“Is there a nicer Riad in Marrakech?”
Review of Dar Charkia

Dar Charkia
Ranked #34 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 8 January 2009

Ourselves and two families formed a party of 12 and took over Dar Charkia for New Year 2008. If you can manage exclusive use this is undoubtedly the best way to enjoy the experience.

The Riad is simply superb. Spotless, beautifully furnished it is a haven within which to reflect upon the whole Marrakech experience. The staff are extremely friendly, especially the night guardian who became firm friends with the younger members of our group.

We ate in one night (New Years Eve) and were provided with a wonderful feast but you will probably want to enjoy the many nearby restaurants. Breakfast was fine and served on the roof terrace. The owner, Lisa, was incredibly helpful and basically planned activities for all four days we were there. Having done that she was on hand to ensure everything went smoothly and she is obviously really committed to the business. The local guide she arranged for us, Saleem, was the best I have ever experienced, and taught me a great deal about my own culture, let alone his!

I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this very special place and have already done so to many friends.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Dar Charkia

Reviewed 6 January 2009

Absolutely fantastic experience, one not to be missed. Marrakech is the most fasinating place we have ever visited. We walked endlessly taking in all of the interesting aroma's, colours and noise of the thriving market stalls. After a full day's sightseeing the only place you will want to be is in the wonderful tranquility of Dar Charkia. The Riad is absolutely beautifully furnished and the decor is designed to make you feel calm and relaxed. We were made to feel extremely welcome by the owners Michael and Lisa, who provided us with a compliment of fantastic hospitality and a wealth of knowledge on the do's and don'ts of marrakech. We would definitely go back and stay with them and would without doubt recommend their Riad highly. Please go if you get the chance, you'll love it!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2009

This is a rather belated review as myself and my wife stayed here for our honeymoon in September 2008. I could go into great detail about how wonderful we felt Dar Charkia was, however it's all in the reviews left by previous posters

We really felt this Riad was an oasis amongst the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. All the staff were absolutely delightful as were the owners, nothing was to much trouble yet there was a friendliness usually missing from larger hotels. The decor of the rooms further added to the personal touch as did the communal courtyard and roof terrace.

The orientation talk when you first arrive is a must, as are the shopping recommendations. The great thing we found with Dar Charkia is Lisa will help you as much as you like to best organise your days in marrakech whilst giving you the insider tips to ensure you are not over paying for everything.

We have both travelled extensively staying in all classes of accomodation but Dar Charkia is our favourite type of place, good service but not officious, friendly staff and owners, individually decorated throughout and an air of informality which ultimately creates a relaxed atmosphere.

The ultimate test is would we recommend Dar Charkia to others visiting Marrakech and the answer is an emphatic "Yes".

Nathan & Danae

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2009

I just returned from a very interesting 10-day trip to Marroco. The highlight of this trip was Marrakech and staying in a wonderful riad, the Dar Charkia. Located in the old center of the city, this riad turned out to be a jewel. Owned by an European couple who run their place with a splendid Maroccan staff, this riad is a delight. The rooms are lovely, spacious and comfortable; they have modern bathrooms and our room also had a fireplace. A tasteful and varied breakfast was served on the roof top and we also were able to enjoy two excellent Maroccan-style dinners in the beautifully decorated courtyard. The owners and staff spoiled us with their attention and assistance to explore the city. We are planning to return to this place and city.

Reviewed 5 January 2009

I arranged to meet friends at Dar Charkia over the Xmas period for 6 nights.

I've never been to Morocco before and had heard that Marrakesh is an amazing city and quite 'full on'!

The Marrakesh medina is a mad but exciting place and when I found the Dar Charkia front door I had no idea what to expect. It literally is like finding a beautiful calm oasis in a bustling warren of alleyways. I was greeted with tea and a comfy sofa next to the pool, just what I needed!

Lisa and Michael, who run Dar Charkia, are lovely people and I was touched at how well they looked after me and really made me feel at home.

My room was the Berber suite, with a lovely comfy bed and a fantastic shower room. The decor is very tastefully done throughout and very clean and comfortable.

Breakfast on the roof terrace was sublime and just the right mix between Moroccan and English food and drink. In fact, the food generally was excellent.

Lisa gets on well with her staff and I could tell they all enjoy working for her and it shows in their manner. I didn't really need to plan much at all because Lisa explained all the do's and don'ts when I arrived and helped me find the things I wanted to buy for the right price. She even walked me around the medina to introduce me to shopkeepers with the best quality/price combo!

As you can see I loved this place, it truly made my Marrakesh adventure complete.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2009

From the moment we walked in we felt welcomed at Dar Charkia. The place is magical - beautifully decorated with great rooms and staff. We took advantage of some of the tours and found that especially the shopping tour with Lisa was well worth the money. Dar Charkia is spotlessly clean and the breakfast was tasty, filling, and wonderfully presented. It is in a great location and relatively easy to find (some places are not so easy!). The owners, Lisa and Michael, were kind and gave advice freely and never bothered by our many questions about Marrakech. We would definitely stay there again. Unfortunately our computer is not cooperating to attach our photos but the Dar Charkia website is totally accurate. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2009

We stayed at Dar Charkia in mid December and arrived in a small group for a birthday celebration. This was our first trip to Marrakech and it was fantastic. Dar Charkia is a paradise behind a wooden door, with great access to all sights but secluded enough to offer a tranquil break from the hectic city that is Marrakech. We had two meals in at the riad and they were delicious. The rooms we took were spacious and airy with great bathrooms with all modern amenities.

The breakfast was the highlight. Everyday a different offering and we often took it on the roof terrace in the tent. The staff were friendly and helpful without being intrusive. The owners Lisa and Michael booked restaurants, spas, daytrips for us. All their recommendations were great and we could not have managed this on our own. Their insider information helped make the holiday a success and we will definitely go back!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business