Palais Sebban
Ranked #71 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We did a lot of research on Morocco before comitting us to a trip and knew I wanted to stay in a Riad. We booked with Cadogan who were excellent and arranged for us to be collected at the Airport and walk us to the Palais Sebban, once in the medina.
At first, like others we were a little concerned and were led down a narrow alley way to be confronted by a heavy studded door. It felt as though we were walking in to someones house but once inside, we were greeted by cool air and a spicy smell of incense. The staff were very welcoming and made us peppermint tea.
The Palais Sebban is utterly beautiful - a real haven like no other. The pictures do it no justice. It really does blow your mind.
There is a small plunge pool in the centre of the court yard, and tables and chairs inside of the tall walls with exotic flowers everywhere you look. The restaurant looks over the pool but we chose to eat under the stars.
The food was excellent - very traditional with superb staff who were more than attentive. Breakfast was our favourite meal here, with a huge selection.
The Palais Sebban is a 10 minute walk from the main square - we spent most of our first day lost in the Souks but that's all part of the experience. Turn left when you leave the hotel to take you to the square - we turned right and were completely lost for hours.
From the roof terrace there is a wonderful view of the city so we spent a lot of time taking photographs etc.
We stayed in a standard room which was rather noisy but this can be forgiven for the sheer beauty of the place.
We are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TillymintG

Reviewed 22 September 2011

I booked this hotel as the second part of my honeymoon in Morocco and having seen the reviews on trip advisor I was really looking forward to my stay. Unfortunately my expectations were not met.

Before we set off on our honeymoon I contacted the hotel through their website, asking if I could arrange a transfer with them as we were coming from Essaouria however they never responded, then on arrival, while being harassed by two boys demanding more money off us for ‘showing us the way’ I was told by the gentleman who met us at the door that we should have got in touch with them to sort the journey. I mentioned that I had but I never got a response and didn’t even get so much of an apology from him.

I will say that Palais Sebban was certainly very tranquil in contrast to the busy streets of the medina they have also done a very good job at making the roof terrace a pleasant place to sit having looked around from the terrace we certainly couldn’t see any adjacent riads with anything similar.

When we booked the hotel we paid for what we were told was a deluxe room, but what we were shown to was a very dark small bedroom with small shower room. The bed was also twin beds kept together by a sheet, which meant if we wanted to lie next to each other one of us had to endure the uncomfortable crack. We also had a problem with our air conditioning which in the end meant we couldn’t put it on for more than a couple of minutes without lots of water pouring out all over the floor, luckily when we mentioned this to reception they were kind enough to move us.
The room we moved to was much better, lighter and with a double bed, however I would still not call it deluxe certainly not compared to some of the other rooms we managed to have a peak into and might I add were empty, also I must mention that in this bedroom the bathroom door was not a solid door. So anyone in the room could see quite clearly into the bathroom even with it closed.

I must mention that the housekeeping staff certainly do an outstanding job, each day the sheets and towels were changed with any clothes that may have been left out being folded away or even refolded neater, It did make me feel a little guilty at times.

Breakfast was good doing freshly cooked omelettes, crepes, along with a buffet of bread cold meats and fruit as well as freshly squeezed orange juice. The two waiters were certainly very pleasant especially the gentleman with the glasses (he never told us his name), who went out of his way to attend to our needs.

On check out we were charged for a bottle of water we never had, I can only assume that house keeping got confused as we had been keeping our own water in the fridges

Overall it is a nice place but unfortunately it was not that something special that I had hoped for our honeymoon.

Room Tip: ask for a room around the pool or adjacent court yard they seemed to have bigger windows and would h...
1  Thank PMHP
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This place is stunning. I travel all over the world and have been lucky enough to stay at some of the best and this place rivals all of them. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The room was like something out of a fairly tale. The walls were all hand carved stone and the rest of the room was full of beautiful appointments. Wonderful location, short walk to the main square.

1  Thank oinkerColorado
Reviewed 9 September 2011

It was a wonderful experience.Everyone from the housekeepers to the owners were welcoming,friendly and helpful.The really went over and above expectations.The Riad itself is stunning, beautifully restored and updated.Great location 5 min walk to square and a paradise inside the crazyness of Marrakesh. The pool is fab and I would recommend the hammam and massage. The food is also great (try the beef tanjine).We also met two waiters (one who worked in morning and one in afternoon/evening) who MADE our holiday go from great to unforgetable.They were absolutely terrific and I really hope to see them again.Also the clientle were all lovely we met some very nice people in the riad.They really went out of thier way to make our holiday superb something they achieved many times over.

Room Tip: Try and get a suite near the front so you can look out at the beauty of the courtyard.
Reviewed 31 August 2011

My girlfriend and I have just returned from 5 nights stay at the Palais Sebban, and have nothing but praise for the staff and this jewel of a hotel.
The hotel’s surrounding area is not the most salubrious, and previous reviewers have noted the zig- zag alleyways that have to be navigated before your reach the circumspect entrance door.
But as also noted before, once through this door you are greeted by stunning Moroccan architecture, a blend of African and Islamic designs that if you are like us, pictures of which will take up notable space on your camera’s memory card.
We were upgraded to a suite by the hospitable and attentive staff on arrival, which was an unexpected welcome surprise.
This hotel really looks its best at night; with the backlit pool and mature landscaping offering an enchanted environment to relax eat, and drink.
If you are deciding your spot by the small pool, I suggest you choose the west garden side, where you could possibility be visited by the resident hotel tortoise, which my girlfriend saw fit to name Simon.
Our suite was spotlessly clean, and fully air-conditioned. The food was more expensive than outside restaurants, but it was to a significantly higher standard than we experience when dining elsewhere, so well worth the extra expenditure.
In summary a prodigious establishment, fully deserving of all the positive reviews it has received on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We really couldn't have asked for any more from the staff at Palias Sebban. I was travelling with my Mother who had planned a surprise trip to Morocco for my 21st birthday, this place was our first stop and after a walk down the winding alleys of Marrakech and after entering an unassuming door the sight was just absolutley stunning. The service was also brilliant. All in all this was an amazing place to stay for our 2 nights in Marrakech and I would have loved to have stayed for more!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Hannah E
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We have just returned from a week’s stay at the Palais Sebban and cannot speak highly enough of this spectacular riad and the fantastic staff who made our 25th Anniversary stay so very special.
It was our first visit to Morocco and in common with all the guests we spoke with on holiday – you couldn't choose a better place to stay!

The contrast of the hot winding dusty alley, as you pass through the heavy wooden door into the riad itself, is breathtaking. The Palais Sebban is indeed a magical palace and even the virtual tour on the riad’s website cannot do justice to the stunning architecture, the fabulous mosaic floors, fantastic furniture as well as the effort that has gone into making every corner a picture in itself, and creating a haven of peace and traquility complete with the beautiful smell of jasmine.
We arrived before our check in time, and were warmly greeted by the lovely manageress who settled us with a freshly squeezed orange juice and little biscuits on the patio while our room was checked. We were kindly upgraded to the Erfoud Suite to celebrate our anniversary – this suite was absolutely amazing!

Overlooking the pool area it consisted of a large bedroom with seating, an enormous bathroom with a sunken stone bath and a huge stone shower. There was also a separate lounge area that looked out onto the inner courtyard.Absolute luxury! I had a peek at some of the other rooms and to be honest they were all absolutely beautiful no matter what size – so individual and tastefully decorated.
On our actual anniversary we were amazed on entering our suite as the maid had arranged tiny rose petals in a large heart on the bed linen as well as on the table and bedside tables too. Fresh roses were on the table in our lounge area and the chef made us a special dessert for us that evening (see picture) – they went to such effort to make it such a special day!

It is the attention to detail that makes this riad so special and that is not just the breakfast tables that are scattered with rose petals,and the freshly made crepes and omlettes; there is genuine interest and pride from all of the staff .
We chose to eat most evenings at the riad –well the food was perfection, and what could better sitting at a beautifully set table with attentive staff, in possibly the prettiest courtyard in the world – surrounded by flowers and foliage - all lit so beautifully.
The Palais Sebban is the perfect escape no matter how long or short your break – there are so many beautiful areas throughout the riad, indoors and outdoors – including roof terraces and other courtyards that we were still discovering on day seven!
Could I fault anything ? Only the problem that there are no direct flights to Morrocco from Ireland :-( and of course that we had to leave the haven that is the Palais Sebban........

Thank you for a truly wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple