“Right in the heart of things”
Review of Riad O2

Riad O2
Ranked #212 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
County Cork, IRELAND
“Right in the heart of things”
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Riad 02 is located right in the heart of the Marrakech medina, or old neighbourhood. This meant I only had to step outside and walk a few paces to find myself in the centre of the hustle & bustle, colour and chaos that is Marrakech - it also meant, the haven that is Riad 02 was only minutes away, when I'd done and seen enough and needed a rest.
Riad 02 staff are local people - friendly, helpful.
The food, prepared by Rashida is authentic and delicious - fresh squeezed orange juice and galettes (buttery pancakes) at breakfast time, moist, tender tajin (earthenware cooking dish with pointed lid) dishes in the evening.
I appreciated the attention to detail of all the furniture and fittings in Riad 02, fabulous lights, bedspreads, wall hangings and other carefully chosen artifacts all around - as an artist, it was a joy to be surrounded by such craftsmanship.
I enjoyed meeting other guests from all over the world there.
It wasn't quite warm enough to use the roof top terrace, during my stay - except to take breakfast there a couple of times - but its a great space to relax and soak up some sun when its warm.
I hope to return in May.
Rosita Kingston

Stayed February 2009
2 Thank 67Rosita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Midlands, UK
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I would recommend arriving at this Riad in daylight hours, as it takes some locating. They could do with a couple of signs up to point the way...
Having said that, it is a beautiful Riad, and incredibly peaceful once inside. The decor is simple yet tasteful and traditional Arabic. It all adds up to a very relaxing atmosphere. The service is very friendly, they are only too keen to offer some assistance or advice on where to go/what to do. Just make sure you can remember the way there and back!

• Liked — Serenity and service
  • Disliked — Finding the place
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank itsfoisinnit
USA CHICAGO
Reviewed 10 February 2009

Unfortunately I wrote a long drawn out review the other day, but Trip advisor never processed it all the way through. Fortunately for you - the reader - I will summarize.

The Riad is a very elegant and traditional in nature. Clean, crisp walls with arches throughout give a true sense of being in Morocco.

In the mornings we were spoiled with a carefully laid out breakfast made up of fresh butter, preserves, hand squeezed orange juice, coffee, fresh baked bread, honey, and coffee. All of which was beautifully presented in small tagine pots and ate on the roof top overlooking life of the old medina. One thing I must add, is that no matter when we got up, Rashida, Cherif, or Moad always made sure that we had breakfast - there was no rushed or regimented feeling whatsoever, we were truly on vacation.

The Riad is situated about 10+ minutes from the Jma al Fna square - which is perfect because it allowed us to roam the small side streets and find things that others might not have been lucky enough to see.

After long days of exploring we would enjoy the guiltless pleasures of soaking in the solar heated indoor hot tub.

We stayed in 2 rooms, the only one whose name I remember was the egg room. They were both beautiful but the Egg room's bathtub was the icing on the cake - I've never seen the material this was made of, but it felt like a hybrid of "marbleized" mud and a dash of copper.

Both rooms were furnished with authentic items, Ikea was nowhere to be seen (thank god :-). and every day, we came back to a fresh, clean and crisp room.

Besides regularly surpassing standards of other upper end hotel (through constant attention to detail), the team of people who worked in the Riad were the most memorable.

Throughout our 11 day stay, not once did we have the feeling that this was a business transaction. At all times we felt like we were being welcomed into the home of family.

Rashida was always there to make sure our breakfast was beautiful and our rooms were comfortable. Kind of like the "mama".

Cherif, besides him regular work at the Riad, was the one who showed not only how to get somewhere, but how to look like we weren't complete tourists - he taught us one of the most important lessons ALWAYS STAY ON THE LEFT while walking down the street (probably saved our lives). He could be seen as a brother of the family.

And last, but definitely not least, Moad... He was great. On top of making sure EVERYTHING at the Riad ran as it should for EVERY GUEST, he didn't just do his job and give us all the same standard treatment - he tailored his approach to each and every one of us differently. This, in my opinion, is a demonstration of his sincere interest in our happiness and his ability to see into peoples' hearts. If we were all a family, he would be the wise eldest brother.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Riad O2 and most importantly it's staff. I read a few of the angry reviews posted - although I didn't witness what they described, I highly doubt any of the bad things they said about the good people who run the Riad O2.

It is easier to find bad things to say rather than good things, I think they're just lazy people.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to write me.

Gaston

We were welcomed with open arms by Moad (the manager) and the entire staff.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank gastonsitbon
London
Reviewed 9 January 2009

Agree with everything said previously. The Riad is beautiful and peaceful. We stayed, 2 adults and daughter 12 years old, in Ouef Suite, for one night after a week in Essaouira. Location is the only problem with the Riad. I would recommend getting collected by one of the staff near the Sidi Ben Slimane Mosque. We were dropped off outside Medina near Babs Doukala and the walk from there is further and through some 'uncomfortable' lanes to the Riad. I would not recommend it as a place to stay for females only because of the location. My wife and daughter both acknowledged they would not have left the Riad after dark if I was not with them. I'm 1.9m 110 kgs. We were too late to have dinner in the Riad and girls were reluctant to walk outside. Haziz was the saviour. Riad cab driver. Arrived whilst we were sitting in the courtyard contemplating what to do for food and he immediately sorted it out for us and walked us out showing us the quick route. Also said a cab to the Souk would be maximum 20 dirhams.

• Liked — Rooms and Ambience
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank PANISAM
Amsterdam
Reviewed 27 December 2008

I stayed in the Sable room and I liked it. The room was very clean. And it has this Eivissa kind of feeling to it.

The riad is only 3 minutes away from the mosque in the Sidi Ben Slimane. It is easy to take a taxi from there to take you to other areas in Marrakech.
The hotel offered me a detailed discription of how to get there. And I could find the Riad easily. But you need this discription, otherwise you will have to ask people in the neighbourhood to take you there. It is impossible to find it on your own.

The people who work there are very kind. They speak no English or very little, but I could speak a little French and so we could communicate.

If you order tea, they do not charge you and I had the best tea there. I had dinner the first night, a starter (soup and a salad), main course (tagine with a big plate of Moroccan pasta and some bread) and dessert. And the food was really tasty.

I could not check my email (gmail and Yahoo). I have a Apple (Macbook) and Safari could not make the connection.
That was a pity. But I could visit other websites.

It is indeed a very quiet place, I slept very well.

Another thing. The roof of this Riad is covered with somekind of plastic top. So when it rains, the courtyard will not get wet.

And yes, I will go back next when I visit Marrakech.

Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Düsseldorf
Reviewed 17 December 2008

The Riad is located in the middle of the "Ben Slimane" quarter of the Medina and upon arrival you can dive into the charme of old-style Marrakesch.

After a few turns through narrow alleys, you will arrive at a beautifully restored Riad with a large and bright courtyard. Every little detail is take care of with minimalistic elegance combined with traditional Marrocan style.

The staff is very friendly and always eager to be of help and to make sure that everthing suits you. The rooms are nicely designed, clean and come with warm water showers.

For sure a memorable experience for a stay in Marrakesch!

• Liked — Cleaniness, Food, Service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 11 December 2008

The accommodation was great. A wonderful contrast to the small and dark alley out the front!

Relaxed and unobtructive service and great location. The home cooked food was yummy. I will certainly be recommending Riad 02 to friends.

Stayed November 2008