“5 nights in Riad Assouel”
Review of Riad Assouel

Riad Assouel
Ranked #206 of 1,167 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff and especially the French owner is so friendly, helpful and really gives you a warm welcome. You really feel yourself at home : very nice, warm and cosy decoration of the places. It is also a beautiful house in the middle of the Medina and inside it is remarkably quiet. They also have a great cook : typical Moroccan dishes tasted great.
If you want to relax a bit after a busy, crowdy day in the city, the rooftop terrace is a must !

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We went here for my boyfriends birthday and it couldn't have been a more special stay. From the hussle and bustle of the city this literally was a complete oasis in the middle of the medina. As soon as you walked through the door it was so peaceful and traquil you really felt as if you had arrived on holiday. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and were so friendly and so eager to help you with any questions or problems that you had. We rented a car for the day, which was a lot of fun, to drive to Essuoria, a port town on the coast. On our way back in the dark we got lost on the outskirts of the city (and the driving there is pretty crazy!). We called up Mohammed (riad employee) who drove from his home to come and find us and we followed him on his moped all the way back to the riad! He was our life saviour! I dont think you would even get that in a 5* hotel. The staffs kindness was unimaginable. Everything in the pictures is exactly what they say they are and the rooms were very clean with fresh towels everyday. I coudn't fault this place. It was so easy to organise trips through the riad (we went to the atlas mountains) and also offered many spa and hamman treatments in the riad. It is advisable to get the driver from the riad when you arrive as otherwise it would be quite difficult to find on your first visit, it is worth the money as it makes the journey hassle free. i would 100% recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Minnie S
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had a lovely week at riad Assouel. The staff were so kind and helpful. There was a very hospitable welcoming feel to the riad. The trips organised were possibly slightly overpriced. There a few bits in the room that didn't work (bedside lamps etc). The decor was beautiful and the atmosphere created was peaceful and relaxing, despite being in the heart of the medina. Excellent location. We walked everywhere we wanted to visit in the city

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Clarkedv
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Nice and private, good location (near jemaa el fna square) but a bit hidden in the smalls streets of the medina. Luxurious, big and comfortable rooms but a bit dark. Good people, the staff was extremely helpful

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This riad was chosen based on reviews and price for 4 persons in one room (£128). This riad is lovely and all other reviews are spot on when they say its a hidden gem! Walking up to the riad is definitely an experience with motorbikes zooming by but this is just a taste of marrakech and definitely wast you should expect! Once in the riad you'll be delighted with the cool peaceful ambience. We went in August and it was boiling hot! 49c one day at 4pm, but the riad remained a cool escape especially for a young family. Would I recommend, yes but maybe when it's cooler so you can walk around at ease...will return one day. Please note we are used to Dubai standard hotels....& have no complaints. As for any war zone style reviews that might put you off, then don't be just go for it and enjoy Marrakech! Nuhdeen, Mounir & Fatiwah were all lovely too!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank jen1982
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Good rooms, lovely pool. Location is about 800m north of the Souks. This is the only Riad I stayed at, so can't really compare - but it felt a little bit on the expensive side for what it is. 20% cheaper and you'd be feeling - great place. Really enjoyed our stay though, and having a pool to cool off in is a godsend. Staff were helpful, after we checked in they ran through the various options of what we might want (guided tours, hamman etc) which didn't come across as 'selling', just very helpful when they know you're in town for two days and want to get the most out of it. If it's your first time in marrakech, I would recommend getting a guide to walk you around for the first half day (400 DH or 40 Euros), as the alleys of the Medina are pretty confusing (on my own on day 2, I went round and round in circles trying to find an ATM)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I have to tell you I was a bit nervous booking inside the Medina and not a big hotel chain. This was my first trip to Marrakech but, I am certain it will not be my last. I booked this off the internet just from surfing around. When I arrived in Marrakech I was totally overwhelmed by the city. The Riad was very accomadating and came out and met us in the parking lot and brought us through the winding streets to this oasis. The minute you walk through the doors the sound of the city quiets. Also, I realized you can never know too many Muhammads. I mean that sincerely. Muhammad 1 checked us in and walked us around the entire Riad and up to the rooftop lounge area. Muhammad 2 walked us through the Medina to Jemaa el-Fnaa square. When we went out to a late dinner, the staff walked us to the restaurant and offered to walk us back as well. I also ate dinner at the Riad and the food was excellent. I needed a guide 1 day because I was left on my own and Muhammad 1 had one there in an hour for me. Very affordable and a great aura in this Riad.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends