“Family visit to Marrakech”
Review of Riad El Sagaya

Riad El Sagaya
Ranked #248 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to Marrakech, we were a group of 8. We arrived on the first night there was a mix up with the rooms. This was sorted quickly and resolved. We enjoyed Marrakech, the hustle and bustle of the markets. Everyone was very friendly, however there was one person who made it a memorable holiday Yassine. Yassine works at the riad and is very approachable and made us feel at home, no job was too small for him. He used to bring us breakfast on the terrace and was very friendly. I must admit if Yassine was not at the riad, we would not have enjoyed it as much. This riad, s credit goes to the great customer experience from Yassine. As long as he works there, we will visit again. Thank you Yassine

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sadiq13

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We didn't know el sagaya before arriving there... But it was an amazing experience living there during our trip! The riad was cleaned and close to the Medina center. Breakfast is the real moroccon one and the roof offers relaxing and sunny moments!!!! A special thanks to Yassine who works there and helped us to have the useful information we needed. Yassine made special our holiday and he was nice and hospitable. El sagaya recommended!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Chiara E
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I've been with my wife in this Riad and I stayed here for three days.

First of all we decided to come here because of the Hammam and the position. When we arrived we asked to the Manager about the Hammam and the possibility to use it. The answer was very tough.

"Hammam doesn't work and if you want really it, you can have it outside at your cost or you can have shower in your bathroom!"

I was really upset of this answer, he was really unkind.

We planned to have a visit of some waterfalls around Marrakesh and we planned to leave the Riad at 8 in the morning. We asked to the Manager the possibility to have the breakfast a 7.30.
Manager again was really unkind and he said that it was not possible to have the breakfast at that time

The room was really stinky of sewer and also the hot water was missing.

the location is not that bad but again the Manager and the cleanless of the room were really really poor.

This was the first Riad I was during my tour and honestly I was told a lot about Maroc Treatment and welcome.... bad bad experience with Riad El Sagaya....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emmanuele D
Reviewed 1 December 2013

As with all the accommodation I book on holiday, I always check out reviews on Trip Advisor first. I had narrowed it down to the El Sagaya and another, I made the right choice.
Admittedly its a little difficult to locate at first as it's a good 10-15 walk away from the main square, but it's well worth the effort, besides, it's ideally situated for other attractions.

Once inside, I was greeted by the manager, Youssef, a very polite, kind and warm man and host. Initially we were booked into the wrong room, but we were booked into ( in most opinions) a superior slightly bigger and more private room on the first floor.

Breakfast was included in the price and although fairly basic, it was lovely and plentiful. The dining area/main lobby was an oasis of calm and tranquility. The room was spotlessly clean and even though the water had stopped working once I had arrived, it was back on in a few hours and piping hot (this was NOT a hotel problem, the whole street had lost water too).

The bed was extremely comfortable and the chill area just compact enough to lounge around, read etc. One of the highlights though was possibly the main reason we decided on this riad.......the fantastic roof terrace. A huge open area of sunbeds, settees, cushions and basically lots of room to just do nothing but catch the sun or smoke shisha ( did both ).

Spotless, friendly, fairly well situated, great staff, chilled atmosphere and competitively priced, what more could you possibly want :-)
I'm ashamed to say that I didn't get to learn the names of all the staff, but I thank each and every one of you for making our 4 night stay a memorable experience.

Room Tip: If a couple, room 4, which I think is the Aladdin room is the one to go for.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hoppy22
Reviewed 1 December 2013

You arrive in a busy noisy street but find when you step into the Riad calm and charming place. Yassine speaks good English and is a great character who is so helpful and makes sure that you are having a good time. My daughter and I had a great short break.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Lizandmiranda
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Had a brilliant time at the riad, beautiful and peaceful. Lovely staff, very helpful, breakfast is great. Make sure you meet Yassine, true legend. Very Clean with a wonderful rooftop. Definitely stay here when you come to Marrakech! We truly recommend!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Once inside, this is an oasis with plants, a fountain, clean spacious baths. The design is authentic, lovingly furnished. The staff is very helpful and the food is plenty + well prepared. It is best to get there from the city gate where the street is not covered (a very short 3-min walk).

If you come from the opposite side, via the Medina, you have to make your way through suffocating + deafening moped exhaust that drives tears to your eyes. In other parts of the Medina, the streets are shaded by reeds. Here it is mostly corrugated metal, trapping the fumes + noises (much worse for the market people who have to endure this daily).

I hope the Riad owners in the neighborhood find a way to limit the traffic or increase ventilation. (In Meknes or Fez there is no motorized traffic in the inner Medina.)

And to end on a romantic note, enjoy the cry of roosters from one of the lounge chairs on the beautiful roof terrace.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends