“don't eat the food!”

Ranked #371 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
stouffville
“don't eat the food!”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Rooms and hotel as expected for budget type hotel catering to groups . Food at buffets served at poisonous temps. Not anything was hot enough to prevent the food poisoning type illness that went thru our group. We were warned by our guide not to drink the juice..but that came one day too late .

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Direction G, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Farah Marrakech, responded to this review, 3 February 2017
Dear Guest,

First of all, we want to thank you for having chosen Hotel Farah Marrakech for your trip in Marrakech.
We are sorry to hear that your experience with us didn't meet your expectations and we would like to present our sincere apologies for the troubles you have met during your stay in the Hotel Farah Marrakech.
Be sure that all your remarks has been considered and the appropriate measures have been taken.

Sincerely yours.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

We spent there only one night but that was enough. not really a four star hotel but ok for Morocco. Rooms are tidy but loud, food was above average and of good quality. Bathroom clean bud needs some renovations.

• Stayed November 2013

London, England
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I actually visited this hotel back in June with my mother, sister and three year old niece but thought I'd still review it as it may prove useful for anybody thinking if staying here. So here is a list of positives and negatives:

Positives:

- Overall, fairly decent looking hotel upon arrival. Has a welcome lounge, and internet lounge (which is the best place to get free wifi as I could not access it in my room and was relaxing with good air-con), a small but clean pool area and a lovely garden (which was particular nice to walk around with my 3 year old niece).

- Check-in and out was easy and fairly quick

- Stayed in a bungalow, which was nice and gave easy access to the garden and pool area. It was nice to have your own contained space. The bungalows have two sleeping areas (a double bed upstairs and sofa beds downstairs), two bathrooms, two tv's and air con. Cleaners came everyday.

- The location of the hotel was so so. It seems that the more space there is in and round the hotel, the further away you are from the city center and main square. Therefore, it seems that most hotels end up being a 20-30 minute walk to the main square and 15 minutes to the New Town, where you can find shops and restaurants. But nevertheless, we found our way to the sites and the tourist hop on & off bus stops around the corner.

Negatives:

- Despite sending a message that we would be arriving to the hotel late, when trying to go to the restaurant for food (as we were half board), we were turned away, told they were closing and that we had to buy food if we wanted it, despite the fact that we had in essence already paid for dinner. Other hotels I have stayed at in the past at least put a packed snack away but not here. Was not impressed, especially as they did not feel anything in regards to at least giving my three year old nephew something to eat (and we could see the food right there!)

- The point above somewhat sums up the majority of the staff here who sometimes put a smile on their face sometimes but overall, were not really bothered. And this was the case when we complained about something concerning our room. We had to report the same thing 2-3 times before anything got done

- Bungalow: Although we certainly appreciated the bungalow in comparison to the standard rooms we viewed, there were three issues. The first is the amount of ants that are on the floor and this is what we complained to reception staff about so we could get some ant power put down. Now, yes, I accept we were situated in a garden so maybe this is bound to happen. But if staff know this happens, then they should at least make an attempt to put ant powder down so bungalows are not over-run with ants.

Secondly, the upstairs air-con was very poor, which again warranted a complaint to reception, who took their time in getting somebody to fix it. After it was fixed, it seemed to operate exactly the same so this was disappointing and not nice in the hot weather.

And finally, and most importantly, please be warned that the two downstairs sofa bed are as narrow as seem in pictures.....they do not open up and expand. So for me and my mum who are around 5'3, it would just about do. But if you were taller or bigger (especially for a man or teenager), you will probably find these sofa beds too small. Look up the pictures of the downstairs of the bungalow and understand that what you see (the sofas) is the sofa bed in width and length. I think this is definitely misleading to visitors here and unless you are travelling with children to sleep downstairs, you may have a problem.

- Also, unlike what the website says, there is no children's play area....just the gardens and the pool.

- Repetitive food for both breakfast and dinner (Eat out for more variety)

So overall, this hotel had its positives and negatives. I'm not sure if I would stay here again. The garden's are good if you just want to lounge and enjoy the greenery. And my niece did enjoy playing outside so that was a plus. And I did like the bungalow concept for families. But this is a very standard hotel with not much customer service so I would explore other places to stay.

Room Tip: Bungalows are good for families and can be better value that booking individual rooms. But be aware...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Virgo_V

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I only actually used this hotel for two nights, I took part in a trek across the Sahara an this was our before and after accommodation to sleep and shower.

We were able to check I on the first night about 1am, the room was tidy, clean and had a cute balcony. It was perfect for what we wanted, the bed was comfy and the shower powerful.

On the return after the trek we were checked into a different room this was also pleasant fully functioning.

The bar area is nice and not too expensive the only downside I really had was that the breakfast wasn't up to much, couldn't find any spoons and they run out of a few things :(

It is very close to the main market square which was fab, if I remember rightly the fare was 40 dirham. A lot of cheap bargains, It was a great night in the square definitely a must.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read your review, thank you for such a lovely feedback !

We are so happy we made it right for you and you had such a lovely stay with us. Thank you for feedback about our staff.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience with us on tripadvisor.fr !

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at Hotel Farah Marrakech.

London
Reviewed 20 October 2013

With the exception of the bar and perhaps the [cold] pool area, this hotel is really devoid of service. I was staying there with an admittedly large party. This party needed to check out all at the same time, but if there were extra staff available to help then I did not see them. They offer an inclusive buffet style half board, but more than any other place in Marrakech this seems to mean bread, bread and more bread, coffee is average and juice is watery.
That said, the bar was nice and the staff there, although run off their feet coped well.
The hotel is in the dull Hiverage area, but close enough to walk to the old town or some life (although it is really not much better there, only different).
There have to be other hotels to go to, pay a couple of extra dollars and do that.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the road. Pool area is OK.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Sincerely yours.

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This hotel was night 5 and 6 during an 8-day mini-bus tour and subsequent 6-days travelling Morocco alone. It was the best overall hotel during the tour but pales compared to the Riads in the Medina.

The hotel common areas are clean and presentable. The pool and grounds are well manicured.

Internet is randomly unreliable. They have routers spread across the building for an illusion of Wifi. One you connect to in the morning will probably not work by afternoon. It's like they have one modem and plug it into one router at a time. You can see clusters of guests wander with laptops to congregate in areas that work. Sometimes the bar... sometimes the lobby... sometimes no place at all.

We changed rooms 4-times upon arrival. The first smelled like a toilet. The second had a broken air conditioner. The third reeked of cigarettes. The fourth was acceptable as our standards fell.

The food was good but, I barely ate. I was into my 4th day of traveler's diarrhea. On that note, the toilet paper is terrible and my bum was rubbed raw.

The sour point for me was the porters. During check out, there were lines at all of the slow, tiny elevators. I opted to carry my 50-pound bag down 5 flights of stairs (which was not actually a hardship). The problem came when I entered the lobby and a porter forcibly grabbed my bag. At one point, we were both holding it as I tried to make clear I didn't want his help. He would not let go. He rolled my bag 10-feet to the bus (yes... it had wheels) and then lingered for a tip. He would even walk into my vision as I turned my back. Meanwhile, there are people who actually needed help with their bags. Completely unacceptable!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are a random mess. We changed four times because of toilet smell, cigarette smoke and a br...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Amstelveen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed in a bungalow, which was very spacious and had a nice view of the garden. The cleaning crew came daily to wield a mop and replace towels in both bathrooms.
The hotel is well situated, with large grounds that give you the idea of a 'country' stay whilst being in the city. Quite a few restaurants nearby, attractions in walking distance or a (cheap) short taxi ride away.
We had half board, breakfast buffet was so-so: limited choice, no variation. We tried dinner, but that was of poor quality. Twice we payed a supplement for dining in the Italian restaurant, whci was OK (i.e. you had some say in what you could eat and quality was better - not overstewed). We also swapped dinner for lunch a few times, for salad and a bread roll buffet was just OK. From what we heard from other people such buffets seem par for the course in Morocco though. So we just had a couple of meals elsewhere, which were much better.

Room Tip: No idea about the rooms in main hotel. Bungalows ( a duplex with separate sleeping area and 2 bathro...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple