Dar Charkia
Hotel Almas(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$199
US$164
Kasbah Le Mirage(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$276
Fairmont.com
US$89
US$85
1,337 results
All reviewslisa michaeldouiria suiteroof terraceshopping tipsthe hustle and bustlebeautiful riadrestaurant recommendationsatlas mountainsplunge pooldrop off pointday tripgreat hostsheart of marrakechdinner reservationsthe main squareyogurtpancakes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I'm not really sure how to write this review because no matter what I say, it won't credit Dar Charkia or Lisa and Michael enough. Like all the other reviews, I cannot recommend this place highly enough - it really is so special.

Lisa will read this and probably smile! I started arranging my itinerary with her 3 months in advance of my visit! She literally knew everything and together we planned the most perfect trip. But even when my plans had to change, she still made my visit one of the most memorable of my life. From restaurants to shops to bars to the sights to the local general info - she knew where to go and where not to. And, how to fill my time so that I experienced Marrakech fully but the way I wanted to. I cannot thank her enough for this.

The riad itself is what I imagine heaven is like! The most beautiful decor inside and the tranquility and calm has to be seen to be felt and believed. The rooms are all magnificent and individual. The beds are amazing and I had 3 perfect nights sleep. The chill out areas are so peaceful and homely - the living area is relaxing, the roof terrace is so romantic at night and the plunge pool is so refreshing after a few hours in the sun. And most importantly, the staff are the best i've ever seen; they will do anything and everything...

It's actually quite simple, if you are wondering where to stay in Marrakech, look no further than Dar Charkia. You'd be a fool not to stay here and I cannot wait to return here hopefully as soon as in a few months (Lisa - prepare for incredibly long emails!).

Thank you for the most incredible trip.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
MarrakchiaBritgirl, Owner at Dar Charkia, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2010

Dear Ben,
I did smile as I read your review and it was an absolute pleasure hosting you at Dar Charkia. It is a real pat on the back when we see the wonderful and not taken for granted reviews on TA from clients who arrive as guests and leave as friends. It means so much that you take the time to do this for us.

I loved your long emails from your first enquiry to your thankyou email after you returned home!!! I was completely blown away that a young man was going to so much trouble to ensure that his girl friend would have a perfect wondrous break especially as we live in such a fast and furious world today.

So it was wonderful to help and advise you on how to make the most out of your trip here in Marrakech. My husband Michael and I live here full time and are always sourcing new great products and venues for our clients to enjoy. It saves you spending your whole holiday trying to discover something hidden and magical when we can give you the information even before you arrive.

Your mum did a great job and you are a credit to her!! Hope my daughters end up with boyfriends like you!
All the best from sunny fabulous crazy Marrakech!
Lisa

Reviewed 4 May 2010

My Wife and I stayed at Dar Charkia and like most people I thought I really must do a review as we were so pleased with the whole service provided from the beautiful riad to the personal service and helpful assistance. Like most people I never did get around to doing the review and this is what I hope will mean so much to anyone reading this that several years after visiting Dar Charkia I still have such fond memories that I just had to do this review. Many thanks (Belated I know) to all at Dar Charkia for an amazing journey shared in a simply stunning riad with lovely people.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We've just completed our first trip to Marrakesh, staying at the gorgeous riad, Dar Charkia. Down some twisty, narrow ancient streets and behind a huge ornate wooden door, you enter into a beautiful, tranquil riad which welcomes you from the moment you step over the threshold.

Run for many years by a gorgeous couple, Michael and Lisa, there's nothing they don't know about Marrakesh from which barber provides the closest shave to which restaurants are not to be missed. All their recommendations were wonderful and they were so generous with their time and advice.

The rooms are fabulous and very comfortable, and the roof terrace provides a lovely retreat in the early evenings to listen to the sounds of the birds and the haunting calling from the mosques. However, most notable was the warm hospitality we were shown from Michael, Lisa and their wonderful staff who made us feel so at home. Some days we were reluctant to leave the riad! Nothing was ever too much trouble, and although this was the first time in a city with a different language, culture and confusing street layouts to say the least! - we always felt that we were safe with their advice and knew where we were going.

Would certainly revisit and recommed to anyone going to Marrakesh!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We had one fantastic night at Dar Charkia !

We had originally booked for two nights after our trip to Essaouira. However, due to an issue with emails going astray our confirmation booking was not received. This could have been a disaster but Lisa and Michael were just so helpful, they upgraded us to their best suite for the night - with the offer of a second night in a nearby Riad (all arranged by Lisa).

You can't ask for better hosts than Lisa and Michael - our welcome was outstanding and Lisa provided us with a fantastic personalised map showing everything we needed from the best shops to the cleanest toilets in town. Her local knowledge of the Souks is fantastic.

We had a lovely night and to make up for any inconvenience with our lost booking - when we checked out we were not allowed to pay a penny !!! what a fantastic end to what could have been a disaster.

We will recommend this Riad to friends and family and hope to return ourselves later in the year.

Tom and Jackie
London

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2010

We stayed at Dar Charkia for 4 nights and after the first night we were upgraded to the suite which was a beautiful, large room with interesting Moroccan art and furnishings. Lovely touches like rose petals in the shower, candles in the courtyard and chilled music create a lovely ambience.

The owners, Michael and Lisa and their brilliant staff could not have been more helpful before, during and even following our stay. Before we arrived they suggested some great places to eat and shop as well as possible excursions, all of which they are more than happy to book for you which makes things much easier. During our stay, the service was relaxed, friendly and attentive with lovely drinks brought to us wherever and whenever we found ourselves thirsty. Try the lemonade. Delicious! They also mix a mean G&T.

Our plane home was cancelled due to the volcano and while we managed to make it home (via France and numerous trains and ferries!), we were so touched to find an email on our return that had been sent by Lisa and Michael offering us a place to stay if we couldn't get home as their guests due to arrive were stuck in the UK. Unfortunately, we didn't have access to our emails at the airport or I think we would have decided to stay!

All in all a fantastic place to stay in Marrakech. Great for a first time visit as all the help and advice you will be given is invaluable.

The only small tip would be to bring some ear plugs for the 5am call to prayer from the nearby mosque. I imagine you hear this wherever you are in the medina so worth having ear plugs on hand!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple