“Beautifully decorated, lovely owner and staff”
Review of Riad Ayadina

Riad Ayadina
Ranked #171 of 1,170 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We were fortunate to stay at the Riad Ayadina in September of this year. This review has been long over due. We can only say how beautiful this place was, made more so by the owner, friend-guests and staff. The food was delicious - every day breakfast and dinner were just a delight. Freshly and wonderfully cooked. The Riad was tastefully decorated with lots of little corners were you could sit and have a shisha and a glass of...the rooms were kept clean and v comfortable. I did not rate Marrakech as a holiday location at all but I am so glad that I had the privilege of staying at the Riad and would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who wants a wkend of R&R...the spa girls were fantastic.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, avoid the rooms that are on the side of the Riad that is next to the mai...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Simsim80

Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed at the Riad for five nights at the start of June 2011. The weather was mixed, warm but not overly hot, with light rain on one day.

The Riad is situated inside the Medina (historic core), against the northern most ramparts. For the Medina, it is a relatively quiet part of town, but the outside streets still have a lively hustle and bustle. Inside the Riad, however, it is one of the most tranquil experiences you will find.

We were made to feel very welcome. The friendly staff delivered impeccable service and the owner, Christine, was charming and incredibly helpful.

Breakfast on the roof terrace will be one of our treasured memories. It was always fresh and served quickly. Similarly, for the days that we wanted lunch in the Riad, this was no problem - substantial light meals, which were delicious. The evening meals were also a treat: one evening we ate on the roof terrace, and, on another, we were served in the sumptuous, open air internal courtyard. A magical experience. The food was excellent - authentic, local cuisine – and although there was no choice, this actually made for a home-from-home feeling, which we rather enjoyed.

On other occasions, we ate out, and Christine was helpful in recommending restaurants. That said, for us, the most memorable experiences were cheap – eating in the square and the side streets. No problems encountered, but maybe we were lucky!

Back to the Riad, our room was delightful (no problem with hot water!). The 'Alicia' room is very atmospheric and a joy to wake up in. Purple dominates the décor and the bed is superbly comfortable. Two sinks in the en suite bathroom, and a large bath. An incredibly comfortable superior room that felt like a suite.

The massages in the basement spa were the best that we had experienced. Definitely worth booking one in during your stay.

The Riad has some bikes available to borrow. We went out one morning for a ride around the nearby palmeraie, past a load of camels (technically dromedaries), and through the massive plantation.

Three and a half days in Marrakech is probably enough excitement, particularly for a first trip, so we decided to head out of town for one day. We organised an excursion, through the Riad but organised by a separate company, into the Atlas Mountains in a Toyota 4x4 (the "Japanese dromedary"!). A wonderful experience.

Overall, we would unreservedly recommend the Riad Ayadina. For a blend of luxurious comfort, convenient location, delicious food and welcoming staff, this would be hard to beat.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jane_Chris_June11
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I found the beauty of this riad breathtaking, really wonderful, organic, natural and better than I had expected from the small laneway where you enter.

I found the staff very helpful and the manager Christine was really fun, with good English. Breaksafts were good, nothing too exciting, but well made and fresh.

The spa and hammam was awesome, really an amazing experience, if you do stay there, don't miss it!

The only problem is the location. It's pretty far from the main square (although I found that to be a very dissappoining experience as it happens) at least a 30 minute walk IF you don't get lost... We like some adventure so were happy to wander around and get a little lost during the day, but it wouldn't be fun at night.

Beware of kids that offer you directions, we found some that said the knew the porters name so we assumed they were good neighbourhood kids, but when they got us to the Riad (a 15 minute walk from where we got lost) we offerered them the equivilent of a couple of pounds each they started shouting, saying they wanted the equivalent of £10 each and trying to get their hands into my partners handbag. Not cool. A taxi to town should cost about £3, so their demands were proposterous. Soon as the host came to the door we popped inside but could hear them shouting for a while after... still, it's all an adventure, right?

All in all we loved the trip to Marrakech, the markets are great fun, but there are many husslers in the tourist areas and everyone will try and direct you there, you really have to go against the flow to get off the tourist trail, but it's a lot more interesting when you do - probably the best thing about the location is that it is off the tourist trail - by quite a lot!

I'd recommend this Riad to people who like independent travel and a little adventure, it really is beautiful and in an interesting part of town away from the main tourist hussle.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank justinguitar-dot-com
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Christine and her staff really hit the top during our five days stay at Riad Ayadina. It was our second stay in Marrakesh and after a so-called "palace" experience in one of those large and famous chain hotels, we were willing to experience the real "Medina Life", we sure got it. Due to Christine's good advices, everything ran perfectly for us in the small Derbs. Within the Riad, we had much better Moroccan (and international) food than in the "tourists traps" where some taxi drivers want to take you to get their "bakkchich". We've been on a desert tour with one of the Riad's referenced guides, the guy was fluent in english and we discovered the life in the countryside with, once more a cheerfull welcome with berberian tea and local cookies. Back in the Medina, Aicha took care of us for the traditionnal "massage and gommage", another souvenir! Many many thanks Christine, we'll be back for sure, as soon as we can. J & R

Room Tip: Atina suite
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I'm afraid this Riad was a disappointment. The decor is lovely and the room we had was beautiful. However, there was a "couldn't care" attitude from the owner which spoilt thngs really. The staff do try their best absolutely but too many times were things not there because they were waiting on the owner.

also - we ordered some food and amazingly in Morrocco were given ham and cheese sandwiches.....not the Morrocco experience we were looking for.

Just the feeling of the place wasn't special.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Janine058
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Rooms all excellent (we looked) , roof top terrace lovely with small pool , comfortable loungers and well looked after flowers everywhere - haven of peace BUT

not really a restaurant and food limited and expensive in Ayadina -centre of Marrakesh 20mins by taxi away and NO you can't walk in evening.night as dangerous according to Moroccons and French( we were there during the bombing and advice was same before /after) .

The water pipes burst on day before last and we were forced to go to another much worse hotel - Ma'am not very helpful .

also A/C never worked all the stay .

Room Tip: internal facing balcony on upper floors
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kilgore1
RiadAyadina, Directeur général at Riad Ayadina, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Dear Kilgore1,

I thank you for your comment and also for the tip that you left about the design and the good atmosphere in Riad Ayadina.

However I am very sorry to read the rest of your review, especially while during your stay, you did not show me any sign of disappointment nor let me feel or told me that there was any problem. On the contrary, you seemed quite happy about our level of service.

You arrived the 1st evening at around 9pm, while the other guests were dining. After showing you around the riad, your room and giving you some directions about Marrakech and its touristic sites, you finally decided to have a diner. It was almost 10pm (time when the kitchen is supposed to close…), we offered you to have the Guest House menu which we renew every evening, made of a starter, main course and a desert. The price of this menu is 30€, clearly announced on our website and during your stay. You finally opted for an 'A la Carte' diner finishing at 11 pm with some mint tea and moroccan pastries.
Yes, we are not a restaurant and just as a reminder we are categorized as a guest house/B&B and we do not intend to be classified as a restaurant. We cook fresh products to offer our guests breakfasts, half board diners and even `à la carte´ lunch. Moreover our pricelist is clearly defined on the menu (which is not the custom in Morocco).

After your diner, you then came for advice as you wanted to go out in the medina of Marrakech. I must admit that I was a little worried due to the bombing which just occurred in the morning. I had no updated information about it, it was 11pm and I recommended you to stay in the riad for the rest of evening. The experience that you had in Marrakech during this period was very unfortunate, and we deeply regret it. However, the way you feel about the safety in Marrakech have nothing to do with the riad itself.

The day after, you went out for an excursion outside of Marrakech and I offered you to keep your luggages in a room for the night you were out. You came back from your trip the next day, stayed on the terrace the whole afternoon, relaxing in the swimming pool. You also had lunch with our `A la carte' menu again, and this is why I am really surprised by your comment about the food in your review as at this time, you seemed to enjoy our cuisine a 2nd time and you also shared your satisfaction with myself when we met on the terrace.

The last day of your stay, we had a general water failure from 10am causing the emergency to relocate you. You choose the 5 stars hotel KENZI FARAT as this was close to the station where you had an early morning train scheduled for your departure. I even had to drive you from the hotel to the station to show you how it was easy to go there by walk. I am sure you can understand that some issue can happen but I understood we came to the above agreement in finding a place at your convenience.

As for the comment about the French colonial Ma’am, I will let the people that know me well (including my team who have been working with me for almost 10 years) to have their own appreciation, however I do not feel this title appropriate nor do I think it is fair from you to call me as such especially on TripAdvisor.

If there is anything that was not at your convenience, I am opened for a discussion and any further improvement of our services.

Regards,
Riad Ayadina

Reviewed 27 October 2010

Christine and her staff looked after us beautifully. The bedrooms were delish with wonderful bathrooms. The public areas were stunning and kept immaculately clean. Breakfast on the terrace was delightful - we even got to take home a pot of their homemade compote. The hamman was worth a visit - we were scrubbed to an inch of our lives with alot of giggling. Speaking french would have made our trip even better!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends