“Beautiful romantic riad with wonderful staff!”
Review of Dar Silsila

Dar Silsila
Ranked #271 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 9 February 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights during our stay in Marrakech, and we would highly recommend it. Mohammad and Jean-Patrick are both excellent hosts, who did everything they could to ensure we had an enjoyable stay. The riad itself is beautiful and tranquil, our room (the Africa suite) was decorated authentically and luxuriously. The bed and bathroom were even decorated with rose petals. It was wonderful to relax on the terrace with a complementary mint tea after a hot day exploring. It was very conveniently located just a 5 minute walk from the Jemaa el Fna square, in a quiet side street. The breakfast was lovely, and we also enjoyed an evening meal on our first night which was a delicious beef tagine with vegetables.

Overall we had a brilliant time, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dar Silsila!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 January 2010

We found this Ryad through Trip Advisor after hunting for a while trying to find a convenient place to stay for our short break to Marrakech. We were very impressed with both the pictures and the reviews so decided to book it.

On arrival we were greeted with a mint tea by Mohamed who was only too happy to give us the Grand Tour of the Ryad. We were impressed straightaway as even the pictures on the Website do not do the Ryad justice. Our Suite was far more impressive seeing it first hand. It was spotless and contained everything you could wish for for a relaxing break. The rooftop terrace had great 360º views of the Medina, the Koutoubia and the Atlas mountains.
The staff are more than happy to attend to your every need, no matter how small or big it is. Sahiida, will always propose a refreshing tea at any time with her charming smile.
The sumptuous breakfast is more than enough to start the day the right way!
Jean-Patrick and Mohamed are more than happy to help you find your way in the labyrinth of the Medina, book you a taxi, propose an excursion, a massage/hamam, or simply book you a restaurant for the evening.
Failing that, you have the option of an evening meal in the buzzing town or a quiet homemade meal in the ryad itself.
Overall, it was a prefect getaway from the cold and the snow we left behind.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2010

We spent four romantic and lovely days at Dar Silsila. The rooms are exceptionally stylish and aesthetic, the staff extremely helpful, charming and pleasant. Lovely breakfast on the roof terrace and if the weather permitted it, a lovely siesta under the Moroccan sky. We would recommend the private hammam with "gommage" and massage that we enjoyed together.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank runningmates
Reviewed 30 December 2009

When I was planning my trip, I looked for a hotel that was top rated, assuming that comfort, beauty and location were the most important things to look for. They are -- but after having traveled to Morocco alone, as a single woman, there's something that now tops the list: management and staff are the top reasons for staying anywhere, especially in a country like Morocco, which can be difficult to navigate in any case -- but even more so for those who come alone. (Also for those who may be less used to third-world countries.) Dar Silsila come out at the top of my list when it comes to being looked after. Jean Patrick, the riad's owner, was my "guardian angel" and a resource for my entire trip, even after leaving Marrakech, and Mohamed was not only one of the most professional, thoughtful and experienced of any manager
I found during my trip, but was a real friend and base for me to come home to after a long day. Everyone on the staff -- Fouad as well as the others -- were my very favorite staffs of any on my adventure -- all just as sweet and thoughtful as they could be.
I stayed at Silsila both first and last on my 3-week journey. After I told Jean-Patrick of having some bad experiences with a guide, he helped me deal with the situation and gave me the name of an American guide in Morocco who gave me some wonderfully helpful information on Morocco (from a woman's perspective) and helped me find a hotel during the Rose Festival -- free of charge. Jean-Patrick told me some places to shop, walk around, eat, and even gave me his cell phone so I could call him when I needed advice (which I did) after I left Marrakech. He also gave me excellent advice on my return trip when I changed plans, and made bus reservations for me. (NOTE: DO ask riad owners for advice on whatever you do, including guides if you decide to use one. These owners are probably better able to steer you right than Trip Advisor people, who gave me the name of the guide I used, to my sorrow, even after having checked him out with a number of references. I'd also suggest you use govt-certified guides, not just people who live there, drive and show you around and call themselves guides.)
When I came back from my shopping in the evening, both Mohamed and Fouad were there to chat, share stories, laugh, comment on and appreciate my purchases (including telling me whether I did well or not in my bargaining). It was like having friends waiting for me back at the riad.
Mohamed, who manages the riad, is not only a warm and funny person, but knows how to make his guests feel pampered. Sensitive and intuitive, he offers exactly what's needed (peanuts, mint tea, warm words, advice on tipping and what to spend on your purchases) -- exactly when you need it.
The riad is about a 10-15 min walk from the central square (on the shorter side once you know your way around and can take the short cut), which makes it very convenient. The rooms are all fairly large, beautifully furnished, with a complimentary large bottle of water (many other riads charge for this) in every room, delicious continental breakfasts and good dinners, if you opt to eat in. (Many/most of the restaurants have really bland food, and the food at the riad compared favorably to most of the other restaurants I ate in.)
If you're looking for a well-located, warm, lovely riad with a top-notch staff, this is certainly one where you can't go wrong. For me, it was ideal, and I would absolutely stay here again on a return trip.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Julie529
Reviewed 9 December 2009

What really best defines Dar Silsila is the service. Jean Patrick is an excellent host who goes out of his way to may his guests feel comfortable. The whole staff is incredibly friendly and work hard to make your stay the best it can be. The riad is beautiful, a relaxing bastion amongst the hectic pace of the medina. The location is very good. It is only about a 10 minute walk to the Koutoubia Minaret and the Djemaa el Fna.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Wanderusts
Reviewed 8 December 2009

Last August, I fulfilled a life-long dream of visiting Marrakech. Like everyone these days, I researched where to stay on the Internet. I knew I wanted to experience a visit to a riad. It was confusing, however, as there are a plethora of lovely riads in the old Medina, to choose from. I wrote to several but received an immediate and warm response from Dar Silsila. That singled them out above the rest for me right away.

I was traveling for about two weeks before I was to arrive in Marrakech so it was difficult to re-confirm my pick-up at the airport. As I landed around 2:00am I became a bit nervous that they might have forgotten me. To my relief, there was the driver with my name on a placard so it was efficiency from the get-go.

I was exhausted from an 18 hour flight and just wanted to sleep, The staff saw to it that I was not disturbed and offered to bring my breakfast to the room until I was ested and ready to get started exploring this fascinating location.

The riad itself has been expertly decorated in a traditional, elegant and tasteful manner. I particularly enjoyed the beautiful Moroccan paintings everywhere. I had a lovely room on the first floor, spacious and comfortable with all the amenities, including a small safe to stash valuables. Once I was rested, I enjoyed their bountiful breakfast on the rooftop terrace...delicious coffee, fruit, traditional breads and fresh local yougurt and honey. I have problems with blood sugar so needed more protein added and Jean Patrick couldn't have been more obliging. He made sure I had eggs and cheese as soon as I mentioned this too him. He was always helpful with my questions of suggestions of where to eat and shop.

The proximity of Dar Silsil is so convenient to the Place Jemma Fna, it was easy to return several times a day to rest and clean up. it was a peaceful, calm oasis amidst all the chaos of the activity outside.

Most of all, I enjoyed the staff. Mohammed, the manager, was exceptionally professional, efficient and always accomodating as was all of the staff. By the time I left, it felt as if I had been visiting family and friends, not staying at a hotel. I enjoyed it so much, I am already plotting my next visit. I highly recommend Dar Silsila to anyone and all thinking about visiting Marrakech. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank mexilady10
Reviewed 7 December 2009

Where do I start?!
My husband and I stayed at Dar Silsila for 4 nights from 1-5 dec and we wish we could have stayed longer!
From the moment we entered the Riad we were met with the warmest kindest welcome (and THE BEST mint tea and cookies ever!)
Mohamed was on hand whenever we needed tips & advice, but more than being super helpful he was also extremely accomodating and kind and we felt like the Riad was a home away from home.
Mary and Mohamed were fab hosts and the 3 ladies in the Riad baked the greatest cookies and were always smiling and happy, we could tell they truly enjoyed working at Dar Silsila and who can blame them?!
A wonderfully tranquil setting, calm & quiet but still in fantastic proximity to the main sq of Jamma El Fna (5min walk)
We would love to stay here again, and who knows, with all the great shopping it would be a shame not to : )
You will love staying here!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple