“awful”

Amalay Hotel Marrakech
Ranked #448 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 22 April 2009

the hotel was not at all friendly to english people the facilities in our room were poor and we had tro ask for the heating in the room to be turned on all of the time as they turned it off at every opportunity.
My daughter had her mobile phone stolen from our room, and the management refused to investigate our complaints, our room was then ransacked by a member of the hotel staff as she felt she had been accused of the theft.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank BrightonBudgie

Reviewed 22 January 2009

Stayed at the amalay hotel for 4 days (3 nights) while on holiday in marrakech. Had a lovely stay, staff are extremelly helpful and polite considering we did not speak a word or french or arabic still found the staff helpful and understanding.
Myself and my husband WOULD reccommend this hotel to any one.
The rooms are clean and comfortable... hot water, cosy and bed sheets are changed on a daily basis.
The hotel is loctated close to the local bus station from where you can catch a bus to the MAIN jama-el-Fna square for JUST 3.50DH, travel time is about 15mins.
A great place to stay if you are visiting marrakech.
Also a LOVELY walk to the marjorrie gardens.....

A GREAT place to stay.. made our holiday that much better :-)
Happy Holidays,
:-)

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank SadiaHussain
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Stayed here with a group of about 20. At times it seemed like we were the only ones in the hotel. Rooms were basic, but generally acceptable and mostly clean. The restaurant is terrible and is to be avoided. A number in our group felt ill the day after eating in the restaurant. This is basic no frills lodging. You must ask to have the heat turned on in your room at the front desk if you travel there in cold weather.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 1 July 2008

My husband and i stayed at the Amalay hotel for 1 LONG week,it was supposed to be a nice mid year break away.We paid for bed & breakfast expecting a choice But on the first morning when we went for breakfast we were given a peice of french stick & a crossiant with choclate inside & a bowl with butter & jam & tea,to say the least we were not impressed i did ask if that was all we got but was ignored.My husband has to take medication and i asked if they had any rooms with a small fridge (which non of the rooms have so i found out) i was told no but we could put his medication in the kitchens fridge if we wanted to.The temp was about 40 to 50 during the day and they controled the aircon from the reception so we got into a habit of asking them if the aircon was on when we came back hot & bothered after a couple of hours haggling, they were quite rude and did not even give me tiime to finishe my question and said yes its open & they kept turning the aircon off.The room does not have any tea making facilities at all good job we took cups & a travel kettle with us.The day time receptionist is very aburupt & rude at one time (after reading on the hotel page that they spoke english) i had to say to her do you understand english i think she did not approve of me asking.Also the hotel is supposed to have satalite tv yes ok if you speak french of arabic and all in black & white.The pillow are i think made of rocks the curtain were broke the table & chairs on the so called balacony were filthy (grey but i think they should have been white) the women who cleaned the rroms would just come in & not knock we would be laying down in the afternoon having a siesta and they would just let themselves in.So all in all i would not even put my dog or cats there for a week let alone humans so please stay clear .

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moorhen30
Reviewed 29 April 2008

My husband and I were at the Amalay for a week in Feb. There is major construction going on to the building that is attached to an adjoining wall..(Shaking the building enough to shake our drink off the desk and onto the floor if you weren't paying attention)

Some people are worried that they will get an early morning wake up with the call to Prayer.. Not a chance you were up before... and it would have been more pleasurable.
They state that construction should be only between 9 - 6pm.. But we had them start jackhammering as early as 0600 till 2300. We contacted the front desk and asked to be moved to a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the construction.. and it only took 3 days.. because the front desk kept "forgetting".

In contrast the house keepers were wonderful as was the breakfast that was free in the morning (rolls and coffee or tea).. But more than enough if your taking off for a day of sightseeing and the "hop on hop off bus" picks up right across the street..

If your a non-smoker take a bottle of Febreeze spray and a stick up air-freshener.. Will make a HUGE difference!

The restaurant is okay but there is a bakery across the street that is wonderful and a grocery store one block down for drinks...

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank Nosturtle
Reviewed 16 January 2008

I have just got back from Marrakech, stayed at Amalay Hotel.
We had to change rooms three times.The first room the toilet was not working, second room the shower was not working.The bed sheets were in a state.The pillows were brown in colour due to stains.The pillow cases had marks on them too. I asked the bed sheets to be changed due to stains again. However this was not liked by the hotel staff. We had to give tips to have clean bed sheets the next day.The breakfast is cold tea, but if you do have a tip handy, then maybe, just maybe you'll will some orange juice and some hot tea/coffee too. Once the tip was given our breakfast was not too bad...even the bread rolls were fresh. The restaurant next to the hotel is fine if you didn't want to go away too far.

Our experience was not at all nice regarding the hotel.The hotel staff were polite but not as helpful. Its is a good 45mins walk to the square. We had a wonderful time in Marrakech but staying for five nights at Amalay Hotel, took a little bit of that enjoyment away. I only wish i had taken some photos to put on here.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Ally27
Reviewed 27 March 2007

I woud endorse the views of the previous reviewer. i stayed at the Hotel Amalay for one night only and would do so again. I thought that it represented good value for money (I paid just over 20 pounds sterling for a single room, inclusive of taxes and breakfast). There is a decent (licensed!) restaurant attached to the hotel; they offer a 'prix fixe' three-course menu for 60 MAD (just under four pounds sterling) and it was absolutely fine. My room was a reasonable size, as was the bathroom, which had a bath (and matching plug!). The furniture is rather heavy and old-fashioned, but the bed was very comfortable. I found the staff pleasant and welcoming. The location is excellent - on the boulevard Mohammed V, just off place Abdelmoumen, in the Nouvelle Ville/Gueliz. A taxi ride from there to the Medina should take no more than five to ten minutes, depending on the time of day and shoul cost no more than 10 to 15 MAD during the day (and 50% more after 2000) Insist that the driver turns on his meter! There are some excellent restaurants (moderate to expensive) in the vicinity, as well as some lively cafes. Among the former, I would warmly recommend La Jacaranda, the Rotisserie de la Paix and Bagatelle (the last two are opposite one another on the rue de Yougoslavia). I have only two negative comments. The soundproofing in the room was totally inadequate. Fortunately, I am a very sound sleeper; were I not, I might well have been kept awake by the noise of almost constant traffic from the bustling street below. Also, I thought that the lighting in the bathroom was inadequate; it made it seem rather gloomy and dingy. All in all, however, I would recommend the hotel - but probably not to someone who wasa light sleeper.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo