“Rubbish Hotel”

Ranked #275 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Stockport UK
“Rubbish Hotel”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

When we arrived at the hotel. the guy on reception asked for payment. I told him that I had already paid online but he insisted that I had not. There were quite a few people at reception and the way he was speaking to me was as if I was trying to cheat him and it was very embarrassing. I had to go online with my laptop and get my credit card statement up to prove that it had been paid. Even then he wouldn't believe me and called the manager and we were allowed to go to our room after about forty five minutes.
When we got to the room the window was wide open (January!) and it soon became apparent why when I closed it. The smell of sewage was unbelievable. I complained to the reception and the guy said that other people had complained about that room.
We were then given another room.
I have stayed at the other Marrakech Ibis next to the station and that has always been fine.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Richard F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at Ibis Palmeraie and found it to be good value and in keeping with other Ibis hotels we have stayed in. We were very fortunate that Karim at the reception helped us organize English tour guides (his sister and father) who were delightful. We had been feeling out of our depth with all the haggling and harassing when we were on our own in the medina and around town. Karim deserves top marks for his professional and courteous manner.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy R
Brou, France
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Expensive, noisy because of the street, small room, very small bathroom, not enough towels, good food (we were lucky to have Moroccan dinner),
Very polite staff!!!!!
Comparing with beatufiful and less expensive places in the South, we were dissapointed.

• Stayed March 2014
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My friend and I never stayed in Marrakech before so picked this hotel before knowing about the area it was in. The hotel is situated quite far from the medina and the shuttle bus proved elusive. There was no concise info about the shuttle bus and the staff preferred you to take taxis. The hotel was clean. The food in the hotel was lovely and reasonably priced. The wifi worked well once code was received from reception. You just have to keep re logging in when you haven't used it for a while. The staff were friendly and very helpful. However be careful when booking taxi with them back to the airport. They won't book an ordinary taxi which they do any other time. We were kept waiting 30 minutes, and staff member insisted we waited where any other time s taxi would be flagged down. The taxi was a range rover and charged 20 euros to the airport. Was strange because I'm English, but knew I had euros as I changed some in the hotel for Dirham which I was questioned about. Remember there is city taxes to pay and the hotel has a tab system when you eat, so bill can easy run up and it is charged to your card when checking out. A hotel more for the local business people and not for holiday makers

• Stayed March 2014
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Rude, unhelpful, un informative staff
Miles from anywhere (not 3km from the Jemaa el Fna as advertised)
Rooms are extremely basic
Filthy rooms (hole ripped in curtain, dirty shower tray...see our photos)
Shuttle bus only runs at 10am and 3pm Monday to Saturday...(not regular intervals as advertised)
Pool was freezing..couldn't go in
Poor choice of food on restaurant menu
All signs, notices, bulletins etc are in French or Arabic

Room Tip: Do not book! Or if it's too late ask for a room with a pool view. Other rooms look out onto main...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 February 2014

On their website they claim to run "regular" shuttle buses between their Ibis at the Train Station and this one, they also claim that the hotel is 3km away from Place Jemaa El Fna (The main square in Marrakesh), these are both lies.
They run 2 per day (when I arrived at the Ibis at the station at 2.45pm I was told the next wasn't until 8pm, and I would have to take a taxi!), and on Google Maps it shows the hotel to be over 8km from the main square.

For 2 days before I arrived I emailed the hotel in both French and English asking what times the "regular" shuttle service ran, they didn't reply to any of my mails, I explained this to the manager at the Ibis at the station, and eventually after much discussion with the Palmeraie, he had them agree to pick me up within 30mins, an hour later I was collected.

When I got to the hotel I was given room 243, I took the lift, the hallways smelt damp, the room itself was dirty (hair on the bed, bathroom floor etc), stains (where drinks had been sat down), plaster coming off wall as you entered the room, at this stage I thought I would complain to the management.

I went to the reception and asked for the manager, the person on reception asked why, and when I said to him I wanted to complain, he folded his arms and said "about what"!

He said the manager wasn't available, but agreed to change my room, the new room, 240 smelt of cigarettes (I'm a non smoker) but at least it was slightly (and only slightly!) cleaner.

I attempted to contact Accor to complain, but they make it extremely difficult, I sent an email to a general address, but they haven't replied, cannot believe how bad this was.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo