Riad Ben Tachfine ex Riad El mansour
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Riad Vendome & Spa Marrakech(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$470
US$242
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Kasbah Le Mirage(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$67
US$112
Elvoline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsamber suiteourika valleyold cityrooftop terracedriverhammamairportriadsoukstaxissquarechaosmazecourtyard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 August 2011

In all fairness, The best service award for this Riad is deserved by Abdess and Wadi, they were very pleasant and obliging. However, the Riad is owned by a very rude and unreasonable man based in the UK.
Firstly, Riads are not hotels, but rather, guest houses in the old medina, right in the thick of the action. This Riad is not luxurious and have few or no facilities, it is also not cheap. That being said, if you know what to expect then you won't be disappointed. We booked in August which is the off season, some Riads actually close for Ramadan is it so quiet, so like most Riads, Riad El Mansour was not fully booked, only 3 of the 6 rooms were occupied. August is also the hottest month. Our twin room was tiny with tiny beds. The 1st night we had the pre-ordered dinner, as this Riad has not got a restaurant, just a kitchen. The tagine was a huge let down, just a roasted chicken in a tagine!!! The air-conditioning in our room struggled all night and we had a very uncomfortable hot night, the room and the Riad was dusty and dirty generally and the next morning our room was not serviced, since the cook is also the cleaner. Note also, the breakfast is very basic.
Having spent our first morning in the souqs, we returned to the Riad after 1.30pm to escape the hottest part of the day, we would dearly have loved to dip into the plunge pool on our return, except it was dirty! We didn't pre order lunch or drinks, so eating and drinking was not an option so we retired to our tiny room (unserviced) to read. It was then that the airconditiong decided to spew water all over our belongings and stop working all together! We then decided to check out of the Riad and check into a real hotel with comfortable, cool, clean rooms with facilities like, pool, restaurant, bar etc.
We were booked to stay 3 nights at this Riad and had paid a fifty percent deposit so at this point of departure, we had paid for more than the 1st night. The Manager, Abdess offered to move us to another room, however according to their website they only had one twin room and we didn't wish to share a bed, and we were not happy generally speaking with our experience thus far, so we elected to leave. As we were leaving we paid for the terrible previous night's meal in cash and then discovered they were insisting we pay for the 3 nights accom regardless! Now let me just say here, I acknowledge the Riad has only 6 rooms, so therefore if it was fully booked, I say fair enough to pay, but it was not fully booked and we were not happy! That's when I had the pleasure (not) of speaking to the owner who wouldn't hear of it and tried to insist we stay in a better room!! A better room??? If there was such a thing and they were not fully booked wouldn't you think they would have put us in that room In the first instance? The man's attitude was appalling! We obviously left most unhappy and of course the terrible man has subsequently debited my credit card for the total amount (unauthorized). We spent the 2 next nights in the Sofitel, which at least had decent sized clean rooms, cool aircon, and BIG twin beds, a swimming pool etc etc. This hotel and others are still within walking distance to the Medina and souqs etc

Room Tip: Rooms are Tiny
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Tadra
scrsteve27, Owner at Riad Ben Tachfine ex Riad El mansour, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

This review is filled with many inaccuracies.

We expected this review as the reviewer told us that if we insisted on adhering to our cancellation policy, which by the way she signed and acknowledged, a very unflattering review would be forthcoming.

The reviewer booked to stay with us for three nights, but decided to leave after the first night because as she clearly stated coming in August is the hottest month in Marrakech and she decided she wanted a swimming pool, which we do not have.

This reviewer booked via our website so she knew the size of our rooms and what amenities we offer.

Having received and signed our credit card authorization form which clearly states our cancellation policy, the reviewer still demanded that she be exempted from paying us. I even told her that in the event, although it is unlikely, we were able to do sell the room that same day, we would offer her a refund.

The reviewer claims that we are not luxurious and are not cheap with few amenities.

Firstly this reviewer received our Summer Special 40% discount for which she chose our least expensive room and even though, she paid 90€ for two persons, she still received complimentary airport transfers, complimentary drinks upon arrival, in room complimentary bottled water, fresh flowers, dried and fresh fruit, Moroccan pastries, a map, twice daily maid service, by one of our three maids, NOT the cook as the reviewer mentioned.

All rooms are serviced in the morning while the guest is having breakfast or when they are out, and then later in the evening while the guest is at dinner. Why this reviewer has chosen to say that her room was not serviced is not accurate.

The reviewer also mentioned that we had small twin beds, but was happy at another hotel with big twin beds, a pool etc.

I would like to know that the difference is between a big twin bed and our small twin bed.

Why this reviewer expected an automatic upgrade just because we were not full is a mystery to me. If she wanted a more spacious room she should have perhaps paid for it.

Just because we have availability, does not in itself automatically mean a free upgrade.

After complaining in mid-afternoon (why not first thing in the morning?) about a faulty air conditioner (which worked perfectly fine once you turned it on with the remote control).

However, at this point, we offered her a complimentary upgrade, but apparently she had already booked other accommodation.

The reviewer did not choose another riad, but a large, modern, chain hotel situated outside the Medina

The reviewer is correct, we are not a restaurant, but a small hotel who does indeed have a kitchen where we prepare all of our meals, I am not sure where the reviewer thinks meals should be prepared if not in a kitchen.

After dinner the reviewer’s companion complimented the cook, as had many of our previous guests.

Dinners have to be pre ordered because all of our ingredients are fresh, but the reviewer mentions that our breakfasts and drinks also have to be pre-ordered, this is totally incorrect.

We have over 380 reviews that mention the great quality and delicious food, so maybe it all these past diners who have got it wrong?

The reviewer mentions that I am based in the UK, rude, unreasonable and appalling because I would not agree to allow her to leave without paying what is owed. I am not based in the UK, which is of no consequence in any instance.

The reviewer is correct that we are not a large hotel but a small one with only six bedrooms and that is why we, like all riads and hotels, have cancellation policies.

I am sorry that the reviewer felt this way and she should consider booking larger chain hotels in all future holidays who may have the facilities to please her.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Really enjoyed our stay at the road el mansour. It's great value, very clean and luxurious. The staff are extremely helpful and cannot do enough to assist without being imposing on your stay. The riad is equi distant from the souks and the new shopping area so its a great location. At first it's a bit daunting as the entrance to the riad is a little bit off the beaten track but this only adds to it's charachter. On the first day the staff helped us find our barings which was much appreciated. The staff also booked tables in a number of excellent restaurants and arranged a return taxi for us. The area surrounding the riad has lots of character and is a thriving area with lots of colourful and interesting shops and people. We really would stay here again the staff and the location are 2nd to none.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Ollie_G72
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We spent a superb five days in Marrakech but the high point of the holiday was the comfort and friendliness of the team at Riad El Mansour. The Riad was beautifully refurbished keeping the authenticity of the old building with everything a traveller in 2011 could require in the midst of the local community. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and our guide, Mustaffa, was superb in all respects. He gave us a unique insight into his homeland and we left with great respect for his personal integrity, knowledge, views and beliefs. Thank you so much.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maggie G
Reviewed 20 August 2011

The hotel was very nice and in an excellent location, inside the souks and near the square Djeema el Fna and a good walking distance to the newer downtown area. Everybody who worked there was very nice, they picked us up from the train station. Breakfast was very good and they also made lunch and dinner if requested, which was very good and could be eaten inside the room or on the top terrace. The rooms were very nice, clean and well decorated. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Emily S
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Which is saying something - I always want to try new things. If I were to return to Marrakech, however, I would stay at Riad El Mansour all over again. It would be a bit like coming home.

Like many other reviews, let me sing the praises of Wadi and Mustafa. I realize its their job to make me comfortable, but that can be done without the warmth and kindness that both bring to what must be difficult jobs.

When we first arrived, Wadi gave us a "tour" on a map which he marked up for us. Personally, I like to explore so this was just perfect. When we needed a guide he directed us to the marvelous Yusuf (who not only took us on a fun and informative day trip, but got us back safely over the High Atlas that evening when serious fog set in). When I wanted to stay out late to see the madness in Jemaa el-Fnaa he assured me I'd be perfectly safe, that the only possible danger was getting lost in the medina if I tried to walk all the way home after dark, and suggested I take a cab to the nearby city gate. (Nothing would have happened to me, but I could have wandered for hours!) Wadi was very good at reading just what we needed -- helping us to find our own way or getting us a guide per our own comfort levels.

Mustafa was supposed to spend half a day driving my friend and I around to various sites in Marrakesch. When my travel companion became ill I was very disappointed to have to go without him. Mustafa cheered me up pretty quickly however, and we had a wonderful time. Again, I realize that being a delightful companion is pretty much his "job" in this circumstance... but when I returned from my camel ride around the Palmerie to find him playing with the baby camels (see, he LOVES baby camels) like a kid I felt priviliged to be in the company of someone who is proud of his city and shares it so warmly.

The food was delicious. The riad was lovely. The location was convenient (both in the thick of things but close to cabs). The people, however, and their expressions of Marrakech's famous hospitality is was made my stay there so very very special.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends