“Gorgeous Riad, great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riad Karmela

Riad Karmela
Ranked #49 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous Riad, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for a 4 night break on the basis of other excellent reviews on tripadvisor. It was absolutely lovely. Our room, Aicha, was gorgeous, with a wow factor moroccan style bathroom. There were loads of beautiful secluded spaces around the riad to sit and read or chill or sunbathe, whether in courtyards of orange trees, on cushioned seating areas, on sunbeds on the beautiful rooftops, in the jacuzzi, or in the dappled shade of a pergola. Breakfast on the roof terrace was lovely, and it was only here that you noticed that the place was actually quite full, as during the day there always seemed to be a secluded spot all of your own. The airport transfer worked well, and i recommend it, as it would be tricky to find on your own. On arrival we were given mint tea and pastries, and the owner gave us a map with routes marked on, she talked us through the local customs such as haggling, and most importnantly explained the best way to get back to the hotel! The riad is in a great location in the heart of the action, but felt like an oasis of tranquility. There is always a bit of culture shock when you first go out for a wander, but we both commented on how safe Marrakesh felt even when walking back late at night, always plenty of people about, going about their business, no hassle. Some really nice touches to acknowledge from the Riad as well: complementary bottled water in the rooms daily, sunhats dotted around the roof terrace, when we went on a trekking trip they lent me suitable shoes, and, my personal favourite, a PROPER 2000 watt hairdryer in the room! I have stayed in much more expensive places and not had this attention to detail. The riad is beautifully decorated in traditional, chic moroccan style, lanterns, cushions, mosaic tiled archways and water features. Friendly, unpretentious, stylish, comfortable, excellent value for money. Highly recommended, i would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I think a room on the first floor is best. I can recommend Aicha room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I went for a bday weekend with four girlfriends! immediately upgraded to a small apartment suite which was perfect for the four of us to stay. They were very accommodating, and lovely people.
The amenities were very good, very clean and well equipped. We had a massage and hammam there which was amazing!!
Will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel is is located in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. As other trip advisors have commented you cannot get to this hotel by transport due to the size of the streets. We were collected at the airport and taken to the small taxi drop off point where we were met and taken to the Riad. Initially you wonder where on earth you are being taken to but once you weave down the streets, adorned with local sellers, you eventually arrive at the door of the Riad to be greeted by Joel. He sat us all down in the welcoming open area near reception adorned with orange trees and a couple of tortoise! Joel explained the area of Marrakech with a map to help and what he could arrange for us whether this be a guide who would take us to the local streets, souks, mosque or a trip to the Atlas Mountains. His knowledge was invaluable and would set us up for our visit. This inauguration was complimented by a serving of the local mint tea and savouries. We were on a half board basis and can I say that the evening meals were absolutely wonderful. It was a set menu but in a way I am glad, as I wouldn't have known what to choose on a Moroccan menu. Everything we were served from lamb, beef, chicken, fish were all amazing, and the waiter was so attentive and couldn't do enough for us. This also included catering for a member of our party who was unable to eat red meat and they were only too pleased to provide an alternative. These meals were served on the roof of the Riad where you also take breakfast. I have read comments on the amount of flies around the food which was prevalent in the morning only and maybe they could have covered bread with napkins to deter the flies but at the end of the day this is a hot country and you do get flies, it goes with the territory.
The room I had with my friends was an apartment and initially I was disappointed with the room, maybe because it wasn't as modern as I would have expected. However when I began to read about the age of the property, what it was used for and then how the owner had then tried to maintain the rooms to the original specifications, I was converted. The longer my trip went on the more I fell in love with this place to the extent that I would say this wasn't actually an hotel, it was like staying in a friends house. Everyone was treated as individuals and nothing was too much for any of the staff. Whether this be that you requested afternoon tea on the roof top terrace (which would have involved walking up numerous stairs) or to arrange trips, nothing was too much trouble. The staff are a credit to the Riad. We even booked messages which are also in a separate part of the Riad and have to say they were amazing !! This Riad is so in the centre of the action it is untrue. But as soon as you walk through the doors it is tranquil, quiet, calming and welcoming. Would I stay here again - you bet I would !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jkd66
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed at the Riad Karmela for a week. The hotel's airport transfer was ideal and prevented us getting lost in the hustle and bustle of Marrakech before we knew our way around. The staff gave us a warm welcome (with mint tea and pastries!) and were helpful and warm throughout our stay. They gave great tips on prices and "what not to do!" There were also excursions available - I recommend Imhil, the mountain walk, a beautiful cultural experience.

The location is central with easy access to everything within the Medina. I would highly recommend the Riad, beautiful terrace, courtyards and seating areas. I perfect place to relax after the being out on the hectic streets of Marrakech.

A wonderful stay! Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Peaceful, tranquil home in a chaotic, thriving, vibrantly colorful city. We were greeted with mint tea and cookies and made to feel welcome after a long day of traveling. Lovely courtyard in the middle of the riad with orange trees, reflecting pool and comfortable couches. Riad Karmela is a fabulous oasis a shot walk from Place Jamaa El Fna, the magical big piazza near the Koutoubia mosque. Our riad hosts could not be more welcoming and pleasant and helpful to the Western traveler. Excellent place. Very quiet and restful in this teeming medina.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Stellenbosch, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

When our driver stopped in a small square in the old city because he could not go any further, I had my misgivings! What are we in for? We followed the porter down small alleys and came to "big" brown door and entered a small haven in a sea of confusion! This Riad is an experience! Attractive court-yards, great dining-area on the terrace with a rooftop view and friendly service. The orientation talk by the management help us so that felt like locals after a day and negotiated the alleys with relative ease, The rooms were clean and spacious. The dinner was excellent and you must have dinner on the terrace at least once: especially after a long day in the Souk and your feet are too tired to take you further! Come and stay in the heart of the Old City: great value and lasting memories!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Johann S
Kensington, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I spent two days at Riad Karmela with my wife and two sons. I have to say that my first night was one of the worst nights I have ever spent in a hotel but I do believe it was an anomaly.

The Riad itself is really lovely. The common spaces are peaceful and tranquil which is a great relief from loud chaotic Marrakech. Like everywhere in old Marrakech it is very hard to find but once you learn the lay of the land one realizes that the location is really quite great. Every place you would want to go in Marrakech is within a 5-20 minute walk and the staff at Riad Karmela are very helpful in giving instructions. Breakfasts on the rooftop are very good and the rooftop space with flowers and little seating coves is a nice place to read or sun.

Rooms are all quite different. My first night was in a room on the roof with a canvas tent-like ceiling. There was a DJ and party down the street playing until 5 am and cats wrestling on the roof. I am a very good sleeper but could not sleep a wink. We had two rooms, the other was completely quite as were to common areas. We switched out of the rooftop room the second night and were able to sleep soundly. The rooms aren't fancy but feel cozy and clean.

Had I been in any other room on my first night I would have had a four star experience. If I return to Marrakech I would consider Riad Karmela but would pre-arrange a more quiet room first.

Room Tip: Avoid the room with the canvas roof on the top floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hivedoc
Espelette, Propriétaire at Riad Karmela, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Hello I am sorry about the first night experience that you had in the Roof teracce room. I understand that on that 1st evening there was ab local moroccan wedding in the area and we are dealing withy that problem. This location does NOT have a licence for weeding and there is an official complaint including local neighbours to relocate that wedding hall. I am sorry about that bad night you had and I am also please that despite that issue you keep a good souvenir of your stay. Best regards Joel