“Excellence at its best...”
Review of Riad Al Massarah

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riad Al Massarah
Ranked #94 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 3 December 2012

This is not only (most probably) the best boutique small hotel in Marrakech, but one of the best on the planet earth.

My wife and I stayed in this very exclusive riad by end of October and we really fall in love with the place.

Our experience started with the first moment we arrive to the end of the driveway next to the Bab Al Douqala Mosque. We were met by David there and accompanied to the Riad through the narrow, busy streets of Medina. You need to remember the big palm tree and hand washing place on the street. After making few turns in the labyrinth of Medina we stopped by a small wooden door. When we entered through the door, we left all the chaos of Medina behind. The courtyard in the center of Riad was so peaceful and the hosts were so welcoming...

The owners, Michael and Michel are incredibly helpful to ensure your Marrakech experience is a memorable one. I strongly recommend every guest to ask and get their suggestions about shopping and dining and travelling out of Marrakech. We have flew to/from Casablanca and asked them to arrange us a transfer from/to Casablanca airport. The cost was reasonable and the service was exceptional. They have also helped us day trips to Atlas Mountains and Essouira, which both were very nice.

During our stay we have stayed in three different rooms. Namely, Violine, Ambre and Azur. All are decorated very tastefully. All have a different story and character. Every single detail is perfectly designed. Especially the bathrooms are incredibly beautiful.

The staff is amazing. Their hospitality is unbeatable. They work to delight you. Breakfasts are just delicious and everything is homemade.

Before our arrival to Marrakech, we have received several e-mails concerning our trip from the Riad. They have also recommended us to have the first night dinner in the Riad, since we would be tired and not familiar with the labyrinth like streets of Medina. However, we decided to have our hotel dinner on our last night. I will definitely recommend everyone to do the same as us. The food is so delicious in the hotel (and obviously prepared as per your wishes) that you might not enjoy any other place later on. Since we had plenty of lamb during our stay on our last nigh we decided to have a "Fish Tagine" which was just, just excellent... It couldn't be any better than this...

Normally in every trip, we go to a place and we try to stay in a nice, small hotel that will make the trip enjoyable and pleasant. However the objective is not to stay in the hotel but to see the city. I can definitely say that, staying in Al Massarah is by itself an experience not to be missed. Marrakech becomes as the bonus for your stay. Should you be travelling to Marrakech, definitely try to stay in Al Massarah at least for one night. You will understand what I meant...

Reviewed 25 October 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed three nights at Al Massarah earlier in October and loved our stay. Our host David was incredibly welcoming but not overpowering, offering helpful advice and tips. Later in the week we met owner Michel who continued to extend this hospitality. The riad is tucked away on a busy street in a less touristy area of the medina and offers a glimpse of daily life in Marrakech. We ate at the riad on our first night - fantastic quality and breakfasts were also a delight on the roof terrace. We each had a hammam at the riad itself which was a fantastic experience and great to be able to return straight to your room afterwards. Room was clean, spacious and well decorated with very generous bathroom. Would definitely recommend this riad to others.

Room Tip: Would suggest that Jade room is definitely the best in the heat of summer with the benefit of outdoo...
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Lovely Riad, clean, nice rooms, recommend the terrace (we loved it and it was nice having breakfast there in the morning) especially the yoghurt and granola - YUMMY! Really kind, helpful staff, really felt they were wanting us to enjoy our time there. Advise was available, books galore in the library but not in your face, very approachable and helpful with sound advice. We ate there the first night, lovely meal and great service. Thoroughly recommend the Hammam and massages, again very PROFESSIONAL (a little more personal than in UK), but a really good experience and very relaxing and fun - give yourself over and enjoy it!! I thought we were very central in the old town and just loved all the weekend - can not think of anything bad to say .... just book and enjoy. Try the plunge pool too, lovely after a hot walk around the souks.

Room Tip: I had a peek on the last day and all rooms are nice, the terrace is nice if free but if not don'...
1  Thank JanBath
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The intimate riad was lovingly restored about four years ago, the vibe is chic yet laidback. The decor is light and airy, combining modern European sensibilities with traditional Moroccan touches. The service before and during the stay was impeccable. Michel, Micheal and David were wonderful hosts; Michel's shopping recommendations were perfect, he knew exactly what we wanted. The entire staff was courteous, warm and efficient. Planning to return.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LCSkill
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I recently stayed at the Riad Al Massarah by myself for a week. I won't reiterate all the amazing feedback already posted here, other than to say that I agree with everything written and could not fault my stay here.

Michael, Michel and David were all lovely and incredibly helpful. It was like they were totally in tune with what I felt like doing and the type of holiday I wanted - every restaurant/activity recommendation was spot on.

The staff are just lovely as well - charming and discreet - I had one of them wait up for me when I went out late one night to ensure I was home safely! It really does feel like you are staying at a friend's house.

The Riad also attracts like minded people as I met several lovely guests during my stay here.

Like others posting here I was also very impressed with their commitment to the local environment and community.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AndieSydney
Reviewed 30 September 2012

No need to re-hash all the positives about this riad, other than it's perfect in every way (beautiful breakfast!).

Great location, interesting to see the daily lives of the real Marrakechis, rather than the display put on for tourists in the Souks and Square. Great little local market just around the corner, the Jardin Majorelle (best thing about Marrakech apart from this Riad) is a short walk.

We spent most of our time in the common areas admiring the stunning attention to detail, on the balcony under the bougainvillea or in an armchair by the pool and fountain leafing through design and cookbooks from the collection in the library.

Al Massarah is a must, especially since they are genuinely giving back and generously supporting the local community.

Room Tip: Any of them. The common area is large enough that it becomes a beautiful extension to your room whic...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We had the most delightful stay at Riad Al Massarah. The property is hidden away in a less touristed area but only a 10 -15 minute walk to the old town (jemaa el-fnaa, souks etc). The accommodation is stunning and the service is outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple