“Authentic Marrakesh Location - Remarkable Service and Premises”
Review of Riad El Mansour

Riad El Mansour
Ranked #110 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Surrey
“Authentic Marrakesh Location - Remarkable Service and Premises”
Reviewed 12 October 2010

After a long wait to pass through customs - coupled with slight anxiety over the fact that I'd miscalculated the number of months left on my passport - 6 are needed to enter Morocco, mine was three weeks short (but I don't think they noticed) - we were met by a car sent by Riad El Mansour and treated to one of the fastest taxi rides we've ever experienced - until, of course, we arrived in the centre and the traffic was jammed solid.

Eventually we parked and we were taken for a 100-yard walk along a narrow lane (that buzzed with mopeds), passing fruit stalls, butchers (live animals) and blacksmiths - all in small shops adjacent to one-another - leading to an even narrower, unmade-up alley with people sitting on their front doorsteps; donkey carts and construction workers, all in close proximity to one-another. After a couple of hundred yards we wound up at an ornate black door, opening into Riad El Mansour, a small oasis of peace and tranquillity.

Riad El Mansour is beautifully appointed, tastefully furnished and is decorated with traditional metalwork and some wood ceilings. We stayed in the suite for six nights. Sadly we had a couple of problems while we were there - the first was a smelly bathroom, which turned out to be a broken joint to the rear of the toilet (fixed within 48 hours). The second issue was the lack of hot water for a couple of days due to a faulty pump. Robert the owner was there and made sure that that was fixed quickly, although it broke his heart when he heard the price. Apparently plumbers are expensive in Morocco as well as the UK.

The good thing about my reporting this here, is that it's now very unlikely that future visitors will experience the same problems. Yes it was very annoying when it happened to us, but there wasn't much more that the Riad could have done in order to make our stay comfortable again.

The Morocco experience was a little intimidating at first, even though I'm 6'5". I think it was the sheer pace of everything, especially in the lanes that you have to walk through to get to the road (and footpath) to the main square. It felt like we had mopeds coming at us from all directions, all narrowly avoiding collision with us and with passing donkey carts and cars/delivery vans. The place felt totally mental and overwhelming and it took a few days to realise that nobody was being hit by anything - we saw no accidents. It seems that the average Moroccan's spacial awareness is vastly superior to mine and, I guess, that of most Europeans who are used to maintaining a 'safe distance' from other vehicles, and who wouldn't contemplate driving at 30mph within touching distance of children, elderly people and donkey carts. I said to the driver who returned us to the airport after our holiday, 'you're an F1 driver', which he loved and acknowledged by thanking me for the comment.

We ate a couple of times at the Riad - both occasions the meal and service were excellent and the terrace very romantic. Another highlight was the massage - we've travelled the world and I've never had better. I think the lady's name is Mezzi. She's an absolute star.

On leaving early in the morning we met three of the staff standing at their doors - I hadn't realised until then that they were nearby residents. I'm not sure if it was coincidence that they were there, but it was very nice to have them see us off in that way.

The Riad arranged a trip for us up the Atlas Mountains. On the way there we were taken by our guide to a Berber house, (cows living indoors etc.) and fed bread and honey. I made the mistake of eating the butter (which in fairness looked dodgy), thinking I'd cope - but I didn't. I paid the price for the rest of that day and the following day. DON'T EAT THE BUTTER!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnnyd21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We spent 2 nights at the riad el mansour, the staff were amazing, nothing too much trouble. The rooms were traditional in style but provided everything you would need, they were cleaned twice every day. Food was great. Roof terrace relaxing.

The riad was in the medina so got to see the 'real' marrakech. The only down side was the walk through the alleyways to reach taxis.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in! I cannot recommend highly enough the staff who did everying to make me and my friend welcome and our stay enjoyable. They helped us organise trips and recommended fantastic restaurants. They even went to the trouble of walking with us through the alleyways at night so that as two girls travelling alone, we would not feel afraid. The Riad is beautifully decorated with authentic Moroccan furniture and the carved wooden ceilings are fantastic. We also tried out the Hamman which was a completely relaxing and soothing experience.
If you are going to Marrakech then you must stay here!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We had a fabulous room on the ground floor, beautifully decorated in purples. Abdess made us feel so welcome before we even met him and was really impressed with an email the day before asking if we would like to take dinner at the riad on our first night.

When we arrived Abdess greeted us warmly and nothing was too much trouble for the staff here, they were all friendly and helpful. They called taxis, restaurants, the country club we visited.

The food was also excellent, breakfast was enormous!

A very beautiful riad in a good location with amazing service. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 October 2010

We stayed at 2 riads during our time in Marrakech because of room availability, and the staff at Riad El Mansour made our stay even more enjoyable than our time in Riad Kniza (a higher ranked riad on Trip Advisor). Our room was lovely, super quiet, the a/c worked perfectly, the food was good and the location was within 15 minutes walking to the major sights. The only negative for us was that the free wifi did not work in our room at all, only in the common area, where it was quite hot. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there otherwise, and were so appreciative of the wonderful staff. They made us feel so comfortable without being intrusive at all. We would definitely stay here again and will recommend it to friends.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Location - Be prepared to walk through alleyways to get to the Riad. For me this was exciting because you get a sense of the local community and its unique atmosphere. That's why I rated it a 5.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. My bags didn't arrive with my flight and they were very accommodating with trying to follow up on my behalf. The breakfasts were yummy, especially the freshly squeezed orange juice.

We stayed in several rooms starting with the twin, the double and then the suite. All were beautifully presented in true Morrocan style with lots of interesting little features that made my friend and I want to go out and purchase.

Specify your preference unless you are comfortable with a member of the opposite sex doing your massage.

My friend and I would certainly return to the same venue if we had the opportunity.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2010

It only took less than 30 minutes after making my reservation to start to enjoying their excellent service!! An email confirmation assured that I will be picked up at 23:35 at the airport and offer to purchase my train ticket to Fez!

Upon arrival - It's like a sanctuary!! You have to see it for yourself!

It was a last minute trip and I did not do any homework on Marrakech but with the help of the lovely people in the Riad, I had an fantastic experience exploring the beauty in the midst of the hustle and bustle in Marrakech! I felt so much at ease, travelling solo, knowing that they will be there when I need them! It was a great start of my 10 days holiday in Morocco!

AND the massage was excellent! I had wanted to change my schedule and stay for a few more days and therefore My ONLY REGRET is that I could not stay longer!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo