Riad Al Massarah
Riad Vendome & Spa Marrakech(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$81
  • Breakfast included
Palmeraie Palace(Marrakech)
US$216
US$211
Hotels.com
Adam Park Marrakech Hotel & Spa(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$123
  • Breakfast included
US$747
US$194
Elvoline
All reviewsowners michaelroof terraceatlas mountainsamazing hostsplunge poolmint teaa great place to stayyogurttaginemain squaremichelhammamriadmedinamoroccocarminaguide
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 March 2011

This was my second time staying at the riad. The first was just under 6 months ago on a romantic anniversary trip. This time I traveled with friends and it was equally as wonderful. Michael and Michel arranged a lovely 3 day stay at the riad with excellent service. We were a group travelling from Europe and the US. Everyone's needs were met. Massages, hammams, drinks, afternoon tea, lunches and dinners were all enjoyed at the riad. Our last night was a wonderful dinner cooked by the very talented chef set up in the atrium. The staff were wonderful throughout- very professional and always smiling. The menu was decided by the group with some good suggestions made by the riad owners. We also had local musicians playing during dinner which added to the ambiance.
Our group filled up all the rooms but one in the riad. It was a lovely place to stay as a group- everyone had their own space when they wanted it, but the relaxed feel and the cosiness of the riad made it feel like we were staying at someone's house (without anyone having to cook, clean or stress about keeping everyone''s needs met the whole time- Michael and Michel's cleverness and professional service took care of that).

Thank you so much for a wonderful return to Al Massarah. I'll certainly be back!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We had the most wonderful, relaxing stay at Riad Al Massarah. Without Michel, Michael and their exceptional team, I don't think my friend and I would have had such an amazing holiday. Michel and Michael have impeccable taste, the Riad is a mix of Morrocan/French influence. It has been lovingly restored and you can see and feel the amount of detail, time, effort and love that has been put into the Riad - really beautifully done.

We had dinner at the hotel on our first night and the food was delicious! Breakfast was a highlight for me, homemade yogurt - the best I have tasted. The chef even passed on his top tip.

All the team helped us plan our short stay in Marrakech with their advice and top tips. I had one of the best holidays I have had in a longtime - really memorable.

We are all ready planning our trip back, hopefully later this year. I would highly recommend anyone to stay at this beautiful Riad, a real hidden gem and honestly you won’t be disappointed. Michel, Michael and their team are just outstanding.

Thank you Michel for taking care us both and for going that extra mile! We hope to see you soon xx

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2011

The worst thing about Riad Al Massarah is that you have to leave! This was our second stay at this haven of peace. This time we took along great friends who were doing their first Riad type holiday. As is often the case we were a little nervous that we might have over egged our praise of Michael, Michel and the team and that our chums might be a little disappointed. It would appear not. They loved it too! Please go and stay there. It is one of the most wonderfully relaxing experiences you can have. Take good comfy shoes as there is so much to see and do. Eat with the Riad please as The Chef is excellent but also try other places and Michael and Michel have an encyclopedic knowledge of good eateries.
A second stay and it gets better!
This is the first place I have ever returned to because I loved it so much.
Thanks Guys

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We spent at Riad Al Massarah hotel three nights and it was really nice.Firstly the friendly service given by all the staff was surprisingly good. The owners, Michael and Michel were always ready to give you all kinds informations that you need. Location is fantastic if you would like to stay inside of the Medina. It was complicated to find your way at the beginning but you can get used in a very short time. To stay in the Medina was really great experience.
The All Massarah itself was perfect. All the rooms were nicely decorated with great attantions for all of the details. When you enter the door of the hotel after a long day, you feel relaxed.
I recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to explore Marakesh from the old city.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2011

I am very delayed in posting this review, but, as I watch yet more snow fall from the dreary Midwestern sky, my thoughts harken back to my wonderful stay at this riad last spring. There are lots of top-flight riads in Marrakech, and this is one of them. We stayed in the room on the rooftop-- it was worth paying a little extra for that sanctuary. It's hard to add substantively to the rave reviews, but here are a few small touches that I remember. I was usually up by 7:00 a.m. and reading outside my room. The chef always brought me a tray of coffee, complete with warm milk (because you can't put cold milk in coffee!) and sugar cubes shaped like the four card suits. The homemade yogurt at breakfast was great, and when my husband asked for an omelet with cheese, the chef whipped that together (which involved a quick trip to the market for cheese, I think). Need a glass of wine? Ask and you shall receive. My only criticism is that the manager dissuaded us from leaving a big tip, under the guise that big tips disrupt the local economy. If only I held that much power! My general impression of Morocco is that Europeans like to travel there in part because it's inexpensive, sort of like Americans and Mexico. It's true that the dollar goes a long way here, but all the more reason to tip generously. The chef was there starting at 7 am, and he was usually still there when we returned to the riad after a late dinner. I think someone who works 16-hour days and provides excellent customer service should be recognized. By the way, the entire riad staff worked hard and provided excellent customer service, and we tipped accordingly. Enough of my tip rant. The other day, I asked my husband about his favorite lodgings of all time. His top choice was a B&B in Merida, Mexico, that is no longer open. This riad came in second. I concur. I recommend Riad Al Massarah without reservation.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
MichaelMK, Owner at Riad Al Massarah, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2011

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy that you had such a good experience with us. Just a couple of points. The tipping one is so difficult here. I have seen independent guides that have recommended 10% of the hotel bill as a norm in Morocco. I think that excessive. We have looked at different ways of suggesting from a set amount say 80dhs per day per room, to 10% of the service charge, that is drinks and meals without accommodation. At the end of the day we suggest a range an leave it to guests. All the tips in the tip box get shared equally. We try to pay our staff a living wage so that they are not reliant on tips, but they do appreciate recognition by guests of the efforts and that little extra always helps. I think perhaps you are right and we ought not to have discouraged you from showing your appreciation in a very generous way.

By the way, Abdelwahed the chef especially works hard, and all the staff do. He is a treasure and is there early in the morning, and if there is a dinner late at night. But nearly every day he goes home 11.00/12.00 and returns 17.00/18.00. So it just appears like a 16 hour day. Exceptionally he will work longer, but gets paid extra for it. And he either gets a 1.5days off a week or gets paid extra, unlike a lot of other Riads. Hope that calms you fears that we exploit him.