“SVG” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Geneva, Switzerland
“SVG”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

We were looking for accomodation in a Riad to get away from the usual hotel vacation. Riad Karmela was the answer. Bouchra's assistance from the moment I booked our room was amazing. I made numerous changes to our reservations which were taken care of without a hitch. She organised 2 tours for us, one of the city and the other to Essouaria. Both guides were professional and knowledgeable. The transfer from the airport to the hotel went smoothly and we were well received. Upon our arrival at the Riad, Joel checked us in and provided us with information on the Riad, visiting the city, and overall advice.
The staff at Riad Karmela were welcoming, friendly, helpful.
We dined at the Riad twice (amazing food). the location was perfect as we were close to most sites.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were really touched by the personal attention given by the staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yinca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Turkish first
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012 via mobile

If Youare looking for a an authentic eperience this would be a good Riad I had researched quite the thoroughly .but unfortunately I had a very bad experience one night at 1230 am at night early morning I was on the rooms at the the back just by the courtyard some one entered the room , my room was not bolted from inside . I looked up there was a young morel an 26 ysr old or so with a big machete knife in his hand I g turned the light on and tsrtled the man I shouted and jumped up straight away screamed that there us a thief startled the guy my young daughter was also inn the room she screamed I chased the man out of my room through the courtyard and through another courtyard shooting top of my voice for help ...my daughter was scera,ing Dad stop I stopped as e had a machete he could have done anything he eventually ran out of a back door .

The man looked drugged .. I was shaken there was no one form the hotel any where one young was asleep near the kitchen I went woke hihim up .. He called the the owner
Nxt MRI ing eve one had heard from screams

Joel the owner said I should not tell any one as jot would be bad for business
I asked him to report to police he said they would nit do anything

I waited next day and now few months have passed no letter received no follow up

I am very disappointed that the manager did nit follow up and tell me what he has done
As much the riad was. Beautiful bt I was disappointed by the management stance on security and did nit seem ti care or make amends .

So especially for ladies travelling alone I would advise make sure your rooms are locked

Also I noised that there were young kids 12-18 ae urn the riad soliciting for sex

A great holiday ruined by the worst experience

I have travelled trough out the world and this was the first time such thing has happened to me

Thank god nothing worse happened it could have been much worse

I would never go back there again mr akhtar from London

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank PareXcellence2014
, Propriétaire at Riad Karmela, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Dear Mister Akhtar, I understand that you both have been very stressed about the situation during your stay in January. I took the situation seriously as it was reported to the Police and the man HAS BEEN arrested and is now in jail for 3 years...As explained during your stay, this was a exceptional situation. We did talk about it several times and you mentionned you were pleased about the follow up before you left the country? It took some time for the investigation but the men has been arrested and went through court. We have also reviewed the control to close the terasse doors ( which was the way he came in) and added cameras. Once again I understand that this is not what you expect and I am very sorry about it. I am also sure that you will understand that it was an one off situation. I must also say that ALL bedrooms have inside locks and all guests have the option to close the bedroom from the inside Best regards Joel
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

Nice riad, very well decorated, and located close to the action, but not too close.

Had to call the riad when we arrived at the airport as our pre-arranged transfer was no where to be seen after waiting 15 minutes... rather than standing with a sign of some sort at Arrivals, the riad's driver was sat 30 meters away chatting to his buddies. Little bit more professionalism needed there, but not the end of the world, so we let that one slide.

Only had dinner at the riad on one occasion, and no complaints. Breakfast we also only had once, and even then we were a little late, so the limited selection may've been down to our lateness - so it wouldn't be fair of me to criticise.

Our room was nice - light colour scheme, well decorated, clean, and the free wifi was an added bonus.

The owners - Bouchra seemed very nice, always smiling and quite bubbly. The gentleman (he never actually introduced himself, but from reading other reviews on here, I'm assuming his name was Joel). During our five day stay he only ever said "hello", except on one occasion when we approached him for directions to a restaurant. In my opinion, he definitely should've been more talkative and friendly as he is not only running a business reliant on good customer service, but is also a host and therefore should not be so distant from his guests. Interesting that another recent reviewer has said the same thing.

• Stayed June 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Like the 1000 and 1 night fairy tale. Location is perfect in the hart of the medina 10 min walk from big square and very friendly staff. We loved it!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Roxysan
France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Loved the location. Totally immersed in the local life

The good:
Location
Staff. Especially the tall one (sorr cant remember the name) usually serving In public space
Wifi free and very decent speed

The not so good:
Room had a funny smell
Manager not as hospitable as described by other travelers. Stayed there a few days and spent a lot of time in the riad. Saw the manager around many times but he never bothered to start a conversation
Missed my early morning departure. Had to make a lot of noise to wake up some staff
Breakfast average

Would I stay there again? No as I felt ignored somehow

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Antrim, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Have wanted to visit Marrakech for sometime now! We deliberated long and hard on which Riad to choose. Based on great reviews we decided on Karmela. It was perfect! Karmela is an oasis in the middle of the throng of Marrakech. We were greeted by the owner Joel who provided us with information and our first mint tea. The riad is tastefully decorated and has lots of relaxing areas to chill and sunbath. The staff are a friendly bunch and nothing was to much trouble. I can't wait to return with my husband & kids.

Room Tip: Hassan room ground floor very spacious