“Nice little boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel le Caspien

Hotel le Caspien
Ranked #133 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Right in the centre if gueliz, about and half an hour walk from Jama el fna. The hotel was clean and the staff was welcoming. The option was available to book an excursion from the hotel. Staff were helpful to get ironing done for you for 30dh. Breakfast was nice and you are able to have it early if you have an excursion booked. Rooms were cleaned everyday which is always nice to come back to after a long day shopping in the souks. Happy guests :)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel le Caspien

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed here 4 nights last week. The room I had was facing the front. There was two small windows which made it quite dark. I asked for a room with a bigger window but there were none available. I was offered a different room for the next night but did not bother to change as by then I had unpacked and had got settled. It turned out that the small windows meant that the room was cooler (there was air conditioning but I generally try not to use it if I can help it). The room was clean enough, there was a dated bathroom that had a bath with a shower curtain. The shower was okay, it wasn't powerful but it was what I'd expect from a 3 star hotel in Morocco. There was a safe which cost 250 dirhams a day (I wasn't expecting to pay but as I had not paid that much for the room, I did not mind). The television had only one English channel (BBC news) but if the television plays such a big part in your stay I would suggest that you bring a laptop with dvds or something. There is only wifi available in the lobby.
The location was, as previously stated, a good walk from the Medina but there is plenty going on around the hotel. It is in the new town, Gueliz and there are a lot of top end shops within a 5 minute walk. The area was very safe, there were a lot of people hanging around on the streets after dark but they were not intimidating and kept themselves to themselves. I don't understand previous reviews saying the area was dangerous. It is off the main street but there are other hotels and restaurants within 50metres so there are always people coming and going.
The breakfast was not a traditional western breakfast. There was bread, toast, fresh muffins or fresh pancakes that you could have with honey, apricot jam, strawberry jam or fig jam (the jams seemed home made, they were very nice). There were also yoghurts, fresh orange juice, pastries (danish type) and buns. There was scrambled egg (which was quite rubbery), cheese and cold meat if you preferred savoury. All in all breakfast was fine, there is something there for everyone.
I would stay again, for a 3 star hotel it was more than adequate. I got a hotel shuttle back to the airport for 100 dirham which was a lot more reasonable than the taxi I paid on the way out (I was charged 150 dirhams).

Room Tip: There was a bit of sporadic noise from the road during the night, if I was staying again I would get...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed for 7 nights few days ago, I had a mixed experience, I chose this hotel because of good reviews but sorry to say I am disappointed, room were small, water in the shower Luke warm,no fridge it was very basic, needs a serious attention in a bathroom, breakfast was basic only fresh orange juice and hot tea and coffee other then that nothing extra ordinary, room were clean and hallway was dark and lift were slow in operation, wifi signal only in a reception area, if you stay in a second floor then forget about sleep all night you will hear music noise and facing to the swimming pool rooms to the building apartment and they were directly looking in to our room so no privacy, there were no net but only curtain so you have stay in the dark, apart from one or two reception staff rest were just doing there hours but not interested in customers service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Naeem197
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Clean Boutique Hotel with a comfortable feel to it. Bed was comfortable and the water was hot. Good breakfast. Staff was professional and the pool area was clean. We were in the front however the neighborhood is quiet so no problem there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights from 09/04/14.

Rooms

I was lucky enough to be upgraded to the 5th floor in a suite overlooking the pool. A very good room with a big balcony, lounge area and plenty of cupboard space. I was very grateful. On the balcony you can pick up the Wi-Fi from the terrace above(shhh)

However I am sensitive to noise and the room was right next to the lift which was very noisy. It is also directly underneath the roof terrace and there was a fair bit of chairs scraping. The music vibrated on the ceiling. One of the speakers was on the floor and thumped on the ceiling very loud. I asked for it to be turned down 4 x, which they did ASAP. One was at 12.30am.
I have ear plugs so the lift noise was ok.

The room was cleaned to a high standard every day.
Staff
All very helpful and polite, especially the manager Mohammed who was very helpful.The check in was very smooth and they reception staff were always on hand to answer any questions or help in anyway. I wanted to stay an extra 2 nights as I had a suite and I had booked a Riiad for my last 2 nights. He said it was no problem and arranged my stay, unfortunately I could not as the riiad was going to charge me to cancel.

I ate on the hotel on 3 out of the 4 nights. Both restaurants are excellent in relation to quality,variety and service. The food is more novo cuisine (small portions) I am not a big eater but in the Chez Zoel on my 2nd visit ordered 2 starters and 2 main courses and it was just enough. The dishes are not expensive though. A big eater would need three portions!
Breakfast was only ok, plenty of pastries & yogurt. The only hot dish was scrambled eggs.

Area

Some reviews say it was not the best area and felt unsafe. It is down a side road but I never felt uncomfortable. It’s a 3 min walk to the McDonald's where the main Guliez square is. Plenty of taxis around there or I noticed they were outside the hotel.

Overall.
For the price its very good value and I enjoyed my stay and would return.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking floor, not next to lifts.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Bob40
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Hotel is situated centrally on a side street away from main road, budget rooms are either side of the lifts which can be a bit annoying, Our first room had broken air con and no hot water, so we asked for change, after speaking to others this is par for the course - you seeem to get a basic room then have to haggle for another, some guests had asked for several room changes, dont take it tooo seriously, this is Marrakech after all. There a two menues, teh half board (table d'Hote) and al a carte, we found evening meal portions are a bit small but ok as they fll you up with lots of local bread We had buiding work in the room next door during the day but this was local crash and bang nothing serious.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
2  Thank filby7
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This was my first time in Marrakesh (my partners his second) and was therefore relieved to be in a centrally located, not too close to the town centre, friendly clean hotel. The staff and hotel manager were always helpful and our bedroom was clean. Breakfast was fine and wish I had dined at their restaurant as it was clearly very good quality and only heard good things about it. Make sure you set the price of the taxi before you jump in (about 40 dirham to the market/souks) and get a business card from reception so if you get lost and the taxi driver does not understand your pronunciation of the hotel name you can show them. You will have lots of adventures, do keep you handbag close to your body and definitely visit Medina at night (take a coat/jumper it gets cold at night) - it comes alive with sound and music. Also visit the Yves St Laurent garden only 5/10 mins away by foot, a Know/learn basic French - you will need it and they mainly speak French. Wonderful experience that I will never forget and definitely plan to come back.

Thank you Hotel Le Caspien for a wonderful stay and holiday.

Room Tip: Try to get a room from the 4th floor up, not as noisy, our room was fine as on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple