so i could go stay in a different hotel. Eventually a "tech" guy came to my room and fiddled about with my computer (basically doing nothing) while a Junior Manager (the same one who continually thought I was making this up and more or less said so) looked on. They went away scratching their heads. Eventually, through no expertise of the techie, or myself for that matter, the connection started to work again. No idea why. However it was the way in which the entire matter was handled made me believe that if I had experienced other difficulties then the same sort of customer service would have been absolutely unacceptable. iPhone's data services don't work on the local phone networks so Wi-Fi is essential if you need to stay in contact.
Spa was nice with complimentary Hamman and Sauna. Massages were very expensive however.
Bottom line; have low expectations and be wowed. Leave your technology at home. Sofitel across the street is an amazing hotel with genuine WOW factor and is not that much more expensive. I'd pay the extra and stay there if you can afford the difference.

Room Tip: Try get a room overlooking the pool. Only one on each floor so be quick. I stayed in Room 210.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Four words..You will love it..where to start..rooms were awesome. the room was very clean even by european standards and the staff had beautifully decorated it for our welcome. I won't reveal the surprise but trust me you will be really wowed by a certain aspect of the welcome decoration. The location is very good. 10-15 min from airport, train station and the Medina. Also a casino and 1-2 clubs nearby where there is live music. The Hotel has multiple resturants and lounges. If you just want to be lazy you need not go anywhere. Their resturant, snacks bar, desert bar and the lounge is truly exceptional. The breakfast was excellent. They also have free access to steam bath,spa,fitness etc. Overall I was very pleasedd in my 2.5 days. Unfortunately all good things come to an end..but we will definitely return to this hotel when we will be in Marrakech again

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rony_rony
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The Hotel Hivernage has the most helpful staff I have ever experienced. the front desk helped me contact local tourist services, change my flights and secure reservations. The breakfast buffet was very good and the pool service and food were quite pleasing. My room was large, well furnished with a balcony overlooking the Medina.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Went for a short break in August towards the end of Ramadan, and had a great time. The staff spoke a variety of languages and were happy to assist with arranging daytrips etc. The hotel complex is situated in a convenient central location, has a great pool and spa, and serves great food. For a short break in Morocco I would definitely head back there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel with a friend for 4 nights.

The hotel is located in a nice neighbourhood few minutes away from the hustle and bustle of the main square. Hotel décor was quite nice and the pool was lovely.

We however had a number of problems with the hotel:
The first room we got given was right next to the lift and was very noisy, lots of noise from people walking in/out and banging from floors below

We complained and got moved to a different room. Couple of problems with this room- firstly the carpets were extremely dirty, there was no wi-fi, the sheets had stains and holes and the rooms were not cleaned everyday. When they were cleaned, it was very rushed and a half job- carpets would not be hovered and sheets would not be changed. There was building work just outside the window and so we were woken up by loud banging from about 7am in the morning.

We complained about 4 times about the wi-fi before the problem was addressed, we did not get offered more help regarding the wi-fi so ended up sitting in the lobby till early hours of the morning to use the internet

Language barriers were quite a problem- some of the staff were very helpful with little English, whilst some especially the catering staff could not communicate even one word in English.
Breakfast was ok, not the best and got monotonous after a few days.

The best Part was the Spa! The staff and treatments were amazing. I would probably stay in a different hotel next time and visit the spa at Hivernage hotel.

The hotel did not have much information on tourism..any information available was in french

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends