“Worst Hotel...”

Palmeraie Village Residence
washington, dc
“Worst Hotel...”
Reviewed 8 November 2009

...I've stayed at in many years. Granted, there was a bit of a mismatch between the purpose of our travel (an international conference involving a number of VIPs) and the purpose for which the Village was apparently built (family getaways). Our delegation did not choose to stay at the Village; the choice was made for us by the conference organizers, and there were bound to be some drawbacks for a group in Marrakesh on business.

For example there are almost no facilities at the Village and it is far away from anything. The hotel shuttles to the affiliated Palmeraie Golf Palace are infrequent and unreliable, and when taxis do appear at the Village, their drivers are determined to gouge the hapless resident who has no other choice. The Village is vast and the layout is perplexing. Those lucky enough to be assigned to an apartment closest to the Reception (Block E) should be able to master the roads and paths they need to navigate to get to and from their apartment. Those lodged farther away can expect very long and very confusing walks between their apartment and the Reception area. (No taxis circulate inside the Village and there is no Village transportation except during checkin.) Even those among us with the best sense of direction found ourselves hopelessly lost on the Village's labyrinthine pathways. This is especially frustrating when trying to make a meeting or coming home in the dark after a long day.

In addition to the isolation and inconvenience of the location and layout, those staying in the Village are in a near-total communications blackout. Forget Wi-Fi or anything fancy: there is no internet access available at the Village, period. When I checked in the staff noted to me that their system is "broken" but wouldn't elaborate or specify when it might be fixed, if ever. (They kindly offered to let me use their front desk computer, but with dozens of delegates needing access, that was not a sustainable solution.) I have internet access through my mobile, but the mobile signal in most of the Village is very weak, and I was unable to get on line more than once or twice.

Most bizarrely, the Front Desk at the Village lacks the ability to transfer a call, whether the call is coming in from outside the Village or another room. This problem means you basically cannot receive a landline call. Each apartment at the Village has a unique telephone extension, but unlike a normal hotel, where your room number is your extension, at the Village the extensions are different. For example in my case my apartment number was 642 (not really, I changed it for the sake of anonymity) and my telephone extension was 645. That is strange, but what is even stranger is that the Front Desk does not have a list of the phone extensions for its own rooms! When I checked in, I asked the Front Desk to verify the hotel's phone number and made sure that if anyone called for me they could reach me by asking for me in my apartment number, and they said yes. Despite these assurances, when someone did call some hours later, she was told by the Front Desk that they couldn't transfer her to my apartment because they didn't know the phone number in the apartment and they didn't have a list. That is nothing short of incredible to me, and it is the first time in a lifetime of travels that I've ever heard of such disorganization.

The staff is friendly and tries to help, but is poorly led and by all appearances lacks even the most fundamental training. After discerning that the Village experience was going to be a difficult one, I decided to smooth the way for an incoming member of our delegation by checking at the Front Desk to determine which apartment she would be assigned to and making sure she would be close to the Reception. I was assured she would be in the E Block. However when she arrived just a few hours later she was assigned to a far-flung apartment. It turns out the Front Desk had her arrival date wrong. No one noticed that when I made my inquiry that morning. No one offered any apology or remedy.

It was in the ensuing confusion and mad room-switching that we realized the rooms each have their own unique "character" in that each seems to lack at least some basic feature or functionality. We went through six different rooms before we could each settle, and even then we did not have the minimum we needed. For example, in two rooms the phones were completely dead -- not even a dial-out capability. In three rooms there was no safe. In one room the sliding glass door to the living room would not lock. (This was the same door through which, in another apartment, a colleague's laptop was stolen.) Finally worn down, I elected to stay in a safe-less room. I asked the Front Desk to install a safe, and within an hour a worker arrived carrying a small electronic safe. His idea of installing it, though, was unusual; he merely set it down on a shelf, unattached to anything. Anyone who wanted to make off with the safe and all its contents needed only to tuck it under one arm (it was about as big as a briefcase) and walk away. I told him I was worried by this possibility, and he merely said "don't worry, no one would do that."

The Village failed to provide even minimum standards in many other areas. Another reviewer mentioned the bugs; that's a natural consequence of locating a hotel in desert scrub, but disconcerting to some nonetheless. I don't care so much about bathroom appointments, but there is no shower curtain in any of the apartments, and water goes everywhere.

I mentioned the staff is friendly. They are, but they are also largely unhelpful. When we reported the problems we were having, the usual response was a sort of (verbal or nonverbal) shrug. Either the staff didn't understand that such issues were genuine problems, or they didn't have any idea what to do about them and just decided to smile their way through.

I get it that the Village is supposed to be a place to go and relax, not worry about such things as safes and internet access and shower curtains, but for the price we paid (over $200/night) we should have gotten much, much better.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank wjschmonsees

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 4 November 2009

I went for a large conference and I would never recommend this hotel. My bathroom was covered in hundreds of flies. I called the desk and they sent someone the next morning who sprayed but, left the dead flies in the tub. There were roaches and sewage smell. the furniture was filthy. Food prices are very high, over $5 for a Coke, $15 for the breakfast. One colleague had her lap-top stolen when she was taking a shower. The walkways are uneven cobble stone and badly lit so it is dangerous to walk to the restaurant at night and it is a labryinth so everyone in our large party kept getting lost. The workers were very nice and tried to be helpful but this does not meet the standards of a 4 star. Maybe a two?? No internet connection in the Village.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Trailing-Spouse

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 28 October 2009

we stayed there for two nights during the grand prix and caftan fashion show.
it has great great rates for marrakech and it's nicely furnished with lovely gardens and swimming pools. i will stay there again for sure.
if you are looking for a place to stay away from all the hustle and bustle of marrakech, i suggest this place. if not, i suggest you find a ryad in the medina.
great place, great city!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Derbyshire, UK
Reviewed 28 June 2009

I find trip advisor invaluable, so after returning from these apartments on Friday I wanted to share my experience!

We arrived at the apartments very early in the morning, at about 11am after spending 200 dirhams on a taxi from the airport (this is the going rate). The reception staff were very friendly & checked us in straight away, with 2 male staff escorting us to our apartment & showing us how everything (air con, window shutters, etc) worked.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment on the ground floor which slept 4 very comfortably. The rooms were spotless & the decor typical Moroccan, carved ornate ceilings & lots of low lighting. The kitchen was excellent, fridge, freezer, cooker & coffee/tea making facilities. Each bedroom had patio doors which opened on to terraces looking straight into lush green gardens. The windows also all had metal shutters which come down at the touch of a button & made us feel very secure throughout our stay.

Staff in general were fantastic, and they actually speak very good English as our French/Arabic is somewhat limited! There is a free shuttle bus into Marrakech stopping at various points which was most useful as these apartments are out of the town & taxis cost 100 dirhams for us to return from Marrakech centre.

The apartment grounds are beautiful, although generally cobbled so may be difficult for those with mobility issues. The supermarket is about a 15/20 minute walk away & very expensive so I'd recommend purchasing food in the town if possible. The pool area was fantastic, lovely pools & lots of seating & shade. We ate at the pool restaurant twice during our stay, and although slightly expensive & limited in what they offer, the food was excellent quality & portion sizes were large.

The main hotel is a shuttle ride away & has lots to offer, including a golf course, shops & restaurants. As far as I am aware, these facilities are also available for those staying at the apartments.

In general this was an excellent holiday, although out of town, it was a welcome retreat from the city!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 27 June 2009

We were extremely disappointed with our stay. The apartment itself was lovely, spacious and well designed. However, our sincere advice (which seems to be consistent with other guest we met) is to stay away, and spend your money more wisely!

Here’s why.

Rats in the rooms; awful unbearable stink of sewage/drains in the bedrooms; air-conditioning not working, when it was ‘fixed’, it consistently broke down; no cutlery / kitchen equipment; fridge door broken; no lock on the sliding doors (very poor security); ‘our garden’ directly overlooked the main staff entrance! (no privacy at all, and constant loud noise [from staff] 24hrs a day).

In summary; by the fourth day, we’d changed apartments three times (yes, including re-packing everything we’d just unpacked) as well as all the food we’d just bought. Very tedious.

These are supposed to be luxury self-catering apartments, it’s advertised as a 5-Star facility and associated with a 5-Star hotel and golf course. This is definitely NOT the case. This was our ‘big holiday’ this year, it cost us several thousand pounds (Morocco is not cheap!) - we were left with a bitter taste. Not recommended.

The staff on the whole are ‘average’ at best, unfortunately in most cases; useless. This includes the shuttle bus drivers (who have their own agenda), cleaners, and management. Especially the management! The response time to all our very reasonable requests – took days. Simple and reasonable requests such as; a fridge door that actually works (to keep food cool) or to fix the air-conditioning (absolutely no joke in 40 degrees heat with two young toddlers). Even simple requests like tea spoons and cooking utensils took days to organise! We ended up buying our own cooking utensils (so we could at least make a cup of tea!) – we left them in the apartment, at least the next guest will have cutlery! (unless of course it’s stolen by the staff!).

Staff training is the big challenge here; they have absolutely no ‘customer service’ skills, a very poor understanding or appreciation of ‘normal’ European standards, and I’m very disheartened to say that pure dishonesty and theft is rife. From taxi drivers to hotel staff, it seems everybody is ‘on the take’, we inexplicably ‘lost’ two expensive items from the apartment, and the management simply couldn’t be bothered to follow-up. The explanation was that ‘any one could have taken the items’. It does not bode well for tourism generally in Morocco; they still have a very long way to go!

Untrained, unhelpful staff, worse management, rats in rooms, poor equipment, theft and dishonesty. Do not waste your money!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We stayed here with our four children after finding it as good deal on Expedia. Before booking the holiday I checked up the hotel on Trip-advisor and found variable experiences so was cautious when I booked it, about what to expect. I must say we overall were very happy and impressed with the hotel, we stayed in one of Palmeraie Village 3 bed room apartments which are able sleep 6 very easily. Each room had either a king sized bed or 2 singles and the rooms had access onto the large balcony, all the rooms have a traditional finish with amazing ceilings in the sitting room and master bedroom. The apartment we had over looked the Atlas Mountains and is were we had breakfast everyday of our stay. We had our own sitting room and a kitchen, very useful when you have small kids. As for activities, plenty is on offer but obviously at price. The only things included in the price for our package was use of the hotel pool, aqua-gym classes and free transport around the village, to the parent Golf Palace Hotel (great place to play golf or go to Nikki Beach) and to specified Tourist points in Marrakech. The staff were polite and helpful but most were only able to speak either French or Arabic. I would advise people to avoid meals at the Restaurant located next to the pool as it is expensive and although the service is good the quality and selection of food was average, however I would recommend at least one meal at the Golf Palace hotel. To stock the kitchen if you want to cook for yourself on holiday you will have to walk to the local Supermarket which is located 10 mins walk from the main reception but the prices are equivalent to the UK. As for security the entrances to the village have guards 24 hours a day and all the windows to each apartment has metal shuts which come down with a touch of a button. The only down side is that the hotel is NOT central so make sure you make use of the free transport otherwise you will spend a lot of money on taxis.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank MedicGP
Northamptonshire , England
Reviewed 22 March 2009

This hotel is so expensive compared to European hotels of a similar standard , expect to be paying nearly £8 for a can of diet Coke if your foolish enough to ask for someone to bring it to you near the pool ! The hotel boasts that it is 5star but the service lets it down badly , the staff all seemed totally disinterested in the guests and when they did eventually take food & drink orders they were very slow to deliver . Rooms were OK but my bathroom was tired with loose fittings and some chipped tiles . Also very little choice on the TV with no movies and only 2 english speaking channels . Room did have a mini bar but no Tea or coffee making facility . Its worth bearing in mind this complex is pretty big and the gropunds have plenty of steps so bear this in mind if mobility mught be a issue . The grounds of the hotel were tidy and well looked after and there was plenty of beds near the pool but it wasnt easy getting a towel as the pool guys were very elusive .
Overall I wouldn`t recomend this hotel as I felt it was very expensive and no way was it 5 star due to the poor service and the pretty average standard of the rooms

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business