“Idyllic Sanctuary in the busy streets” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dar Charkia

Dar Charkia
Ranked #28 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
london
“Idyllic Sanctuary in the busy streets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

We had such a fantastic time in Morocco and much of that was due to the great stay in Dar Charkia, the wonderful staff, amazing rooms and delicious food.

Well done on creating such a lovely sanctuary in Marrakesh. The staff you just so lovely and helpful. The rooms just bliss. The food a highlight. Breakfast is amazing!

I would recommend this riad very highly and make sure you go onto the roof and lie in the sun and eat dinner there.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Sussex England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

We didn't know what to expect on this our first visit to Marrakech.The door of the riad was opened to reveal a most beautiful and colourful interior which was to be our haven for the next 5 days. Taking breakfast by the poolside was a delight each morning. We could not fault the accommodation and the service provided by the lovely staff. The owners Michael and Lisa went out of their way to give us good local information and recommendations. One of these was a day trip to the Atlas Mountains - not to be missed!.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

I decided to read a few of the reviews before I wrote mine. I believe that I can save you and me some time by saying that I could "ditto" everything that has been said and not refute a single word. We were there over New Year's and had a wonderful fun filled evening. The decor was "modern Morocco" which we loved; and the food was outstanding as was the service. Initial payment can be a little bit of a problem-transferring money to the UK, but I would not let that stop me. The price is somewhat higher than some of the other ryads in Marrakesh and other cities where we stayed. Really great place, owners and staff.

I

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

What better place to escape this month's snow and chill than in the heart of Marrakech where the weather changed as we arrived and became unexpectedly hot. A girlfriend and I had decided to take a long weekend break to recharge the batteries after the Christmas and New Year activities, to try and catch some sun and visit a place guaranteed to be entirely different to the UK. Marrakech delivered all that. Arriving at Dar Charkia we were given a warm welcome by the staff who throughout our stay couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. To get the best out of your stay you really do need as much information on the city as possible to avoid getting lost if nothing else and we certainly got all that from everyone at Dar Charkia. Very clean and beautifully furnished it became a haven of calm and relaxation for us after the bustle and noise of the outside world. We had a our first evening meal there which I would recommend as we were tired and it gave us a chance to settle in and make plans for the following days. The food throughout our stay was plentiful and delicious. We particularly enjoyed our breakfasts on the roof terrace seated on comfortable settees and cushions feeling the initial warmth of the sun. We would both highly recommend Dar Charkia to our friends and family as it delivered everything we were looking for on a relatively short break and provided a perfect setting in a city which we really enjoyed exploring in a welcome climate where we could escape the snow.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

This place truly is a paradise, a hidden gem away from the craziness of the souks. Going through the heavy wooden door takes you into another world. Its calm, peaceful, personal and you feel that you are in another world. Lisa and Michael make you feel so much at ease and offer lots of hints and tips on what to do for a holiday. They both love this place and it shows in the care and enthusiasm that they have. We went on one of the days trips suggested and both of us were not disappointed. There are many comments here on how the Riad is decorated and the attention to detail and they are true! I fell in love with the place the minute I walked through the door and if I could have fitted it in my suitcase then I would be in a lot of trouble. The rooftop breakfast is one of the best I have had and I came back from my weekend much more relaxed than I imagined possible. I felt like a friend rather than a guest. The staff are a credit to Lisa and Michael and nothing was too much trouble. The friend I went with had been before and loved it - I can see why! I will be returning and have no problem in recommending - Thank you so much!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
prestonaway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

Ok, Dar Charkia, where do Is start, well I have slept in every different scenario you can imagine, airports, 5 Star jobs, car parks, on trains, Guest houses even unfortuantly in foriegn police cells throughout the world yet Dar Charkia has something special, the nearest words are "Personal touch".

I have travelled all over the Middle Wast and Asia and my sister enjoys watching travel on the Arabic. world too, but 5 days in Islamabad watching cricket isn't her thing so I decdied to take her to Marrakesh as a taster of Arab life for Christmas,

A bed is pretty much a bed, and cleanliness can be found in many a hotel but Dar Charkia is what you may call a personal palace. Never have I ever been somewhere were every whim is catered for. I'm quite a intependant person and can look after myself but a few days at Micheal and Lisa's with there team really does make for unwinding and the feel of a previous King. You can stop at any Hilton in the world or Sheraton and you get the same sour faced person on reception breaking a smile and you think is your day worth living. Well Micheal and Lisa must live in paradise as nothing is ever too much, never a sour tone in them.

Organising a hassle free pick up at the airport is the first great move, rather than having to start to negotiate fars and making sure there legit. The drivers are of good skill in what can be a mental place and speak English and there friendlyness and non pushiness is a great start. A cart will meet you to transfer luggage straight from the taxi and while that is magically positioned in your room Micheal and Lisa will enchant you with there enthusiasim for there adopted city and can not give enough stories and tips over a welcome drink - Lisa is a mentalist, before you'll know it you'll be overloaded with maps, leaflets and write ups that over shadow any book you may have read. Micheal, well he is a real champ and gent to boot, He makes me laugh just thinking of him now, a bit of a Basil Fawlty kind of bloke, his only fault is caring TOO MUCH. On our first visit I felt sorry for him as we needed to find a excusrion office and he was really threating about us not having breakfast and that we may not eat all day. God Bless his cotton socks

Dar Charkia, well I hate Cliche's but a "calm oasis" is correct, surrounded by fresh flowers, candles and lots of sitting space around the pool with an arrangement of music to suit anyone with a gentle fountain in the background. Once asked if you require drinks you will be left to snooze or read or just sit and rest, with the team only a shout away and unlike 99% other hotels is not done with a frown, there's a genuine warmness and smile, nothing is too much.

I say a bed is a bed but the rooms are out of this world, a different room depicts a different setting and for me the Bathrooms are the best part, with much thought and care gone into them from small things like petals in the shower to plug adapters for phone chargers etc etc. The rooms are kept at a decent temperature as related to the outside weather.

When we talk personal touch, Lisa organised many pro's for us. Complimentry food, wine and bits and bats. She even offered me a seperate room as it was empty so we could have a room each. Once you stay your instantly a loyal customer, but that sounds too formal, I would say friend as this is what I would prefer Micheal and Lisa to be, because customers don't get treat well in these days of consumerism, however friends do and you'll be treat like a long lost family by all at Dar Charkia

Well . . .What you waiting for???

• Stayed December 2009
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

High level of professionalism in this well-located, beautifully restored dar. Lisa and Michael went out of their way to offer advice and recommendations, infecting us with their obvious enthusiasum for the country. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple