“Superb, friendly and gorgeous”
Review of Riad Karmela

Riad Karmela
Ranked #49 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Superb, friendly and gorgeous”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Most wonderful hotel. Great service. Excellent staff. Clean hotel and rooms. Wonderful terrace. Great dinners. Nice lunches, Simple breakfast. Beautiful common areas. Friendly elder guests. Unusual lack of noise a big plus.
Entertaining tortoises.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jules_Hicks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

First thing I will say is...WOOW!!
This place is absolutely beautiful! From the moment we stepped in everything was perfect, from the decor to the food to the service. This is a perfect place to stay if you want to be local to the beauty of Marrakech but want somewhere peaceful too. Thank you to all the staff that greeted us and welcomed us like it was our own home, especially Bushra, said, Jamal, Mustafa and saad for providing a wonderful experience for me and my friends. I would definitely recommend this Riad to absolutely anyone and this will be my choice every time I go to Marrakech. Thank you all so much!!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Suffolk, England
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My first trip to Marrakesh. I was not prepared for the sights, sounds and smells but very quickly got used to it. The Riad was fantastically beautiful. All terraces were decorated with typical Moroccan furniture and fabrics. Rooftop terraces were planted with sweet smelling shrubs and everywhere was well maintained. You would never know the Riad was in the location it is as there are so many narrow alleyways. A real jewel but make sure you arrange a taxi with the Riad because you would never find the it without a guide. The alleyways to the Souks took some getting used to. There were crowded, smelly and very noisy. Every sense is awakened in Marrakesh but definitely a humbling experience, one which I plan to repeat with other members of my family as soon as I can. We went on a day trip to the Atlas Mountains and had a meal with a Berber family in their own home. A small tip, take sturdy walking boots or comfortable trainers because the climb up the mountain to see the waterfalls is quite hard but well worth the effort. The spice markets are worth going to behind the main souks. Always haggle, the Moroccans expect it. Fantastic 5 day holiday, quite different from your "usual" break in the sun.

Room Tip: Every single room is beautifully decorated, the communal courtyards and roof top terraces are clean...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Absolutely loved this Riad! Four of us stayed in an apartment (Haroune) which was very comfy and roomy without being too big. In hindsight I think we would have gone for two bedrooms because of four of us sharing one bathroom. Fab location - you wouldn't even know the Riad was there even though it is just off the busy cobbled streets of Marrakech. Only a few mins walk to the Soukhs. The Riad organised day trips/taxis/guides for us which was extremely comforting. Breakfast was lovely served on the terrace and the dinner we had on arrival (late flight) was of really good standard. Wine and beer can be had at any time of the day. Wouldn't even contemplate staying at another Riad and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Haroune was a bit noisy due to the double room being near the kitchen and upper terrace. It did hav...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for a 4 night break on the basis of other excellent reviews on tripadvisor. It was absolutely lovely. Our room, Aicha, was gorgeous, with a wow factor moroccan style bathroom. There were loads of beautiful secluded spaces around the riad to sit and read or chill or sunbathe, whether in courtyards of orange trees, on cushioned seating areas, on sunbeds on the beautiful rooftops, in the jacuzzi, or in the dappled shade of a pergola. Breakfast on the roof terrace was lovely, and it was only here that you noticed that the place was actually quite full, as during the day there always seemed to be a secluded spot all of your own. The airport transfer worked well, and i recommend it, as it would be tricky to find on your own. On arrival we were given mint tea and pastries, and the owner gave us a map with routes marked on, she talked us through the local customs such as haggling, and most importnantly explained the best way to get back to the hotel! The riad is in a great location in the heart of the action, but felt like an oasis of tranquility. There is always a bit of culture shock when you first go out for a wander, but we both commented on how safe Marrakesh felt even when walking back late at night, always plenty of people about, going about their business, no hassle. Some really nice touches to acknowledge from the Riad as well: complementary bottled water in the rooms daily, sunhats dotted around the roof terrace, when we went on a trekking trip they lent me suitable shoes, and, my personal favourite, a PROPER 2000 watt hairdryer in the room! I have stayed in much more expensive places and not had this attention to detail. The riad is beautifully decorated in traditional, chic moroccan style, lanterns, cushions, mosaic tiled archways and water features. Friendly, unpretentious, stylish, comfortable, excellent value for money. Highly recommended, i would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I think a room on the first floor is best. I can recommend Aicha room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I went for a bday weekend with four girlfriends! immediately upgraded to a small apartment suite which was perfect for the four of us to stay. They were very accommodating, and lovely people.
The amenities were very good, very clean and well equipped. We had a massage and hammam there which was amazing!!
Will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel is is located in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. As other trip advisors have commented you cannot get to this hotel by transport due to the size of the streets. We were collected at the airport and taken to the small taxi drop off point where we were met and taken to the Riad. Initially you wonder where on earth you are being taken to but once you weave down the streets, adorned with local sellers, you eventually arrive at the door of the Riad to be greeted by Joel. He sat us all down in the welcoming open area near reception adorned with orange trees and a couple of tortoise! Joel explained the area of Marrakech with a map to help and what he could arrange for us whether this be a guide who would take us to the local streets, souks, mosque or a trip to the Atlas Mountains. His knowledge was invaluable and would set us up for our visit. This inauguration was complimented by a serving of the local mint tea and savouries. We were on a half board basis and can I say that the evening meals were absolutely wonderful. It was a set menu but in a way I am glad, as I wouldn't have known what to choose on a Moroccan menu. Everything we were served from lamb, beef, chicken, fish were all amazing, and the waiter was so attentive and couldn't do enough for us. This also included catering for a member of our party who was unable to eat red meat and they were only too pleased to provide an alternative. These meals were served on the roof of the Riad where you also take breakfast. I have read comments on the amount of flies around the food which was prevalent in the morning only and maybe they could have covered bread with napkins to deter the flies but at the end of the day this is a hot country and you do get flies, it goes with the territory.
The room I had with my friends was an apartment and initially I was disappointed with the room, maybe because it wasn't as modern as I would have expected. However when I began to read about the age of the property, what it was used for and then how the owner had then tried to maintain the rooms to the original specifications, I was converted. The longer my trip went on the more I fell in love with this place to the extent that I would say this wasn't actually an hotel, it was like staying in a friends house. Everyone was treated as individuals and nothing was too much for any of the staff. Whether this be that you requested afternoon tea on the roof top terrace (which would have involved walking up numerous stairs) or to arrange trips, nothing was too much trouble. The staff are a credit to the Riad. We even booked messages which are also in a separate part of the Riad and have to say they were amazing !! This Riad is so in the centre of the action it is untrue. But as soon as you walk through the doors it is tranquil, quiet, calming and welcoming. Would I stay here again - you bet I would !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends