“luxurious and exotic and oh so heavenly”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Fenn

El Fenn
Ranked #53 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“luxurious and exotic and oh so heavenly”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This Riad is absolutely beautiful and I would defy anyone to find a problem here. It was absolutely breathtakingly stunning. When we arrived we were brought through this big door into a courtyard with orange trees and two wee tortoises. I only knew we were actually outside because I could hear the birds singing - we were brought a drink before we were shown to our rooms. The rooms are immaculate and so Moroccan - they really are the stuff that dreams are made of. The toiletries are exquisite. You walk around this Riad and you feel like nobody else is there but I am sure we were being watched (in a good way) as if we left our room and came back - it would have been turned down - or our dirty dishes would disappear as if my magic - there really is something magical about this place. When we arrived late at night we sat on the rooftop and listened to the call to prayer - you would never really have to leave the riad as you can watch and listen and smell everything from here. If you do tear yourself away to visit the souks - then be sure to pick up one of the beautiful baskets left by the door to carry your shopping in. All I can say is don't think twice about going to Riad El Fenn - it may be more costly at times than some of the other Riads but the experience will stay with you forever. Just think of it as your own private home as it feels like it - Enjoy - just don't tell me you're going - I would turn green with envy - even just for one more amazing El Fenn Breakfast!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MurrayFamily1234

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I went to Marrakesh for a long weekend with friends and we really debated where to stay. Riad el fenn was a great choice - right on the edge of the medina so easy to get out for dinner and if you have had enough of the medina. We used the hotel's driver to take us to dinner each night and that made us feel very safe. He was great! The hotel was very relaxing, rooms are all different and large with enormous bathrooms (but little privacy!). The rooftop pool is excellent for sunset drinks and breakfast or a dip. The birds do wake you up chirping very early in the courtyard! We didnt have dinner at the hotel but breakfast was very good. All the staff were very accommodating. And try the Moroccan rose wines - all very good! I would recommend riad el fenn to anyone going to Marrakesh who likes a really nice small hotel but doesn't want to completely break the bank. But go to La Mamounia for drinks or dinner!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Santa Monica
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Amazing riad close to Jemma El Fna and pretty much everything else is either in walking distance or a short cab ride away! Beautiful rooms (We stayed in both 18 and 20) which are individually decorated and are each special in a unique way. Tea is brought to your room every morning and breakfast is included with your room rate and is delicious! Riad el Fenn exceeded my expectations in every way and the staff went out of their way to make sure my family and friend were comfortable! My only complaint is the concierge appeared to be less than attentive than many of the other hotels I have stayed at, and appeared very distracted at times. Despite this 1 minor complaint, I would recommend this riad to all of my friends and family and will definitely stay there again when I return to Marrakech!!

Room Tip: Look at pictures of the rooms on the riads website
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
London, UK
Reviewed 1 May 2011

After a dreadful experience at a hotel outside town we arrived with some reservations only to have the best service, welcome, rooms, food you could ask for. The Riad is a delight with all the staff bending over backwards to make our visit pleasant.

Complementary afternoon tea and cakes a lovely highlight and so close to the Souk you feel you are part of the city.

The in-house food is fabulous (european) esp if you've had your fill of tagine and cous cous!

Room Tip: Do have an evening meal at the hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Wrexham
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We filmed this Riad for a series called "Hotels of the World" (or it's real title: "Gwestau'r Byd") for Channel 4 in Wales, UK. We filmed more than thirty locations and for me, Riad El Fenn tops the list for its cool decor and chilled atmosphere in the heart of a bustling medina. Very fond memories of breakfast in the morning air on the roof and the discreet but attentive service by all who worked there.

Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I agree with the reviewer earlier, who said that room 12 in Riad El Fenn is massively over-priced for what you get. We paid 260 euros to stay in a tiny room. Although the layout is interesting, the fact that the toilet is opposite the door into the room is a bit bizarre! For some reason you also don't get an i-pod dock in this room, which is a shame as the pool pump is just outside on the balcony and makes a loud hum 24 hours a day. The communal areas are nice and we loved the roof terrace, but if you're staying there I would recommend that you request not to be in room 12. Also check your bill at the end - we had around 300 euros extra put on ours, it was completely by accident but it took a long time to sort it out.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I've just returned from another perfect stay at Riad El Fenn - and I just wanted to say how fabulous it was, even better than before. The new management has really stepped it up a gear while keeping the relaxed charm. I also like the little shop in the main reception which saved me for a last minute gift. Over a year ago I stayed in Room 16 - all sumptuous red leather walls and plush bed. This time I stayed in room 21 which was beautiful and enormous and looked over both courtyards. My flat in Sydney is the size of this room and I could have fit about 20 people in the shower room alone! It's so much fun to stay in different rooms - each one has it's own character and gives me reason to return again and again. Alessandra took us on a tour of the other unoccupied rooms and they each offer something special. The size varies considerably so it's important check which room you have booked and make sure it suits your needs. We went for a cocktail at La Mamounia - and although it was pure marbled luxury - it lacked the character, warmth and authenticity of El Fenn. We could have been in any 5* luxury hotel in the middle east or north africa. We were also really lucky with the weather - hot in the sun and brisk in the shade, perfect for walking around. Breakfast and lunches on the roof terrace were particular delights. The breakfasts really set us up for a day of walking the city - their cinnamon porridge remains my all time favourite and my friend swore by the scrambled eggs each morning. It was also fun to see a group of photography students staying there - I didn't realise that they had courses on offer. Marrakech was quite quiet this time in comparison - several locals explained that tourists are staying away because of events in Egypt. I hope that this in not the case. It is on the other side of the continent and Morocco is a happy place where the royal family is loved and respected by its people. It's a very stable and warm country - every time I go, I feel welcomed and safe. Even better, at El Fenn, I feel like a movie star.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends