“Good location and value for $$” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Equity Point Marrakech Hostel

Equity Point Marrakech Hostel
“Good location and value for $$”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights and found the riad very comfortable and clean. The location is very good ( shopping, nice places to eat) and once you have figured out how to get to the main square it's easy to find your way around. We didn't find the riad very social, most people stayed in their rooms however the staff were pleasant and the riad it's self is very pretty. Nice terrace very high up with a great view over the city. Breakfast is average.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

This huge riad was great value for money and really well located for souks and the square. We took a private room that was clean and adequately furnished - if a little dimly lit. The bathroom was good and the shower hot. Only comment would be that the rooms are cold (in December) and that the noise from the fountain by the pool (freezing) can be annoying. Breakfast was standard Moroccan fare with occasional extras. On first visit it is well worth organising an airport pickup as it is down some dark alleyways - you get your bearings soon enough though. The size provides some tranquility from the chaos outside. I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms around the pool are a bit noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Belo Horizonte, MG
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Straight to the point: avoid this property under all circumstances!
Here I had the worst experience ever with a hostel in over 10 years of traveling around the world.
I will try to summarize our traveller's nightmare at Equity Point:

3 months before getting to Marrakech I decided to book 6 double rooms at this hostel for the relatively large group I was leading. The reviews were good, the pictures also, and overall I had a very positive impression of the property through TripAdvisor.
Taking the size of our group into consideration, I tried contacted the hostel several times before our arrival, both via e-mail and telephone, without success. After reaching out to their head office in Madrid (Equity Point is a chain of Hostels) I was finally able to get some feedback on my enquiries.

First "red flag": it is just ridiculous that you can't reach ANYONE at the Hostel and the only way to get some response is through their head office.

That being said, our requests were (virtually) fulfilled and I've been told the branch in Marrakech would be informed accordingly. One of these requests was a change to our arrival date, and I have confirmed THREE TIMES through their head office in Madrid that everything was set for our check-in. Again, no direct feedback or confirmation from somebody at the property in Marrakech was provided whatsoever.

On December 17, after almost 20 hours between flights and airports, our group arrived in Marrakech around 6pm and our guide took us to the hostel (otherwise it would be simply impossible to find it, THERE IS NOT A SINGLE SIGN indicating the way to the property, and the Marrakech Medina is a real-life maze). I must add that the city was PACKED on this day due to the FIFA Club World Cup, which was exactly the reason why I confirmed and re-confirmed several times that everything was OK with our booking.

Once we got to the reception desk, the scenario couldn't be worse: ONE SINGLE receptionist surrounded by 30+ guests, some of them trying to check in, most of them complaining about something...well, it was a complete chaos. After I managed to make my way to the desk, the guy tells me that OUR BOOKING HAD BEEN CANCELLED SINCE WE DID NOT ARRIVE ON THE CORRECT DATE, but he would do his best to accommodate everybody at least for one night, although the hostel was already fully booked. I thought it was a joke.
As I mentioned before, I had confirmation from 2 different people, on 3 different opportunities, that all changes to our reservations were processed and the property in Marrakech had been informed accordingly. It was clear that they totally lost track of what was going on the hostel at that time.
After more than 1 hour trying to solve the problem, the guy at the reception was able to show us some rooms. Instead of the 6 double rooms we had booked, they offered us a dorm with 6 beds, a room with 4 beds, and a smelly, dirty double room without windows and, believe you or not, WITHOUT A KEY TO LOCK IT.

We obviously agreed to look immediately for another hotel, I didn't want to spend any more time at that place, but the WiFi connection at Equity Point was compatible to their level of professionalism: it didn't work at all. We had to go to a nearby restaurant to look and book another hotel, which was a challenge considering the high demand for that date, and we only managed to get something for the next day. Which means that after running out of options we had to spend one night at Equity Point Marrakech. It goes without saying that it was probably the worst night I had this year. Leaving that place first thing in the morning was such a relief...

After almost 2 weeks I still get angry when I think about this episode, but to finalize I can tell this: the building itself is huge, very beautiful, it has a nice rooftop bar/restaurant, and if it was managed by people that know how to run a hostel/hotel, it probably could be one of the best options for budget accommodation in Marrakech, if not the best one.

Although, as long as it is managed by the same group of people, do yourself a big favor and don't bother booking a room or a bed here!!! I have never seen a property so poorly managed as this one.

P.S.: I know 7 other people who were planning to stay at this place, had similar problems, and can corroborate everything I said above. IT WAS NOT AN ISOLATED SITUATION.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank J_Guilherme_R_S
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Honestly loved it. We were meant to go to another hostel in Marrakech later in the trip, but we loved it so much here we cancelled and came back. The pool in a necessity and its not too difficult to find once you know where it is.

Great bar at the top with really cool with great views over the city and really helpful, friendly staff.

Room Tip: Don't get dropped off in the Medina, its difficult to find the first time.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I loved my stay in Marrakech and equity point was perfect, quite traditional and very charming. The riad style accommodation felt very authentic. Be careful when booking excursions or day trips - you are likely to be charged a premium and you can barter anything in morocco so give it a go to get a better price.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Astoria oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Follow the small winding road through all the vendors turn go down watch chalk signs on wall
And behind huge door to once was two rhiads is the hostel. An excellent value and retreat.
Sometimes in the night there
might be some that liked to party staff did not like to say anything so I did.
That usually worked.
Cafe upstairs. Wine and beer is available here not everywhere.
Against their religion.
Food quite good
Nice pool. Morning sun upstairs on
Roof. Hear the call to prayer
They run madly with their piece of carpet transistor radio in hand
Good deals to be found for sure
Be prepared to be followed everywhere by kids wanting coins. Adults too, just say no if that bugs you, it did me.
Sent suitcases home from here
Economical and it all beat me home!
Take the train to Casablanca Fez Barbary coast or ride camels camping in Sahara a real desert ecperience

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Journeyman644
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I stayed at Equity Point Marrakech for 2 days this May. Me and my husband chose a private room with ensuite facilities.
The hostel is located inside the Medina and has an amazing structure with very comfy beds and awesome price.
If you are looking for a good place to stay at the Medina, this is your place!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple