Just back from a week in Marrakech. Before deciding on where to stay I spent hours reading reviews on Trip Advisor and other travel forums. We wanted a good quality hotel, with a swimming pool - preferably heated, in a good location, all for a reasonable price. Since we started planning quite late, our first picks were unfortunately full due to school holidays in Marocco. We decided on staying at the Golden Tulip Farah in a Bungalow with half board.
We arrived in the early afternoon and met a not very hospitable person in the reception and were assigned our bungalow. On arrival we were extremely disappointed. The walls and floors were very dirty and the cushions in the sofas and chairs were without covers. We asked for another bungalow and were given 115. This had a different layout from the original one - you had to climb an outside staircase. Inside there was a tiny kitchen with a fridge, a bathroom, a bedroom with a small sofa (large enough to accommodate a small child) and a sitting room with 2 sofas that converted to beds and a similar small sofa to the bedroom. The room was really quiet at night - and we heard more to the birds in the morning than the mosque. The beds were a little on the hard side, but we slept well. Some of the furniture and fittings needed repair - but no major problems.
Housekeeping was OK. Some days we were given enough towels - other days not so we needed to ask for more. Beds were made and changed, the floors were clean - but the walls needed a good cleaning - especially in the bathroom where the rain had at some time come in through an open window.
The gardens were beautiful and well kept. The pool was nice - unfortunately not heated - so we only had some quick dips.
Apart from check-in the first day, every one was very hospitable and service minded. We simply loved the pool man who organized chairs, mattresses and towels. We tipped him from the first day and had really wonderful service. The concierge was extremely helpful and organized a guide for us to see the souks and a tour to the Atlas mountains.
The location of the hotel was good. We walked everywhere. There were several good restaurants in the neighbourhood only 10 minutes away. Shopping was in the new town where we bought shoes and jackets. We just didn't want the hassle of all the bargaining in the souks. The location of our bungalow was also good. There was parking right outside, it was next to the tennis court and in the garden close to the pool. We also had the pleasure of having afternoon sun on our balcony.
We didn't try the fitness centre (only two exercise bicycles) - but our daughter did get a manicure which she was happy with.
And a few comments on the things about the hotel that were not so positive:
- The buffet gets a bit boring after a few days. It is basically the same every dinner and lunch. We were on half board. The good thing was that you could choose if you wanted lunch or dinner. A second positive thing was that you for a small fee could upgrade to one of the other restaurants.
- The was very little information about how the hotel functioned. You actually had to ask to find out. I was rather expecting a book in the room about the hotel since it was rated 4 stars.
- The safe for the bungalows are in the reception not in the rooms
- A pity that the small broken things in the apartment didn't get fixed (a lamp, a drawer, ventilation)
- No tourist information was available at the hotel. You can buy maps in one of the small shops in the lobby for 25 dhs - or get information for free at the tourist office.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Southall Travel, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Farah Marrakech reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Farah Marrakech Hotel Marrakech
- Golden Tulip Marrakech
- Hotel Farah
- Marrakech Golden Tulip