What a wonderful hotel - not only compared to the other hotels we stayed at in Marrakech and Essaouria but also compared to other hotels around the world. Everything, from their own map of Marrakech to the breakfasts on the roof terrace, was done for the comfort and enjoyment of the guests.
The five greatest things about this hotel?
1. The French and English owners were on site. At the other places we stayed the owners were absent, which resulted in a different level of service, language problems and a lack of attention to detail. All of which you will not find at Al Massarah.
2. The Medina (old town) of Marrakech can be a nightmare to navigate. You know the arguments you used to have in cars about map-reading, before sat nav's existed? Expect to have them in Marrekech when you're on foot. But Al Massarah does everything to help - from pointing out landmarks when they've picked you up, to providing their own map with detailed routes from the hotel to the main attractions, recommended restaurants and best shops. Furthermore the riad is just off a main thoroughfare, making it easy to get around. And it's not in the touristy area.
3. The staff were very well trained and obviously enjoyed working there. Nothing was too much bother for them. They played Bach in the mornings, and jazz in the afternoons.
4. The hotel is very well laid and thought out. The rooms were beautifully turned out, there are chairs dotted around on all floors, the roof terrace has great loungers, the fireplace was lit every night... and the breakfast was different every day.
5. Michel, Michael (the owners) or David (their manager) advise you on anything you want to know - where to buy the best tassles, where to eat the most local food, how to get around. They arranged so many things for us - taxi's, bus tickets to Essaouria, making our trip hassle free.
I wish I was still there...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Responsibly run Riad with La Clef Verte accreditation and Travel Life Gold Award for sustainable tourism. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Riad Al Massarah Marrakech
- Riad Al Massarah Hotel Marrakech