“Great friendly hotel”

Ranked #132 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Great friendly hotel”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This is my first time in Morocco, and Google's location of the hotel was slightly off. The manager/owner greeted us, and was very helpful. In fact, he then led us to the 7th floor - the roof top patio, where there are tables, sun loungers. toilets and a bar.

The room was a good size twin - bed was very comfortable. TV can only receive BBC world / Italian and Arabic channels. (Then again you are not here to watch TV). Air conditioning remote failed to work, even after changing the batteries.

I wasn't well 3rd day, and when the owner got to know about it, he even offered to get a member of staff to get something from the local pharmacy. (I declined in the end - but the offer was there !)

Being half-board, meant we had an evening meal, which was 3 courses, and all were very nice.
Drinks were extra - but that was expected. Soda was about £1.50.

Only complaint was the confusion on the last night about the room number, and had the menus snatched from our hands by the waiter, and mumbled about having to use the paid menu.
On two nights, there was a pianist. (rated his playing 30%)

Wifi was good and mainly accessible via the lobby.

In conclusion - I loved the place. The people were friendly - and the hotel was clean.
I WILL BE COMING BACK AGAIN SOON.

Room Tip: .Try and get a room at the back of the hotel then you don't get to hear the noise of the traffic...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mfield999

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 6 February 2014

It was my 3rd time in Marrakech and the 1st time at LeCaspien's.
I chose this hotel as I liked the photos, the fact there was a piano bar/restaurant and there was a wifi in the hotel.

THE HOTEL seems to be very new, as I learnt, it was opened or renovated in 2006 and the professional photos on the website shows the real hotel. I was impressed because these photos were the reality. There is a lift, which is much more comfortable for someone who is accomodated in an upper level. In each floor, there is a place to sit and it is very comfortable.

THE ROOM was very clean, the bed was comfortable with a very nice decorated bed staff on it. the TV in the room had a very bad connection, sometimes no signal, in my opinion it was the analogic streaming. The wifi was unfortunatelly not in the room but in a public places at the hotel. I really must admit that the roomkeepers do a very nice job.

THE BREAKFAST was just fantastic, the staff was very very friendly and very professional. I sit down and immediately there was a lady who came to offer me some tea or some coffee... and concerning to the variety of the breakfast, it was very correct, as for exemple: pancakes, croissants,pains au chocolats, pain au raisin, 2 or 3 kinds of bread, fresh fruit salad, many kinds of jam, 2 kinds of cheese slices, fresh press juice... etc... the only negative thing were the scrambled eggs that were very dry and that's why not very tasty at all. (my recommendation, put some/more milk with the eggs before scrambling it... it will help to stay fresh longer...

THE RESTAURANT was just fantastic, with a guy who played on the piano and sang very well. The meal was very well decorated with warm plates (the proof for me that the chef is a professional and I had a confidence during all the dinner:)). The restaurant should be easily compared to 4**** hotel. EXCEPT smoking!!!! I really hated eating while someone sitting on the bar was smoking at the same time. The smoke of the cigarette went to my table. It was very impolite and I was upset the staff did not care.

THE STAFF - I found the staff very nice, except of when I arrived, the staff was little bit cold (as there were 3 people at the reception and only 1 person said Hello to me). I also had the wifi problems the first day. The wifi was detected but my device could not connect. Although I tried Automatic proxy http or reset the internet network on my phone, it still did not work. I was sure then it was not a problem with my device. I went at the reception to ask if they could do something. The receptionst restarted the rooter but obviously it did not work. I gave them advice to restart the wifi box or the central internet box (not the rooter box at the reception) but they did not understand me, in my opinion. What I really disliked was the way when I came later to ask if they solved the problem, the only answer was that the receptionist's wifi worked on his device and then I was being ignored, I was standing at the reception without even little interest to help me from the staff, they were continuing their work and I really understood that time the staff was not really interested to help me and to fix the problem at all. The following morning the internet started working and I learnt there were other clients who were complaing about this problem as well. My advice is the staff should be more informed to solve and fix these kind or problems and show the enthousiasme in general. Because I know they all have the potential to be very professional receptionists one day... and some of them already are. I would like to name Ahmit, the night receptionist who was very kind, even at 4 am in the morning:)

THE AREA does not seem the safest but to be honest, I have never had a problem. The positive thing: the hotel 5 minutes walking from Plaza in Gueliz, 10 minutes walking from the historical center Medina etc...

As a conclusion I would love to say that it is just perfect that the hotel is 3*** as I was not disapointed at all and even much more surprise. If it was 4 **** hotel, I would be definitely disappointed because of the service. But for 3 *** hotel, 90% of everything was very correct.
It would be great for the next time I come, that there is even the wifi in the rooms, as for now it is very negative thing for this hotel.

And one last thing, the water in the shower is just magic. After 3 days of washing myself with that water, my skin is definitely better, softer ...

I will definitely come back next time and I hope that I will see the improvement... That is why I am writing this opinion...

Room Tip: The lower levels = possibility to have a stronger wifi connection outside of the room...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank YannParis18
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I can only agree with the review below...Bar staff and manager were excellent...my cousin had a slight fall whilst visiting Atlas Mountains, injuring his back...the staff sorted out a doctor to attend in the middle of the night and the following morning arranged transport to the local medical centre and back...Would stay again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just got back from a week at the caspien with my brother,cousin and 3 friends.Had a great time,the hotel is nicely situated and clean.I cannot praise the manager and bar staff enough,they were very friendly and attended to all our needs without fail.We loved the roof top bar where we spent most afternoons playing 60s music and drinking the local lager.They had entertainment down in the bar most nights and the food was top class,all in all a great little hotel.

Neil,gary and friends

Room Tip: floor 5 have some bigger rooms
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I was recommended this place by a friend who stayed here last September.

It is a great location. We walked everywhere to the Medina, Yves St Laurent Gardens.... Bahia Palace... Etc. The staff are very polite, very helpful and always willing to help resolve any issue you face like finding a charger for your phone - great bonus. It's the little things that count.

The food is of tasty and well presented in the restaurant. I fell in love with the Almond au gratin. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Aim for a higher floor or not facing the streets if you are sensitive to noise. I seep through nothi...
1 Thank Triniroxie G
Melbourne Central
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Hotel Le Caspien for two nights, and the room was clean and spacious, with lovely Moroccan decor. Enjoyed delicious meal at restaurant, walking distance to town centre and Medina. I would recommend this hotel for family, couple or singles.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank E M
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

It's a very nice place to stay. There are two options of restaurant and the apartment is ok. The staff is helpful and the owner is very polite. I really recommend this hotel. someday if a comeback to Marrakesh I certainly would stay in the hotel Le Caspien.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple