“Great service, relaxing environment and spotlessly clean”
Review of Dar Silsila

and 1 more site!
Dar Silsila
Ranked #269 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Great service, relaxing environment and spotlessly clean”
Reviewed 27 November 2010

We have just returned from a six night stay at Dar SilSila.

Plus Points
Service – Mohammed was ultra helpful and really went above and beyond to ensure our stay was pleasant and we had everything we needed.
Cleanliness – The hotel and rooms are full of all sorts of tasteful little ornaments which are kept spotlessly clean and you’ll struggle to find any dust or dirt anywhere. The trees, rose petals, cushioned sofas etc all go to make the riad a genuinely relaxing place to be.
Location – 5-10 minute work to main square Djemaa el Fna and the Souk. Although down a dark little alleyway Marrakech and the streets do feel safe.
The room – Bed comfortable, shower was hot (although be careful though as not unlimited hot water so make sure you leave some for your partner!).
Free WiFi – The hotel had free wi-fi which was really fast. The wife took her Iphone and we could use Skype at perfect quality to talk to family back home.

Minus Points
Struggling really to think of any. If you wanted to be ultra picky you could say the breakfast was a bit samey with just a yoghurt, bread and depending on the day croissants/pancakes/thin crumpet looking things. However we spoke to friends in another Riad and that appears to be standard fare for all of them. Before you think it I wasn’t expecting sausages, bacon, eggs and beans but perhaps a slice of cheese and an egg or two might have been nice.

Overall I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the Riad to anyone and I’m certain if you stay there you won’t be disappointed.

In case you want to read any more about our Marrakech experience then feel free to read on.

******************************************************************************************

First couple of days we explored the Northern and Southern parts of the Medina as well as the square and the Souk. In the Northern part of the Medina the Musee de Marrakech and the Medersa Ben Youssef are well worth visiting. The Palais Bedil was less impressive to me but also worth visiting.

We then spent a night in the desert. We booked this through Imzi Tours who didn’t have enough people to do their tour so backed the trip off to another company who’s name I never found out. We paid 770 Dhirams or 70 Euros and found out everyone else paid 650 Dhirams. I think as a result of them backing the tour off they also weren’t 100% accurate with their description of how things would be. After complaining they came to the Riad to give us back the difference which won back my faith in proving they are a reputable company to deal with. We made the 8+ hour journey to the desert in a minibus which was pretty unpleasant. For probably about 2 hours There was a bend every 20 metres and our driver would accelerate fully into them and then break last minute then repeat the whole process. I have never been travel sick in my life but felt awful by the end of the journey. When we finally arrived in the desert we took the camels for about an hour to get to the tents. My recommendation is to try to sit as firmly as you can in the seat and take your ruck sack off your back. When we got there we were showed to the tents which were big enough to sleep about 15 people in each and they provided grubby looking mattresses and blankets. Again my recommendation is when you go to sleep grab at least two of the mattresses to sleep on and three of the blankets, if possible four and put one beneath you, as you will be freezing during the night if you go this time of the year. The food they cooked was okay, usual chicken tagine, bread etc but stomach wasn’t really up to it after the journey. However after all the negatives the trip was in my opinion worthwhile. The view at night of the stars and the dunes was amazing, we were lucky enough to be under a full moon. The next day at sunrise it was also great walking through the dunes with the moon still in the sky. I even enjoyed the return journey on the camel as was more used to it and stayed sat back in the saddle. On the way back we also stopped at Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou which is where some of the fight scenes from Gladiator were filmed. Final word on this tour is that If you can get smoother transport like for example a 4x4 between a group of you but pay more for it I would recommend you do so.

On our last day we went to les bains de Marrakech for a three hour massage session. I did the hamman, the relaxing massage and then the hot stones massage. The place was very relaxing and pretty and the massages were great. Only downside was two bright red burn marks on my back from two of the hot stones being a bit too hot! I was thinking well it has to hurt a bit to do you good but advice is if it’s hurting go with your instincts and say something!

Overall I’m pleased we went to Marrakech. It was crowded, intense, dusty, noisy and hence a long way removed from what most of us are used to even for myself living in London. It was amazing though how quickly you got used to things and by the end of it I felt quite at home in amongst it all.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed 21 November 2010

DarSilsila was barely a name when we picked it mostly for its location than anything else. The website is really cool and well designed, but I have been travelling enough to know that sometimes the match to reality is not always right. Well, this was not the case: we arrived and felt immediately at home. Jean Patrick, Mohammed and the whole staff are like the perfect hosts with advice, help and details that made stay a very, very enjoyable experience throughout. Beautiful design, cozy rooms, charming terrace, hyper clean, perfect location, Darsilsila is no longer only a name. Merçi, shkra encore et wda'a.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Julia Bristol
We stayed at Dar Silsila for four nights and from the moment we arrived until when we left we we were so well looked after. The pick up from the airport was most welcome never having been to Marrrakesh before. We ate at the Dar Silsila our first night and the meal was so good we ate there again on our last night. Jean Patrick, Mohammed and the staff were so helpful during our stay. Jean Patrick took some time to explain the layout of Marrakech and advised places to eat at and visit. We explained our first port of call had to be to Supratours to book coach tickets to Essouira. He offered to do this for us as you can't book in advance its just a case of going to the ticket office. This was just so kind as it freed up our first morning for sight seeing. The Riad is in a great location we would certainly stay there again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2010

We booked an airport pick up through the riad which is fabulous if it is your first time and you are a bit unsure of the cabs and the maze like Medina. And once we had arrived all the staff were very helpful and it was easy to settle in to this lovely place. It is also worth noting again that it is in an excellent spot, close enough to the main square and souks but not right in the middle of it all which you quickly appreciate. The public spaces and rooms were tidy and well kept by the staff. And most importantly Mohammed (the Riad Manager) was a fabulous! Helpful, friendly and kept us well entertained and full of mint tea and cookies. Defintely recommend!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Jean Patrick & Mohammed are the most wonderful & giving people I have ever met. From before the moment we arrived they helped with the many questions and concerns I had for my trip to to Marrakech. Nothing was too much even when it was. Dar Silsila and its staff is like no other. They truly make you feel like it is your home and give honest advice & help to make your time in Marrakech & Morocco memorable. The location of Dar Silsila & its proximity to everything can not get more convenient. The rooms and the common areas of the riad are exquisite and the food was divine. On my next visit to Marrakech it will be my only choice for accommodation.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
New York City
Reviewed 4 November 2010

The outstanding features of Dar Silsilia are spacious and spotlessly clean rooms, the beautiful decor and indoor/outdoor common areas, delicious breakfast, mint tea and cookies, and the welcoming and attentive staff. I especially appreciated the location - you could access the plaza easily by exiting the nearby medina gate or you could choose to get lost by trying to find your way through the narrow and winding medina "streets". It was a pleasure to return at the end of the day to relax in the rooftop garden.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Let me start off by saying, as a New Yorker i'm really not too impressed by to many things but I have to say not only was Dar Silsila located in the perfect location (5 min walking distance to the square) the service was impeccable. I really felt like I was hanging out with some of my favorite relatives. They gave us the in's & outs of where to go, what resturants we should check out & how much things should cost. The rooms were decorated in such elegance & style, I almost forgot we were mintues away from all the hustle & bustle. I truly miss Jean Patrick & Mohammad. You really made our trip a memorable one!

Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends