“Good location, poor customer service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dar Naima

Dar Naima
Ranked #240 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
England
“Good location, poor customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

Good things:
1. Location is very close to the city centre (approx 5 mins walk from Al-Fana square) and easy to find
2. The moroccan staff especially ILham is exceptionally helpful and polite and makes fabulous Tajine and Coscus (15 euro per meal but a lot nicer than restaurant's food- definately worth tying at least once!)

Bad things:
1. I had to pay full amount in cash on my arrival and I wasn't allowed to see my room before a full payment is made.

2.The french lady who manages the Riad has a very bad temper both with the staff and customers. One day I was surprised when she told me to go to my room only because I spoke to Elham briefly regarding a meal. She thought I was distracting the staff. Even if this was the case she could have said it in a nicer way.However her husband Stephen was very polite and helpful but she seems to be the one in charge of everything.

3.Whenever I wanted to eat in the Riad, The french lady had to decide on the day and time when I should eat beacause she thought that the staff was busy with other things of higher priorities which clearly wasn't the case.
4. The rooms were very small, the blankets weren't clean and there was a smell of dampness in my room (the superior room-Btisam). The rooms are quite different from the photos.
5. Most of the room services mentioned in a long list simply do not exist, e.g. No coffee or tea in the room, not even a kettle, the safe wasn't working,and one day a female guess was looking for a hairdryer but there wasn't one! no Wi-Fi, No Hammam, No massage..etc.

6. In one occasion I invited a female friend for dinner in the Riad. We sat in the lounge for 30 minutes only and we left the place as soon as we finished having our dinner. The french lady kicked up fuss because she thought the girl might come with me to my room!

Will I go back to this Riad? Definately NOT.

Dr Al-Nakib
England

• Stayed December 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank alnakib

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hastings, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

I miss this place SO MUCH!!! Me, my partner and another couple travelled to Marrakech in October 2010 and had booked 4 nights at the Dar naima with the intention of moving around the city a bit for the rest of out 10 night stay. This ryad is such a charming place, it is centered around two courtyards with a roof terrace at the top. The blue patio, one of the two courtyards, even has two pet tortoises wandering around the place! We loved it so much and after reading a few unfavourable reviews of other ryads that are in the same price bracket we ended up booking the rest of our stay here, it was such a stunning place to be and you can't beat breakfast on the roof terrace so we figured we would stay!

The rooms we were already in weren't available for the rest of our stay so Latifa kindly booked us and our friends into a succession of different rooms and only charged us the base rate (bargain of the century) we had to spend one night of our stay in a neighbouring ryad as there was no availability on that day but she sorted it all out for us and put us up in an amazing suit at a bargain price as we had to go to the trouble of moving. I will write a seperate reveiw for that one as it was truly the most amazing place I have ever stayed in, especially considering we went on a serious budget with the intention of staying on hostels.

The Ryad itself was clean and well kept, the showers were a bit pants except for in one of our rooms where it was a bit like a pressure washer but you don't have to pay extra for hot water (which sounds stupid and obvious but is a real thing in ryads in Marrakech, seriously look it up, you can expect to pay 10dh for a hot shower in some places!). It's location couldn't of been better.

The ONLY thing that annoyed me, and subsequently stopped me from sleeping (hence the poor sleep quality rating), was the prescence of cockroaches. Not reams and reams of them but the odd one or two which have a nasty habit of turning up on your pillow at night... nice! Having stayed in a few of the rooms (Fairouz and Btsiam, our friends had three or four others and we stayed one night at the other ryad) I can safely say that they appeared mostly in the rooms surrounding the yellow patio as opposed to the rooms surrounding the blue patio, which appeared to be mostly cockraoch free. But really, they are a common problem in Marrakech, they are in every building and they actually head for the cleaner residences apparently so they must be doing pretty well, its just unfortunate that the only encounter I personally had with them was at night, in very close proximity to my hair.

We will never forget the time we spent in Dar Naima, the lazy mornings on the roof terrace, the endless pots of mint tea... Bliss :-) and you couldn't want for anywhere better situated for exploring the city. Yes ok, if you have loads of money to spend there are better ryads with better facilities but if you want an authentic experience, at a bargain basement price in a ryad where you can run around the city all day and not have to treck miles to get back to and still enjoy stunning views of the city from the roof top, breakfast served to you every morning, a clean bed to sleep in and lovely staff then you can't beat it.

And don't for goodness sake go to Marrakech and stay in a generic hotel. It would be a fairly pointless exercise when there are such beautiful ryads out there that are cheaper, nicer, cleaner and in easier reach of the city.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

Overall the location was good - right in the Medina. It was easy to find after the first few times of going to and from the center of town. Marakesh itself is a beautiful city - easy to navigate in comparison to Fes. However, the rooms in the Riad are small and look NOTHING like the ones in their photos (especially when thinking about size). Our room had air conditioning which is a must in Morocco - or at least a fan, so be sure to ask your Riad before you book. The room could have been cleaner and the staff much more helpful. Breakfast was nice and sufficiant to get you through lunch, but nothing grandeous. The sheets could have been cleaner as they had someone's hair when we got there. Overall it is a basic, no-frills Riad. The bathroom was clean and so was the shower, I was just shocked with the size of the room, so be prepared. I was expecting hairless sheets, but we made due. The water preassure was non-existant in the shower. Overall it was tolerable and the AC made it even nicer in the evenings and after coming back from a long day of exploring. It's good if you're looking for something basic and inexpensive - just to sleep when you come home. The location is also great. Be wary of the airport transport: he was late picking us up from the airport and he dropped us off OUTSIDE the medina walls. It's tricky to find from outside, and he doesn't offer to take you in. You can (and will) get a guy with a little rolly cart that will come by and put your bags in his cart and take you right to the door...HE IS NOT WITH THE HOTEL. There are tons of these around. Make sure you arrange a price with this guy first before letting him load your bags in. We thought he came with the hotel and the 15 euros we paid for the transfer (you'd think right?). No. So arrange a price. Also, don't get the 20 euro per person dinner - it's not worth it with all the AMAZING food stalls at night in Jmna del Fna. Great experience you can't miss - all for about $5 per person as opposed to almost $30 at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

The first thing I'd say about this place is that it is in a great location right in the heart of the souks. However, there are pros and cons to this. The pros being obviously that you are only yards away from the souks and all the buzz and excitment that goes with it. However, walking into the souks is like walking into something from an Indiana Jones movie. The medieval maze-type layout is totally mind-boggling, nothing is sign-posted and there are alleys, courtyards and walkways that seem to go on forever.......this is great to explore on foot but make sure you have a VERY good idea of where the Riad is situated or you WILL get lost. wherever I stay I like to have a look around and after arriving late the previous evening my girlfriend and I (armed only with a lonely planet guide, the map in which proved to be totally inadequate) decided to head out after breakfast to take a look around. After spending the morning taking in some of the sights of the Medina we decided to head back to the Riad but ended up getting lost for two hours while searching for the hotel. What made it worse was the constant hassle from would-be tour guides who insisted on showing you the way (at extortiante cost, one guy wanted 5 Euros for walking us 100 yards!). This means that stopping to look at your map is a huge no-no in the souks as you'll soon have a crowd of four of five locals all claiming they will take you back to your hotel (although I'm pretty sure they have no idea where anything is either). After taking refuge in a restaurant we were able to find our way back after getting directions from the owner (who had to fend off a very irate tour guide who didn't recieve a tip for showing some guests to their destination). I'm all for experiencing other cultures but it was all a bit much after being in Morrocco for less than 24 hours.
The Riad on the other hand is a nice refuge away from the hustle and bustle of the souks. Our room was traditional (yes small but this is in the souks) yet comfortable and we were able to enjoy our breakfast (try the mint tea it is lovely) in the Riad's nice courtyard. The food included fresh bread and pancakes with honey washed down with mint tea so don't expect a fully stocked buffet but again we didn't mind as what we received was perfectly adequate.
The staff were very obliging and helpful and always greeted us with a smile so I would recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pantherfan99
Athens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

We had a great time, we actually felt like in a TIME MACHINE!!

I became Mohamed and my wife FATIMA....

Enjoyed it all, all thou a little overpriced!!!

Location is great, staff was helpfull!!!

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
bari
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2008

Great accomodation and great location in Mouassine area, especially if you want to immerge yourself in the spirit and the vibrant atmosphere of the 'medina' (the old city).
The riad itself is particularly beautiful, the rooms are confortable and with private services (some of them have WC and bathroom outside the room, but is not a big hassle).
Also, it is possible to have dinner (the harira, tipical moroccan soup, it's exquisite, I would say) by reserving it in advance.
You can also have breakfast in the internal patio, with wonderful blue sofas and mirrors on the wall... nice!
People working at the riad are very friendly and do all their best to help you and making you feel comfortable.
Clean and comfortable, very close to Jamaa el Fna and the souk area.
It also offer the pickup service from the airport.
Definitely recommended, if I ever go back to Marocco (that I liked a lot), I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank niccc
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2007

We were successfully met at the airport by a taxi sent by the riad. We arrived before our room was ready, but were offered tea and made comfortable. The room was lovely with an en-suite shower and washbasin, but the private WC was located on the floor below. However, this didn't pose any problems to us. There was a small private balcony as well as a huge and beautifully decorated roof terrace. This riad is very well located, about 5 minutes walk from Jma Al Fna. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good. We stayed in this riad for three nights and overall I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple