“This place is just wonderful!”
Review of Riad Jomana

Riad Jomana
Ranked #259 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I was met by a taxi at the airport which was arranged by the staff at the Riad Jomana ( they send a helpful email to ask if you would like this service before you travel- i suggest you do as it makes it a more relaxed arrival in this busy city and its cheap- 10 euro) . A really friendly smiley woman greeted me at the square and walked me through the maze of alley ways to the riad. I was given a very warm welcome and given mint tea and I had pre booked an evening meal which was served to me on the lovely roof terrace.
Throughout my stay I was always greeted with a smile and nothing was too much trouble ( and I was always asking stuff about what to, do where to go and how does this work etc) The staff here are what makes the stay so worthwhile but the riad itself is beautiful and the rooms are really clean and very comfortable as well as excellent value.
After a tiring day of dodging hasslers grabbing you to come into their shop, the heat and smells of this crazy city the Riad Jomana is a little oasis of calm and peace!
YOU HAVE TO COME HERE!

Room Tip: all the rooms are delightful
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Christopher N

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Thank you Riad Jomana for a lovely stay :) It was so nice to come back to this peaceful riad after the outside craziness of Marrakesh!
The riad is lovely - we were the only guests on our first stay so we had our pick of the rooms and chose a big beautiful traditional styled room. But it was the lovely girl and cook working there which made us come back for our second stay :) They were so kind and hospitable, even though we could hardly understand each other! One night we asked if they would cook for us, and the cook made us the most beautiful 3 course meal, and the tagine in particular was so delicious! We thoroughly enjoyed that dinner - sitting out in the courtyard with fairy lights and no one around :)
Wifi was down on our first stay so we went to a great little cafe on the corner of our street (called Cafe Henna) and had a meal or coffees there and used their wifi. But the riad's wifi was up and running a week later on our return.
The location is great - the medina is wonderful to wander around, and if you want to go to Djamaa El Fna it's about a 10 minute walk.
Just remember this isn't a 5 star international hotel - so don't expect the luxuries of a hotel. It's a calm and beautiful riad. The rooms are basic but comfortable and so beautifully decorated.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I stayed at Riad Jomana in October 2011 with other 6 friends (we're all between 25-30 years old): three of them stayed in the charming Asma room, my fiancee and I stayed in the cool Sakina room and the other 2 girls got to stay in the Fatima room. We all had a wonderful experience. The whole riad and the rooms were clean, the towels were SPOTLESS, the ensuite bathrooms were neat and tidy and the common bathroom the girls in the Fatima room had to use was equally clean.
The breakfast was HOMEMADE and fresh every day: Maroccan crepes, French crepes, cakes, at least 2 good quality jams, orange juice and the amazing cinnamon flavoured coffee.

Even though we were a relatively large (and sometimes noisy) group, the owners (2 charming French men) were always extremely GRACIOUS with all of us and HELPED us a lot in finding map directions, cool spots to visit, typical spa places and where to eat (hey, they're French, they KNOW :D ) . They also arranged taxi rides to and from the airport (if you have ever searched for a taxi on your own in Morocco -and argued with the driver for the price-, you KNOW how this can be a relief)

If you want, you can ask to have dinner at the Riad: we did it twice and we loved it. The cook is a Maroccan woman and the food was always fresh, TASTY and typical Maroccan (Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons and Olives, Maroccan shalada, etc)

I highly recommed this riad and I wish I wrote this review sooner! Riad Jomana proved to be a peaceful refuge after a day in Marrakech.

Note about mosques: It's an Islamic country so during the night you can hear the calling from the mosques (there are a lot of mosques) in the town center so DEAL WITH IT: you will not find a single riad or hotel where to avoid it. If you are a real traveller you will embrace it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrsEverdene
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We had a lovely time in morocco especially because of our lovely host at riad jomona, Ibraham who was fantastic!!! He was so kind and helpful and went out of his way to help us!

The riad was situated very close to the souks and while there is no swimming pool on site the staff are able to direct you to a beautiful private pool nearby.

There is also a lovely roof terrace and cool patio so it really caters for those who are wishing to escape the heat of the day.

Room Tip: Chose the biggest room! First one
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I flew into Marrakech and stayed at Riad Jomana for one night before leaving the next morning for an excursion. The staff was friendly and responsive when i was emailing with them about arranging a shuttle from the airport to the Riad. Honestly, i don't think that I would have been able to find this location on my own as it's a bit far from the square and souks.

The room was clean and decent. The door to the rooms could probably use a little bit of updating as mine didn't properly lock and anyone could probably have opened it despite me leaving the key in the lock. Not sure if I would stay here again just because I wanted to be near the square, but this is a good location for those that want to get away from the craziness of the city.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We had booked to stay in room asma (the cheapest room) but we were put in suite fatima instead (the most expensive) because there was only one other room taken! riad romana is a wonderfully traditional raid in a great location!

The room we stayed in was wonderful, it had 3 double beds & high ceilings with fabulous toilet and shower rooms cut into the wall. The roof terrace was also great and a plus that they serve beer, which is hard to find out there.
Marco & Piero were both extremely helpful & friendly as were the other staff & having breakfast in the courtyard in the morning was lovely!

One point to make it taxis can't stop outside as the streets are too narrow so if you have a lot of luggage then make sure you agree your price with a barrow boy before they help you, we had an argument with our one who wanted to charge us more than it cost to get from the airport in a taxi!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Lu123
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Taxi arranged with Riad Jomana arrived promptly and took us into the city.
We were then greeted by a teenage boy who showed us through the winding streets of the Medina to the Riad. He promptly showed us to our room.
The room was pretty traditional, what you would expect from a Riad. The beds were very hard and uncomfortable. I didn't sleep a wink for much of the stay. Also, it was far too hot and the air conditioning was ineffective (although free of charge). The bathrooms were poorly ventilated and turned into steam rooms. The water dripped all the way down the stairs. Then again, I guess you expect this basic standard of accommodation for what we paid in North Africa.
The staff on duty tended to be a sequence of older teenage boys who were always very attentive and accommodating. In the mornings we were served a lovey breakfast by the Riad's owners. This place is particularly 'gay friendly' I noticed so that would be a bonus for some travellers.

The wireless Internet connection is only available is one part of the courtyard and is pretty weak.

I have to say that I absolutely hated Marrakech - it's dirty, polluted and uncomfortable. The inhabitants are a nuisance. You can't anyone for directions without being asked to pay. The main square is interesting for five minutes but doesn't feel particularly safe at all. Although I love Morrocan food, I sadly didn't sample much of it because I just felt to uncomfortable all the time. The roads are treacherous and the taxi drivers drive like maniacs. I was so happy to get home. Nonetheless, this is my opinion of Marrakech and no reflection of Riad Jomana. I'm sure an enormous number of people love the place and return year after year. Just not my cup of tea.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends