We stayed here for 6 nights in October and would highly recommend it to anyone/everyone.
Room: we stayed in one of the standard rooms (Imilchil) which was absolutely lovely. If you want to spoil yourself, go for a more expensive room/suite but you won't be disappointed by the standard rooms. Very comfy bed, lovely furniture, small mini fridge, decent enough hairdryer, aircon, quiet (although you could hear people walking past the internal window if they were talking), safe (with key lock), enough wardrobe space etc. Small toilet and shower room which was very clean. Shower was fine (and better than I expected in terms of water pressure but not very strong).
Riad: Very very very clean! The team started cleaning in the morning and didn't finish until the evening - they cleaned it from top to bottom every single day! Also, stunningly beautiful. Check out the pictures on the website but believe that they don't do it justice. The furniture is all gorgeous and I wanted to take it all home. There is a resident cat and tortoise!
Food: Breakfast was great - lots of pancakes (different styles), fruit, bread, eggs (hard boiled/fried/omelette), yoghurt and the most amazing fresh orange juice ever. Constantly re-stocked during breakfast hours so it didn't matter what time you got out of bed.
Lunch/dinner/drinks: We're both vegetarian and there were a couple of veggie dishes that were very tasty (veg cous cous, veg pasta with argan oil, and a starter of moroccan salad which is several chopped spiced veg dishes on one plate and quite filling). Drinks - good choice. We had a very nice moroccan red wine (Medallion I think it was called) and Casablanca beer (lager) was good.
Staff: brilliant. Very friendly and helpful but not at all overbearing. Reception staff helped us to book a day trip to the Atlas mountains (more later). Waiting staff were just lovely and happy to chat.
Top tip: Go up on the terrace at night to look at the stars and also at dusk to listen to the call to prayer from all angles. Magical!
General Marrakech stuff:
- vegetarians - it's very tricky but we enjoyed a very cheap pizza at Venezia Pizza (now called something else and part of a hotel) on Mohammed V ave. (views of the Koutoubia Mosque and the noise of the cars on Mohammed V), Earth Cafe (venue not v nice but food was excellent and cheap), and Narwama (Thai, Moroccan and European food, good veggie choice, expensive, brilliant decor).
- pay £40 and spend a day at the Mamounia hotel poolside and be treated like a rock star (take your own lunch as it's v expensive to eat/drink there). We spent the day in the pool and then got showered and changed (they have lovely showers with soap/shampoo and hairdryers/mirrors) and went for cocktails in the Churchill bar (gorgeous but £25 a cocktail!!!)
- if you go on a visit to the waterfalls in the Atlas mountains be warned that you pay extra on top of your trip cost to be guided to the waterfalls. It's totally unnecessary but our guide (Mustafa) was lovely and pulled me up and down the rocks when I was wearing stupid shoes so we didn't mind too much.
- all the rest is in the guide books.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The owner and former king in Sebban give his name to his beautiful Palace that has been care fully ma intained by his family for over a centery.In 2006 and efter 4 years of renovationand restoration, it became a Moroccan Andalusian architecture jewel. (Zellige,Marbre,carved plaster ,Berber carved wooden, ceilings and original ceilings (Glaoui period),Marbled fontaine ....Everything in this palace of a thousand and one night makes you dreaming and soak up the Oriental culture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Southall Travel, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Palais Sebban reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palais Sebban Marrakech
- Palais Sebban Hotel Marrakech