“Disgusting, not worht the MONEY”
Review of Riad Shama

Riad Shama
Ranked #179 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Disgusting, not worht the MONEY”
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I stayed at this Riad in February 2011, I found that it was not to the standards, or stars it claimes, the pictures, and write up in the Kuoni brochure are not of this property.
It actually stands at the near end of an alleyway in the slum area of Marrakech, it's a cold, dark, damp property, which is under renovation, or so they say? {but this was not told to me at the time ob my booking}. The roof garden is absolutley filthy, with dirt, and the only views are of the rooves of the slum houses, and woshing, along with satellite dishes on them.
The food comes up cold, and greasy, and very repetitive. They advise you not to use the tap water for anything but bathing. They provide bottles of water in the rooms, for you to drink and clean your teeth with at the end of your stay they will bill you for this, along with any extra coffees, or teas you might have had at breakfast, or dinner times and during the day (2 is your limmett), but no worning will be given as to them doing this. The bottles of water cost me £2-50 each (phew)?
When i booked both I and Thompsons checked with Kuoni to make sure that they did Half Board, and were geard up to do this? We were assured that they were. This was absolutely in my opinion (Lies), as they admitted they were realy only a Bed and Breakfast, short stay facility (this was told me on the day I departed by the General Manager of the group a young Lady.
I left after only part of my stay, this has cost me quite an amount of cash, I strongly advise the older person against staying at this particular Riad, or any of the others within the company, which is Maisons et Traditions, or Epoque Hotels it's partners { it takes 20 to 25 minuts to walk from the properties to the centry of town).
Mr name and address is David Jeal Brighton U.K..

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank DFJ79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2011

i were with my husband in Riad shama last december for the new year's eve, our stay was incredible , the staff was amazing as well, we spent the most beautiful holidays in our entire life, thank you nezha for the delicious morcoccan food and we'll be back next year for sure

Love u all

Michel

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 9 January 2010

My wife and two children aged 19 and 22 stayed at Riad Shama for 5 days between Christmas and New Years. We have lived in Canada, US, Africa and now the UK. Because of our Africa expereince we realize that culture and history on vacation does not always mean 5 stars are available. Riad Shama was an enjoyable small riad. Inside the doors it is somewhat of an oasis with a center coartyard with a small pool. The coartyard was covered when we were there so only average light could get in. The pool was reasonable clean but I would not say pristine. The bedrooms are good size all with practical and resonabley equipped self contained bathrooms. We stayed in the junior suite which as a good size. Although the rooms were clean you could feel a film on the blankets (likely just due to poor water for washing). The service was very good. The hostess was attentive. She at times was a little pushy but not over the top. A young man by the name of Adi assisted her and was marvelous. He derserved every bit of the tip I left him. The roof terrace is nice and confortable in good weather. The Riad is close to a mosque to the morning prayers may bother you if you are a light sleeper (they did not bother me). We ate breakfast every day there which was very nice and we had two dinners at the Riad which we good local cuisine. You can tell them early in the day that you will eat there and can request the menu (fish, chicken, etc) The issue is location. As soon as you open the door you are in a very small alley way in the far corner of the Medina. Although we did not get accosted in the alley way if was filthy and dirty. Also it is a fairly long walk to the Medina Square through small streets with crazy traffic wizzing by. The Medina is not the cleanest place so the alley filth is less of an issue than the location. I have not stayed in other Riads so I can not compare. Despite liking the Riad if I was to return to Marrakech I would likely find something closer to the Square (but not too close). If you do not like a third world setting I advise you stay outside the Medina in a traditional hotel and walk into the square everyday.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Canadian_Nomad22
UK
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Riyad Shama scores top points in every respect.
Our stay there was magical.

A glorious setting by the ground floor pool
– for dinner, surrounded by lanterns and candles,
lunch, or drinks.

The bedrooms are beautifully decorated and
spacious – as are all the public areas. The
staff are delightful and helpful – nothing was
too much trouble. The cook is excellent.

A wonderful atmosphere and sense of calm.

• Stayed May 2009
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed 23 November 2008

After touring Morocco for a week and having several excellent stays in Riads in Fes and Rabat we were expecting the same quality level as we found in the other locations. Unfortunately that was not the case. Shama is located in particularly out-of-the-way location in the Medina with difficult access. The rooms were small and stuffy due to the use of the wood burning fireplace and incense to cover-up the odor coupled with virtually no ventilation. There was in fact one small window in the bathroom and windows on to the common walkway in the front of the room which, for privacy, could not be opened. We remained only one of the four nights we had booked as we found the place unacceptable. Since we had prepaid we suffered a financial loss as Shama would not grant us any credit even though we had expressed extreme dissatisfaction with the rooms. We had dinner and breakfast at the riad which were not up to the standards we had experienced in other riads. There was no management staff on site and the place appears to be run by two young men who do the cooking and all other required services. The riads proximity to the local minaret is another issue as the first call to prayer is before 4am.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
6 Thank Princeton_traveler1
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed 21 November 2008

I hate to rain on everyone's parade but we thought this place was awful. Just to put this statement in context, this was the 5th stop on our recent trip to Morocco that included two other riads - villa manderine in Rabat and Riad Fez , both of which we loved (see my TA reviews) and this was the only place we hated. In fact, we had booked and pre-paid for 4 nights but after one night elected to move to another place and risk losing the money (which, in fact, we did). The room was dark, dreary and very small. The only window opened out on to the corridor and so if you wanted some air it meant people could easily look into your room. We had dinner that night and breakfast the next morning before we left and both were, at best, mediocre. The roof terrace that everyone else seems to like had lots of close-up views of satellite dishes on nearby buildings. On the positive side, the staff of young people were lovely and extremely helpful. However, there was no management person on site for most of the time we were there. And, oh yes, you should know that there is a mosque right next door. So, at 3:45 am, be prepared to be awakened by the Iman chanting the call to prayer as if he was standing at the foot your bed! As other people have mentioned, it is out of the way, hard to find and in a pretty lousy section of the medina.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
6 Thank TeamMan
evesham
Reviewed 19 November 2008

just returned from amazing trip to Marrakech, stayed in the above riad and even hubbie , tough Geordie had a tear to leave.
They say a riad is an oasis and it is so true.
Even having read up so much on the subject and visiting the city before, I must admit had a few nerves as we drove through the medina.
then you come to these huge doors and open them up to a little piece of heaven.
Candles and lanterns squishy settees and lovely rooms.
Inscence and rose petals on the bed and through the room !
Breakfast up on the roof in what had to be high 20 degrees cos I burnt my nose.
Staff spoke mostly french, but I quite enjoy remembering those classes 20 plus years ago, we always got hthem to understand.
Room was kept so clean and must admit that lovely big bed was a luxury, cafe au lait sat on the veranda just outside the doors was one of my highlighrs may of been the morrocan pastries.
It was about a 15 minute walk to the main square and souk along normal marrakech lanes, got lost first time but hen walked both ways for rest of weekend, part of the fun and culture.
I am sorry to say that I felt safer stood outside a shop here than I do in most towns and cities in the Uk at night , locals love the tourists and always welcome you !
I loved it all can't wait to rerturn !!!
i f you are thinking of going have an open mind, except that it is a different world, if you want a beach holiday stay with spain !!

• Liked — Peace and relaxation
  • Disliked — No alcohol but you expect that in a riad in a muslim counry
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple