“Wonderful stay”
Review of Riad Dar Anika

Riad Dar Anika
Ranked #11 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Five of us stayed here as part of a 50th birthday celebration and the staff could not have been more helpful.
Our transport was waiting when we arrived and we were swiftly transferred to the Riad. As with most Riads behind the door there is a sense of peace and tranquility.
We were given cleansing towels, milk and dates and refreshing mint tea and biscuits while the sights and places to visit were explained to us along with suggestions of where to eat and where not too!
All our rooms were lovely, decorated with rose petals and supplied with bottled water, fruit bowl and more Moroccan biscuits. Room 2 is really special with an open fireplace and beautiful cupola above the bed with small round skylights to let the moonlight in. Definitely the room to have.
There is a lovely plunge pool on the ground floor with the small lounge area. A roof terrace for drinks, meals and sunbathing.
Breakfast was typically Moroccan with so much food. Fruit salad and yogurt, fresh juice, cake, pastries, crepes, soup and eggs of your choice. Tea and coffee. Tea and coffee are available all day free of charge and pastries are available in the afternoon.
We had a celebratory dinner in the Riad, served downstairs by the pool and I can only describe it as a banquet. Everything was traditional Moroccan including a selection of tagines, salads, vegetables and breads. This was followed by a surprise birthday cake. An absolutely wonderful meal and great atmosphere.
All the staff were very nice and nothing was too much trouble. They arranged taxis to other restaurants, an excellent Hamman at the nearby Golf Hotel and advised us to fill in immigration cards before leaving for the airport to save the hassle once there.
All in all an excellent experience and would recommend it as a great place to stay in Marrakech where it is located very close to the main square and souks.

Room Tip: Room No.2 is wonderful
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lorraine B
There are newer reviews for Riad Dar Anika

Reviewed 26 February 2014

What a great small Riad, The patron's Nigel & Diana were great host's, the food was fantastic, the position in Marrakech was great and easy walking from the main square.
The roof terrace was great to sit in and have a end of day sundowner!
Just a great week, with Great people and good food.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chawkes2016
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We looked at so many options when trying to find our accommodation- as a small group of girls travelling as friends, our priorities were somewhere that felt safe, clean and comfortable.

We just arrived home from a few days at Dar Anika and want to go back now!

Samir and his staff team work hard to ensure guests feel welcome, happy and relaxed.

From the moment we arrived they made sure we felt right at home and had everything we needed. One of our group had forgotten a toothbrush and asked about the nearest shop to go & buy a new one. Samir told us just to relax and before we had even unpacked Samir had gone & got a new brush and toothpaste!

We were particularly happy with the location. The medina is crazy, intense & at times overwhelming so being able to come into the calmness of the riad and relax with tea & cake straight away was a welcome retreat. The cakes were different & tasty each day, so even without the excuse of being frazzled & harassed, tea and cake became our happy afternoon ritual.

Being able to walk safely on a well lit & populated street also helped us feel confident & independent with getting to & from the night markets. We noticed other accommodation options nearby were often down dark, slightly dodgy looking alley ways. So I feel like we made the best choice for us. If ever we felt unsure about venturing out somewhere new, a staff member would offer to show us the way or book a trusted taxi driver. This was really appreciated.

The staff arranged a hammam for us, booking a driver to take us to & from, at a very reasonable price. I recommend this experience after a busy day of walking.

The food at the riad is delicious, as ardent foodies we are pretty fussy and I can safely say the breakfasts were a highlight of our day. SO MUCH FOOD! Freshly baked Moroccan style breads, traditional soups. Fresh fruit & juices. All tasty. We also had the set menu and tried camel for the first time, I recommend trying this, it was actually quite good.

I will definitely chose this riad again & recommend it to anyone I know going to Marrakech.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank L H
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We have just returned from an incredible stay at Riad Dar Anika. If you want a real Marrakech experience with fantastic service then you should definitely stay here too.

Prior to arrival we arranged our airport transfers via email with Riad Dar Anika (complimentary if you book a suite) which I would highly recommend as you are dropped off at the nearest point a car can go (no cars on most streets in the Medina) and met by a member of staff to take you a few metres to the riad.

When we arrived were given cool towels, rose water for our hands and a rose. Then we were served glasses of milk with dates followed by traditional mint tea with pastries while our bags were taken to our room. We were given a map and talked about what we would like to see in Marrakech with the owner. Anything was possible to arrange through the riad.

We stayed in room 1 which is one of the 2 suites in the riad and it was a gorgeous room. The staff had scattered rose petals everywhere and there were lots of thoughtful touches like fresh fruit, pastries, bottled water and fresh flowers. The bathroom was complete with little jars of toiletries, towel dressing gowns and more flowers. It is a really beautiful room with stained glass windows and 4 poster bed, all designed in traditional style. This room is away from the street and even though we didn’t use the specially designed sound proofing cushions for the windows (we chose to leave these in the cupboards) we slept really well and weren’t disturbed at all.

The highlight of our stay was the dinner we had on our first night. A table had been set for us downstairs by the pool but we really wanted to eat upstairs on the outside terrace. So we were given complimentary drinks as the staff quickly set a table for us in a traditional tent on the terrace. It really was the most romantic setting. The riad had emailed the menu for a 3 course set meal and we had chosen starters and main courses but didn’t expect the feast that we were served. I don’t want to spoil the surprise for anyone, but this would be my biggest and number 1 recommendation in Marrakech because the food, setting and service was simply stunning. We highly recommend the Special dish of Dar Anika which was a delicious camel and prune tagine. This incredible meal only cost £35 each excluding drinks and it was a true taste of Marrakech with real home cooked food.

We also booked a private hammam which I would highly recommend (about £30 each) which was well worth it. The whole experience lasted just over an hour and our skin felt amazing after all the scrubs, oils and natural local products. Afterwards we sat in the lounge in front of a real fire and were served a fresh beetroot juice then a mint tea. It was my partners birthday and the staff chose this opportunity to bring him a homemade birthday cake, flowers and sing happy birthday (in 4 different languages!!) which was really thoughtful and totally unexpected.

Complimentary tea and cake is served every afternoon but we preferred to sit on the top terrace with a few beers, nuts and olives, watching the streets below as the sun set with CousCous, the resident tortoise.

Breakfast was a real treat and it was served whenever and wherever you wanted it. It was so fresh and the warm breads, pancakes, fruits and yoghurt and strong coffee set us up for the day, we didn’t eat lunch as breakfast was so filling.

The riad is really beautiful. It is well maintained and a real Morrocan experience but it’s the staff and the service which make it stand above and beyond the rest. Every member of staff we met was warm, genuine and friendly, we felt like we were treated like royalty. The riad is a total oasis of calm in such a chaotic city. Marrakech is a must see city and a stay at Dar Anika will ensure you make the most of it.

I feel like this review is a little long but I really want to express what an amazing place this is and how wonderful the staff are. I don’t normally go back to the same city twice as I think there are so many places to visit but we both agreed that we would go back to Riad Dar Anika again and we would definitely book for longer than 2 nights as they made it such a special trip.

Room Tip: Room 1 was beautiful and had a lovely bathroom. It is also away from the street so we weren't di...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DMonster18
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Our stay in this Riad during February Half Term has prompted me to post my first ever review on a hotel, as we had the most wonderful time here. From the moment that we walked through the doors from the mayhem of the street into this peaceful haven we were made to feel so welcome; this Riad is a delight. The service from every member of staff was outstanding - absolutely faultless. There were so many lovely touches that made the service personal including cake, flowers and all the staff gathering to sing happy birthday in 3 different languages on my husband's birthday! Their aim is to help you get the most from your holiday and have a trouble free Marrakesh experience whilst delivering outstanding service. They really do think of everything and we loved it. I would not hesitate to recommend to family and friends and is definitely to be revisited by us!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2 which was large with a feature domed ceiling and fireplace. Lovely!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Claki
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I have stayed and visited some of the top luxury Riads / Hotels in Marrackech, though I choose Riad dar Anika for my last trip and i"m so pleased I did. The staff were simply fantastic and I felt 100% looked after from the moment I checked in until I left. Samir and his staff are ready to cater to your every need and plan a complete experience including spa and excursions.

I contacted the Riad prior to booking to discuss my plans and was put completely at ease that they could provide everything I was looking for. It lived up to my every expectation. I highly recommend reaching out prior to booking if you are considering where to stay.

The Riad and the rooms are extremely comfortable and charming, a beautiful respite from the busy streets of Marrakech. Bathrooms and products are great - only wish I had brought some of the shampoo home with me. The food was amazing and after dinner at some finer establishments in the city, I can say I was happy to have dinner at the Riad several times on this trip.

Thank you to the amazing staff for an exceptional stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank lotuslight73
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Before we even arrived Dar Anika had regular email contact giving us advice on services they provided and things we could do once in Marrakech. We booked transport from the airport, hamman, massage, a guided tour of the city and a traditional Moroccan dinner for the night of our arrival even before getting there.

The pick up from the airport was seamless and we were glad that we had a driver that knew where to take us as the door to Dar Anika could be missed if you did not know where it was! Once you enter you are greeted by a beautiful tranquil oasis which is in stark contrast to the crazy hustle bustle of the Marrakech streets!

On our arrival we were taken to sit in a lovely lounge with a live fire and given fresh mint tea, milk, pastries and dates to refresh ourselves. Once we were settled the manager Samir came to sit with us and he gave us a map of the city and marked different places we should see such as the palaces, souks and gardens and he also showed us where to go for lunch and dinners. He even offered us a free room upgrade, but because our room had been so beautifully decorated with rose petals I didn’t want to move!

The dinner at Dar Anika is delicious, but you need to make sure you have not eaten too much at lunch time as you receive a feast! The complimentary breakfast is also fantastic as you receive loads of dishes such as yoghurt, fresh fruit salad, pancakes, cake, warm bread, SOUP!!, and any type of eggs you care to name!

The guided tour of the city is a must as it helps you to get your bearings and allows you to see parts of the city you may miss if you were just to walk around on your own.

In the evenings Dar Anika were so fantastic and allowed us to use the lounge as our own personal place and we watched films on the TV by the fire with a bottle of wine on a couple of occasions. One night we went to Comptoire, (a restaurant with belly dancing) that Samir has recommended and that was really fantastic. Another MUST SEE is the Circus. You are able to hold baby lions and the circus acts are astounding! It is great great value for money!

We were unfortunate with the weather as it was quite cold and rainy on a couple of days, but on those days Dar Anika arranged for a lady to come to the Riad to provide Hamman for us both, then separate ladies to come in and do traditional Moroccan massages and Samir even organised free of charge for a lady to come in a do henna for me.

The Wi-Fi has a good connection and my partner was able to deal with work emails quickly and efficiently.

The staff at Dar Anika cannot do enough for you. We had great banter with our waiters and on the day it was sunny we were able to eat breakfast on the roof under a beautiful tent.
Overall I would thoroughly recommend Dar Anika for couples looking for a romantic getaway. Due to the fact that there are only 12 rooms the service is so personal and Dar Anika will bend over backwards to make your stay a special one. On our last day we were even given complimentary glasses of wine whilst we waited for our taxi to take us to the airport and then we were given a delicious packed lunch to take to the airport!!! I would most definitely go back and would recommend Dar Anika to my friends.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple