“Look no further than Dar Silsila!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dar Silsila

Dar Silsila
Ranked #280 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
London, England
“Look no further than Dar Silsila!!”
Reviewed 2 March 2008

We booked Dar Silsila via Riads.co.uk for 4 nights in early February for my girlfriends birthday.

The communication with our host - Jean Patrick - before our arrival gave us every confidence that our stay would be special, and so it turned out. (on our return to our room on the 1st night
JP had left my partner a birhtday gift, which we thought was a lovely touch)

Having made the arrangements we were picked up at the airport and taken directly to the Riad, and was welcomed by Jean Patrick and his staff with mint tea and homemade cookies.

Our 1st night was in a Deluxe Standard room which was very nice, and the remaining 3 nights was spent in a suite, which made our stay very special.

JP was always very helpful in giving directions, booking restaurants and organising days out - we went on a day trip to the Atlas mountains - he ensured that your stay would be memorable.

The riad itself is beautiful and now it has been expanded in size with the purchase of another building it is an excellent place to stay.

JP and his staff are very attentive and you will struggle to find a place to stay as good as this in most places around the world.

We have no hesitation in recommending the Dar Silsila!!!!

Thank you JP and you staff.
Alan & Mara

• Liked — Beautiful house and friendly host and staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave!!!
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2008

6 Days in Febuary 2008
Dar Silsila
Stephen & Anne Dunne Dublin Ireland
We stayed in Dar Silsila with our two teenage kids for 6 days earlier in Febuary and really enjoyed the trip. Katrina and Zack were really helpful and provided great advice about how to get places and make the most of our stay. We especially wanted to go to the Atlas mountains and they organised the taxi who stayed with use for the day. We went to Sitta Fatima a lovely village in the mountains and enjoyed it very much.
Essaouira was another must for us and was recommended, a lovely place very beautiful on the sea.
Dar Silsila were great at organising restaurants and we got to some very nice places, the best for us was called Fondouk, the food was excellent and is worth the visit.
Dar Silsila is well positioned in the medina and with the attentive staff makes for a great stay.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank StephenDunne
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2008

We have just returned from staying at Dar Silsila. What can I say that hasn't already been said! From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, we were treated like royalty. Jean Patrick was on holiday himself the first couple of days, so Zack welcomed us, this young man is great, a real asset to Dar Silsila. He always had a smile on his face and nothing was too much trouble. All the staff were very polite and attentive at all times. We had pre booked our tagine dinner on our first night, and it was delicious! Infact the restaurant was full, a good testament of how great the food is. We had to wait a while until a table was ready, and this worked out to our benefit, as we had our own private room in the new wing of the riad, with soft lighting, very romantic, we both felt very special. The breakfast which was also good consisted of pancakes, honey, fresh fruit yoghurt and fresh bread. Through out the day when ever we returned to the riad we had mint tea and biscuits, if the weather was hot we would have these on the terrace, whilst topping up our tan! Jean Patrick has recently acquired another riad next door, and so has another 5 rooms, also a new much larger terrace, . There are comfy sunbeds and plenty of tables and chairs to relax on. By the summer he is hoping to have the new spa open. We met Jean Patrick the day before we left, and we found him to be a very caring genuine man. He had been hurt by a negative comment left by someone recently. They were complaining that they had been charged in full, when they cancelled at the last minute due to a bereavement. They must understand that by cancelling at short notice it is impossible for the owner to find new occupants, it would be a different story if it was a much larger hotel. I am glad to say that even though this person had rated the Dar Silsila 1 out of 5, it hasn't damaged the position on TA. It is still no 5, although in my opinion I think it it should be no 1 as it is exceptional value for money, and the personal service and helpfulness that is second to none.

• Liked — everything!
  • Disliked — nothing!
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank tibbycat
London, England
Reviewed 22 February 2008

My girlfriend and I have just returned to London after a 3 night (4 actually, but more of that later) stay in Dar Sisila in Marrakech. I can categorically state that the Riad Dar Sisila is not worthy of a 5/5 rating. IT SHOULD BE A 6/5 ... it really is that EXCELLENT!!

A summary of why we thought this, in addition to all the other positive comments other people have previously written:

1) Excellent Pre-Trip Communications:
I booked via emails a month before travelling, and was immediately impressed by the quick and timely responses from Dar Sisila's owner Jean Patrick, particularly given some other Riads didn't even bother responding to emails I sent them.

Jean Patrick not only replied immediately to all my emails to answer all my questions, he also confirmed that my girlfriend and I would be able to leave our luggage in the Riad for 12 hours when we checked out on the Thursday morning as we did not need to go to airport until late in the evening (we were flying back to London very early on Friday morning, and me being Scottish (ie short arms and deep pockets), I didn't want to pay for another night accommodation when we would have to leave in the early hours of the morning)

2) Central location:
The Riad is situated between the main square and the Souks and the Mosque, and is ideally located for walking to all of the Medina's main attractions.

3) Personable and hospitable staff:
JP and all the staff at the DS are extremely friendly and welcoming. No request is too much for them, and everything is done with a smile. They answered all my girlfriends questions about the ingredients in the meals we ate at the Riad (hey, we bought a Tajine pot from the Souks, so were keen to steal the Dar Sisila's recipes before coming home!) with patience, even bringing out bottles of oil from the kitchen to help explain what they were talking about.

But the thing that summed up our experience at the Riad was JP's act of kindness to my girlfriend and I on our last day. As mentioned previously, we were planning on checking out on the Thursday morning, leaving our luggage in the Riad, and picking it up late at night before heading to the airport to wait to check-in for our 7:30 AM flight the next morning.

When he realised we were doing this, JP offered us an extra night FOR FREE as he happened to have a room available for the Thursday evening. It was an incredibly kind gesture (one that had my girlfriends mouth hanging open in surprise for several minutes when he offered this to us!), and one that was not just highly appreciated, but also made the end of our time in Marrakech a lot more comfortable and enjoyable than if we had to hang around the airport in the early hours of the morning.

THANK YOU Jean Patrick and all at Dar Sisila!

Tips for staying in the Dar Sisila:

* Book the Taxis offered by Jean Patrick. Yes, they are perhaps a little bit more expensive than if you flag them down on the street, but booking via the Riad is extremely convenient and will get you and your luggage right to the front door, keeping things nice and simple.

* You will probably be offered some mint tea when you arrive at the Riad. Take them up on the offer!

* Eat at least one meal in the Riad (and try to make it a lamb tajine...it was delicious, the best tajine we had in Marrakech)

Tips for Marrakech.

* STAY AT THE RIAD DAR SISILA!

* Get lost in the Souks, take the time to stop and talk to the stall keepers even if you are not buying anything, and haggle haggle haggle!

* Enjoy mint tea in one of the Jemma El Fna ('Big Square') cafes whilst watching the food stalls being set up at night.

* Go to the Al Fassia restaurant in Gueliz. It is only 20 minute walk from the Medina, and the food really is excellent. If there are two of you, I would definitely recommend sharing a Morroccan salad and the Pidgeon for starters. (the flying rat was tasty, but the salad was absolutely out of this world (hint: take your camera!)

* Take trainers or good walking shoes. You will be doing a lot of walking in Marrakech!

* 3 days is probably enough for most people to see the sights, sounds and smells of Marrakech. If you are going for longer, I would definitely advise you think about doing some trips to the Atlas Mountains, Sahara etc.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Ross_McLan
Switzerland
Reviewed 18 February 2008

We never actually got to stay at this place because my Mother died a few days before we were due to arrive. This man charged us 100% for our stay even before we would have arrived there. Perhaps he was able to charge twice for the room, we will never know. I would never again book a room with this Riad.
I guess it's just all about the money.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — That we had to pay so much for it
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sallychristine
silsila, the owner at Dar Silsila, responded to this review, 19 February 2008
Firstly, I must clarify that this person never stayed at Dar Silila.

Whilst we are very sympathetic to Personal tragedies, it cannot change the cancellation policy that is quite clear to all prospective reservations. This person only contacted me to cancel a few days before arrival, making it impossible to re let the room at such short notice. Dar Silsila only has four bedrooms making this one reservations value to be 25% of our total revenue, it would be unjust to expect us to lose this amount through no fault of our own.

All hotels/guest houses have clear cancellation policies to cover unforseen events like this. As indeed most people take travel insurance to cover thenselves in situations like this.

Once again, we are truly sorry for the loss of this persons mother. Sadly, something we will all face in due course. This is not the responsibility of the hotel.

jean patrick
dar silsila
Woking
Reviewed 13 February 2008

Great place peaceful and relaxing, room was clean staff were very friendly. Riad was in a great location for exploring Marrakesh.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
Birmingham
Reviewed 9 February 2008

I spent a week in Marrakech with the first 5 days in a central ryad and the last 2 days at Dar Silsila. What can I say and where do I start? From the very first moment, the experience was wonderful. The owner, Jean-Patrick gave us a very warm welcome and showed us to our room. This followed by a mint tea with lovely biscuits. The rooms were amazing. I booked the standard room but managed to get a sneak preview of the others. Each room was individually designed, very contemporary yet very traditional. The bed had rose petals, towels were all in place. The actual photos do no justice, you need to see the place for yourself to appreciate the beauty of this riad. On my second night JP organised dinner for us in a candle lit environment, the best meal ever. A beef tangine ... lip licking taste. Anyway I wont bore you all.. In summary the place was amazing and its all because of the excellent team JP has got together. A very big thank you.

• Liked — The frendliness
  • Disliked — Nothing