“Amazing experience for unusual Christmas vacation !”
Review of Riad Karmela

Riad Karmela
Ranked #43 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We were looking forward exchanging our traditional December vacation for a new experience.
Our choice went to Marrakech and Karmela Riad.
Everything was OK. Our transfer from the airport had been pre-organized and our driver Kamal took us friendly to the hotel.
After a short walk through Medina hubbub, we entered a heaven of peace
Karmela is ideally located to get easily to "the Place" (barely 10 mn walk) and most sites.
We enjoyed helpful welcoming by Joel and his staff.
Great atmosphere, very nice food and cosy spa... we enjoyed everything.
Excellent quality-price ratio. A very good address.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 July 2012

We arrived in the morning straight from the airport. The owner gave us a very warm welcome and showed us some great places to eat but was very aloof after that. The staff were mixed, most were fantastic but a couple of staff, such as the ones around breakfast, were borderline rude.

The rooms was beautiful and the air conditioning was brilliant. The surroundings, couple with the resident tortoise, were fantastic and the hammam we booked was an extremely relaxing experience and well recommended.

The Riad can be quite hard to find, there are signs at 3 points for directions but we still had problems. However, if you want to be right in the medina then this a brilliant place to stay. The reception was not 24 hours which was also disappointing as we had to wait in the morning unnecessarily to clear up and move on.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Stayed at the Riad Karmela last week along with a group of friends. Found all the staff to be very courteous and helpful. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Food was authentic and delicious. Transportation to and from the airport was very well coordinated. Location was very central. Tour guides, recommended places of interest and restaurants were very well seleced for us by staff . Should you be looking for a place to stay where you can truly experience Moroccan culture and not the usual mundane "hotel chain" type vacation, I would definitely recommend this Riad.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Yes, I do recommend Karmela Riad. Remarkable place to stay in Marrakech.
It was just PERFECT !
Hearty welcoming by Joël and his team.
Rooms so nicely decorated and charming great patio to have a drink or a typical marrachi dinner.
Wonderful roof terrace to enjoy dinner with exceptional Medina view.
Tactful staff with people who fussed over us.
So sad to leave.... we'll come back asap !

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We were looking for accomodation in a Riad to get away from the usual hotel vacation. Riad Karmela was the answer. Bouchra's assistance from the moment I booked our room was amazing. I made numerous changes to our reservations which were taken care of without a hitch. She organised 2 tours for us, one of the city and the other to Essouaria. Both guides were professional and knowledgeable. The transfer from the airport to the hotel went smoothly and we were well received. Upon our arrival at the Riad, Joel checked us in and provided us with information on the Riad, visiting the city, and overall advice.
The staff at Riad Karmela were welcoming, friendly, helpful.
We dined at the Riad twice (amazing food). the location was perfect as we were close to most sites.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were really touched by the personal attention given by the staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yinca
Reviewed 4 July 2012

If Youare looking for a an authentic eperience this would be a good Riad I had researched quite the thoroughly .but unfortunately I had a very bad experience one night at 1230 am at night early morning I was on the rooms at the the back just by the courtyard some one entered the room , my room was not bolted from inside . I looked up there was a young morel an 26 ysr old or so with a big machete knife in his hand I g turned the light on and tsrtled the man I shouted and jumped up straight away screamed that there us a thief startled the guy my young daughter was also inn the room she screamed I chased the man out of my room through the courtyard and through another courtyard shooting top of my voice for help ...my daughter was scera,ing Dad stop I stopped as e had a machete he could have done anything he eventually ran out of a back door .

The man looked drugged .. I was shaken there was no one form the hotel any where one young was asleep near the kitchen I went woke hihim up .. He called the the owner
Nxt MRI ing eve one had heard from screams

Joel the owner said I should not tell any one as jot would be bad for business
I asked him to report to police he said they would nit do anything

I waited next day and now few months have passed no letter received no follow up

I am very disappointed that the manager did nit follow up and tell me what he has done
As much the riad was. Beautiful bt I was disappointed by the management stance on security and did nit seem ti care or make amends .

So especially for ladies travelling alone I would advise make sure your rooms are locked

Also I noised that there were young kids 12-18 ae urn the riad soliciting for sex

A great holiday ruined by the worst experience

I have travelled trough out the world and this was the first time such thing has happened to me

Thank god nothing worse happened it could have been much worse

I would never go back there again mr akhtar from London

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank PareXcellence2014
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Dear Mister Akhtar, I understand that you both have been very stressed about the situation during your stay in January. I took the situation seriously as it was reported to the Police and the man HAS BEEN arrested and is now in jail for 3 years...As explained during your stay, this was a exceptional situation. We did talk about it several times and you mentionned you were pleased about the follow up before you left the country? It took some time for the investigation but the men has been arrested and went through court. We have also reviewed the control to close the terasse doors ( which was the way he came in) and added cameras. Once again I understand that this is not what you expect and I am very sorry about it. I am also sure that you will understand that it was an one off situation. I must also say that ALL bedrooms have inside locks and all guests have the option to close the bedroom from the inside Best regards Joel

Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

Nice riad, very well decorated, and located close to the action, but not too close.

Had to call the riad when we arrived at the airport as our pre-arranged transfer was no where to be seen after waiting 15 minutes... rather than standing with a sign of some sort at Arrivals, the riad's driver was sat 30 meters away chatting to his buddies. Little bit more professionalism needed there, but not the end of the world, so we let that one slide.

Only had dinner at the riad on one occasion, and no complaints. Breakfast we also only had once, and even then we were a little late, so the limited selection may've been down to our lateness - so it wouldn't be fair of me to criticise.

Our room was nice - light colour scheme, well decorated, clean, and the free wifi was an added bonus.

The owners - Bouchra seemed very nice, always smiling and quite bubbly. The gentleman (he never actually introduced himself, but from reading other reviews on here, I'm assuming his name was Joel). During our five day stay he only ever said "hello", except on one occasion when we approached him for directions to a restaurant. In my opinion, he definitely should've been more talkative and friendly as he is not only running a business reliant on good customer service, but is also a host and therefore should not be so distant from his guests. Interesting that another recent reviewer has said the same thing.

• Stayed: June 2012